Thread: Requesting Help With Hiding Pointed Chest, Back hump, and uneven shoulders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Requesting Help With Hiding Pointed Chest, Back hump, and uneven shoulders

Hello, I am scoliatic and I require assistance. I have a fairly large back hump, my chest is pointed, and I have like many of you, uneven shoulders. I have been home-schooled my entire life and am going to public school next year and want to minimize the stares or constant questions. Does anyone know what types of shirts, sweaters, or patters help hide my disfigured figure? Also I am new to this site and am hoping to help and receive help from fellow humans and cyborgs. Lastly, if anyone is interested I started a scoliosis blog a month or two ago if anyone's interested the link is https://scoliaticblog.blogspot.com/

Scliatic again, I can't figure out how to make my profile have a picture please help I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Welcome to the forum Scoliotic! You are our first MAGEC poster! Or MAGEC member!

We did have a parent with a son many years ago when that system was first launched. I am trying to remember....just search magec and you will see the threads and posts.

I personally won't be of much assistance with dressing or clothes, but someone will chime in on that subject.

How old are you now? and at what age did your scoliosis surgeries start?

Also, when are you getting fused?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Welcome to the forum Scoliotic! You are our first MAGEC poster! Or MAGEC member!

We did have a parent with a son many years ago when that system was first launched. I am trying to remember....just search magec and you will see the threads and posts.

I personally won't be of much assistance with dressing or clothes, but someone will chime in on that subject.

How old are you now? and at what age did your scoliosis surgeries start?

Also, when are you getting fused?

Ed
    How do you know they are getting surgery? Don't scare him/her away.

Oops. Never mind, I just read in the other thread that Scoliatic has already had a bunch of surgeries.
    Last edited by Tina_R; 03-27-2021 at 09:41 AM.

I am a 14 year old male man of manliness and am turning 15 next month. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was either 3 or 2 and got my rods at age 3. I later changed to MAGEC rods later in my pre teen years and actually managed to break one in my body during dance class it hurt like crazy but I'm fine now and have another rid for extra support. I am getting my final fusion this summer not exactly sure when but I think we're scheduling it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoliatic View Post
    I am a 14 year old male man of manliness and am turning 15 next month. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was either 3 or 2 and got my rods at age 3. I later changed to MAGEC rods later in my pre teen years and actually managed to break one in my body during dance class it hurt like crazy but I'm fine now and have another rid for extra support. I am getting my final fusion this summer not exactly sure when but I think we're scheduling it next week.
    I read some of your blog. You've been through a lot. I like your writing style. I don't know what it is about scoliosis, but there are a lot of younger people with scoliosis who can think and write about it with great maturity and wisdom (I read other forums; there aren't too many young people on this one right now).

Why did you need so many surgeries? And it raises a question I never thought of. Since young people are still growing, do they need their rods replaced every so often? And do you have some kind of rods that expand along with your growth? I'm not sure what an expansion is that you are referring to.

I thought you were making up Big Picture and Why Not You Academy, but they're real.

I think you asked about posting pictures. For some reason they don't show except as a link. Other sites that look like this one and should work like this one, you can see the picture in the post. I don't get why you can't on this site, we are all words and no pictures.

Unless you click on the link >>> Primrose.jpg
    Last edited by Tina_R; 03-27-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoliatic View Post
    I see...

So, You did many growing rod procedures growing up.....I guess you are pretty used to pain doing all the surgeries that you did, You're a trooper....I take it all these surgeries were done up in Seattle?

I am not sure when they started using growing rods.....maybe Linda would know. The whole scoliosis scene has changed leaps and bounds since I was diagnosed at age 16 in 1975. We don't have many young people here and extremely happy that you are posting....I think it's pretty important that you do post, it has a lot of value.

How big are your curves now? And how is the pain? I went through your blog really quick, I am going to take another peek here soon....

If you have any x-rays or photos, post through the system. It's saved on the NSF server and only members can view.

When you do a post, look down and find manage attachments
    In the box that pops up in the upper right corner, click add files, then choose file
    I always throw up a file on my desktop. Find the file, select, then click upload
    The icon will be in the lower left highlighted. Click done
    Click preview and it will show up below as an attached image.

For attaching to your signature, something seems to have changed in the software and I can't figure out how to add attachments to the signature. Under signature permissions in edit signature, uploading images for signature is highlighted as "No".

For now, just add attachment files to a post.

Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 03-27-2021 at 11:45 PM.
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258