Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone up shoes help with back ache from scoli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm... think i'm gonna try a pair in NYC when i go in...i need to try them on cause i have really bad feet from toe oeprations...long story...but i need WIDE toe box on sneakers and shoes...have several pairs custom made shoes...they cost in the thousands of $$..ugh!!
    these things gotta be less than that, right?!

jess

Comment

Jess,
      They had the Bogo's in regular and wide. I'm not sure if they are wide enough to accomodate your toes, but for $34.00 it sure couldn't hurt to try them on.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
        Thanks for that discussion, folks! I am due for a new pair of sneakers, and perhaps I'll look into these. My lunchtime walking partners have them and they are also split 50/50 as to liking them.
        Received the MBTs on Friday & have been wearing them ever sense - the sneaker definitely is as advertised. Excellent shoe and worth every penny .. I've had cheaper look a-likes before, there is no comparison. The combination of bracing and this shoe is just wonderful for me. I had also ordered a merry jane style, they will be going back as they just don't work as well but the sneaker model is tops!

Comment

I hope my Bogo's work. It's all I can afford right now.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

thanks, rohr...but my feet are very narrow
            heel is like a quadruple A...rest of foot is triple A...but toes need wide just cause i had many foot surgeries (dont ask...arthritis twisted the toes...surgeons tried to straighten them...they twisted again))....thus...several pairs of custom made...for mucho money!!

i am going to try them on in a store in NYC that i looked up...that way, i will know if the toe box is wide enuf for me...

thanks again..
            jess

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Rohrer and Mamamax!
              34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
              Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

The actual name for my shoes is TheraShoe. I just happened to get them on the Bogo sale at K-mart, but the shoe nor the box says Bogo on them. They claim to be accepted by the Acadamy of Therapeutic Footwear. I still am not used to them. Sometimes they really throw me off balance and I look like a drunken sailor (sorry to all you drunken sailor's out there ) walking in them. They have a rocker as in rocking chair type design and are supposed improve your posture, exercise your core (tummy, I think), glute and leg muscles, help you walk with improved gait and reduce shock to back, hips, knees, and feet.

Well, my conclusion after using them for over a week now is that I need more PRACTICE in them. Because the center of the shoe is thicker, I tend to step harder which makes me feel like I am INCREASING the shock to my back, hips, knees, and feet. After a while, when I tend to take larger steps so that my heal comes in contact with the ground first, then the shoe seems to "roll" and the impact decreases. It is definitely going to take some getting used to. I haven't noticed any exercise induced pain (the good kind) from them, yet. Maybe I need more time in them.

I'm definitely NOT giving up on them, I've only had them a week, like I said. My dear hubby noticed the funniest thing about them, that is purely coincidental I'm sure. If you look at the bottom of this shoe, there is a design on the bottom that looks like a scoliotic spine. So now he calls them my scoliosis shoes! I've gotta have a sense of humor! I, too, have too many pairs of shoes to count. I kind of have to sneak them in and hope that he notices slowly. He always notices right away and says, "Another pair of shoes?! How many shoes do you need?" This is coming from a man that has a pair of work boots (he's a mechanic), a pair of pseudodress shoes, a pair of sandals that he RARELY wears, and slippers. That's it! He wears his pseudodress shoes everywhere. It drives me nuts! Oh well, I gotta love him. He puts up with my shoe obsession.

So for all you shoe fanatics out there, be careful with your therapeutic shoes at first. I might just be a clumsy person, but I'm sure I'm not the only clumsy one out there. And just an FYI, I do NOT wear heals for that reason.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Just an update on the progress of my TheraShoes. I am noticing that my tummy is getting tighter. I'm not a heavy person, but had one c-section, which destroyed my tummy muscles. I can't feel them, therefore it makes it hard for me to hold them in. I am now holding them in automatically. It has to be from the shoe. A strong tummy is good for the back. So at least it's a start!
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                    Just an update on the progress of my TheraShoes. I am noticing that my tummy is getting tighter. I'm not a heavy person, but had one c-section, which destroyed my tummy muscles. I can't feel them, therefore it makes it hard for me to hold them in. I am now holding them in automatically. It has to be from the shoe. A strong tummy is good for the back. So at least it's a start!
                    I am noticing the same thing - looks like the rocker technology is a good one for some of us :-)

Comment

I'm really glad you are both finding these shoes beneficial! It would be brilliant if they can help you build your core stability Rohrer, and if that in turn helps your back pain

Comment

Tone up shoes

Is anybody familiar with Z-Coil shoes? I purchased a pair about a year ago and it helped me a lot with my back. I had to walk on my tiptoes before I bought them. My back was really bad from my feet/ heels hitting the floor. After I wore them for awhile it got much better. I stoped wearing them because I felt a little better and also because they look funny.
                        I will try the Scetchers since they look better.

Comment

Originally posted by idilia4 View Post
                          Is anybody familiar with Z-Coil shoes? I purchased a pair about a year ago and it helped me a lot with my back. I had to walk on my tiptoes before I bought them. My back was really bad from my feet/ heels hitting the floor. After I wore them for awhile it got much better. I stoped wearing them because I felt a little better and also because they look funny.
                          I will try the Scetchers since they look better.
                          If people say your shoes look funny, you can say that you are just starting a new trend. My therashoes don't look all that weird. I've been wearing them everywhere I can and am finally getting used to them. It's amazing how bad my balance is. I wonder if it has anything to do with the actual scoliosis? I stand straight and my shoulders are now even, compared to five years ago I had a higher left shoulder. I even mowed the lawn in my shoes today. Now, sadly to say, they are grass green. I way overdid it and I'm pretty much hurting from top to bottom. I'm gonna try to get some shut-eye. Good night all!
                          Be happy!
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

I had someone notice a big difference in my tummy, so I know it's not wishful thinking. The shoes really do work!
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

I have the Sketchers and have been wearing the to work (12 hours) a day for 4 months. I do not notice much difference in pain but I do work long days.
                              36 year young cardiac RN
                              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I may have to try a $35 fix for my back AND my tummy! LOL!!! It sounds too good to be true. Yeah, at $250 those others just seem too much of a risk. I bought Danskos a while back, and every time I wore them, my back was KILLING me. I finally realized the shoes that I hoped would help my back issues were killing me. They sit, gathering dust, at the bottom of my closet (with, MANY other pairs of shoes too!).

I'm one of those nuts that actually wears heels at work though. I don't know...makes me feel better...not the back, but ME. Anyway, I carry them in and change. And, I usually kick them off in my office, but slip them on before I teach.

But I'm not above a $35 experiment!

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
                                X