It's St. Louis Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynette:

Please don't appologize for whining, I broke down in the nail salon yesterday. No reason at all, just sitting there having my last manicure and pedicure for quite a while and ....lost it! It happened periodically throughout the day and I suspect it will today also.

I feel that I am about to lose all control for several weeks and that scares the bejeebers out of me. But my husband insists everything will get done. He is very calm and does not make plans, which is even more annoying, but I have to let him handle things his way. Sure enough, it does get done, which is also very annoying. We are the type who try to handle things with humor, which in the long run seems to work for us.

My oldest son also finally broke down last night. He is scared about not being with me and we had a long talk. It is so hard to be strong for him, reassuring, yet honest. I told him he will not be able to see me for a couple of days, because the Dr. will "keep me sleeping" so that I will be more comfortable. I just keep trying to reasure him that all this will be for the best and that I am being helped and I don't have a desease it is just a condition that the Dr. is fixing.

He is out of school, so we are spening the day together, he is helping me prepare. I think that will help.

So, Lynette, don't feel alone. Your feelings are validated! Cry when you have to, laugh if you can. We will get though it. I think the anticipation is the worst. I just want to tomorrow to get here and get this over with, as they say, we must face our fears.

Thanks for helping me through this and I will you. Same to you Laura, I will be thinking of you both as they wheel me in. No one I can talk to right now knows like you do what we feel.

Have a good day, check in.

Melissa

Comment

Melissa - you are an amazing lady and by the sounds of it an outstanding mom. I feel everything you just described - I will be thinking of you tomorrow, and you and Laura are in my thoughts and prayers. I can't wait till we're back on here afterward checking in with each other
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette, being without your boys is understandable, but they will do better than you think. Kids adjust very well. This is your incentive to get well soon.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
          Lynette, being without your boys is understandable, but they will do better than you think. Kids adjust very well. This is your incentive to get well soon.

Lynette, When you come out of the surgery and the boys cannot come to see you, they can make cards and stuff for you.

When you are in rehab, after school they can come and visit with you. They can have dinner together with you; play games .

Before you know it, you will be with them.

I know how you feel and my kids are 17 and 14

Melissa

Melissa

Comment

Doodles/Janet!!! Today is your one year anniversary! Congratulations! I'll tell Dr. Lenke you said hi when I see him tomorrow Just kidding, cuz I probably won't even see him!

Melissa, good luck tomorrow to you! And Lynette...good luck to you on Thursday! We are the 3 Muskateers! Haha!

Today had my central line put in. They gave me an iv of fentynal for the pain while they were doing it, and I ended up getting nauseous from it. Not terrible just a bit.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes! I appreciate it! Look for my sisters posts with updates. I will be back on as soon as I can afterward.

Laura
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young
            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Laura , Best of everything for you tomorrow and look forward to hearing from you on the other side. So you can help people like me over to the other side. You will be in my prayers

Melissa

Comment

You probably don't realise it, but the worst is already behind you girls. This long waiting period is such torture. But suddenly it'll be over! And a new, healthier chapter in life will begin.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lynette, Laura, and Melissa,

The Three Musketeers,

Thank you for braving the way for some of us who will more than likely be following in your footsteps! You are awesome!

Lynette, let me add my vote to the Say Yes to Whining Club. It's really not whining anyway, but rather laying down your fears. I look forward to future whining myself....where else can we feel free to do so?

Best of the best results to you fine women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy
                  Amy
                  58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                  Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                  Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                  2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    You probably don't realise it, but the worst is already behind you girls. This long waiting period is such torture. But suddenly it'll be over! And a new, healthier chapter in life will begin.
                    LADIES!!! SHE IS SO RIGHT!!! Without a doubt the waiting is the worst. JenniferG, you are very wise!!
                    Becky
                    51 years old
                    Married 28 years
                    3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
                    Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
                    Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
                    Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
                    Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
                    Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
                    Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

Laura, Just sending good thoughts and wishes your way. I was in the ICU 8 weeks ago tonight and would never have believed I would be doing this well by now. You'll get there, too, and the time will go by quickly.
                      Hugs from PA,

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Ditto the above post to Melissa and Lynette, too. By the time you read this, you will all have beautiful new backs!

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks, Laura--If you see Dr. Lenke do tell him hi! for me! I actually won't have my one year check until April 21. We were on vacation last week when they could have seen me so this was the next time. One more good luck shout out to the 3 Musketeers--I think that's going to stick. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Reading my last post for inspiration before I pack for the hospital.

Thanks to everyone these posts are just what I needed.

Lynette, good luck!

Will post on return,

Melissa

Comment

to the three musketeers...
                              best of luck to all 3 of you guys...girls..gals...strong women!

you will all come through with flying colors...april is a very lucky month!!

jess

Comment

I'm sitting here reading all your wonderful posts with tears in my eyes, thank you thank you thank you.
                                Laura and Melissa - I'm thinking of you so much, hoping you're both feeling a sense of calm and excitement for the new backs we will have.
                                From one musketeer to the other two musketeers, and to everyone else on this forum, I raise my glass to you all (my pretend one), and make a toast to say here's to a fabulously healthy pain free better future XXX
                                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                                X