spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicago shriners

To my knowledge neither Shriners in Minnesota or Chicago offer the Spinecor bracing. As we are from Appleton we traveled to Erie PA...its not a bad ride 10 1/2 hours one way. You go for the initial appt. then return in 1 month and then return approx. every 3 months. If you call Shriners in Erie direct you can get scheduled for an appointment and then complete the paperwork when it comes in the mail...it does save some time. There is a chiropractor in Chicago Dr. Pappas that offers Spinecor but he has not been doing it very long and you need to pay upfront approx $4800.00 then be reimbursed by ins.

Comment

• Dawn-

I just responded to your private message (I am a bit slow...eh?).

We are going to give it a shot at the Chicago Shriners since we don't even know yet if a brace is needed. If we need one we will travel to Erie if needed.

How long has your daughter been in the brace? Any improvements yet?
      Laura

Mom to son Anthony (age 6) and daughter Addison (age 1)

Anthony was diagnosed Dec 2006 with a 21 degree curve and a 14 degree curve. Currently waiting and watching under the direction of an Ortho. Next appointment is in August.

Comment

• back from montreal

hi everyone,

we are back from a wonderful weekend in vermont visiting relatives with a quick trip to montreal on thursday for lucas' appt. he has been in the spinecor for 6 months now, and we are relieved and happy to say that he is stable at 19o/13o (was 18o/14o initially which is statistically no change). he does have rotation on one vertebrae (phase 1) but no others, but that is how is has been from the beginning. we are very happy that we can continue this course of treatment.

my best,
        deshea
        mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
        spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
        tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
        serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
        now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
        and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
        north of boston, ma

Comment

• Deshea,

I'm *absolutely* thrilled with the news!! Hopefully with time there will be further correction and if he just maintains a curve under 20 degrees he'll probably be in good shape once he hits the adolescent growth spurt. *~Two big thumbs up ~*

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Where to go?

I just do not know exactly where to go for the spinecor brace. Has anyone heard of Stephanie and Gary Smouse in the Houston area? Mr. Gomez and Dr. Marco in the Houston area? We live in Fort Worth, Texas. We just want to know where the best place to go is that is not too far or expensive. My daughter is 14 and has a single lower curve of 32. Risser 0.

Comment

• Hi Carly's Mom,

Welcome. Basically, most of the places to get the Spinecor brace in the United States is from chiropractors. The exception being the orthopedics in Eerie, Pa. That is a Shriner's Hospital which gives free medical care to those who qualify. Many of us here in the States have chosen to travel to Montreal where the inventors of the Spinecor will fit your child. True, it is out of the country and quite far. However, I think they charge less for the brace and less for the follow-up visits. So you will probably end up paying less or the same. Plus, you get to brush up on your French!!! I feel better going to them because they are orthopedics and it is their brace. You can read about my daughter's journey with Spincecor on some old threads here. Let me know if you want to talk further. You can read about my daughter in my signature. Good luck.
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hi Carly's Mom,

I've heard of Dr. Gomez, he is *very* dedicated to his craft. I believe he is a medical doctor who chose to go into orthotics when his own daughter developed progressive infantile scoliosis at the age of one - as far as I know she never required surgery.

Last edited by Celia; 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• first follow up update

We just came back from Montreal. We had our follow up after almost 2 months. My son's curve went down to 3 degrees. Sometimes it seems to be unbelivable. He had a 31 thoracic curve that went down to 7 degree after the intial app. We are very happy that his curve went to 3. Dr Rivard is very very nice.
                  Adriana
                  Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
                  Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

• Also back from Montreal for 1 month follow up

Hi,

We just got back from Montreal as well! Everything went well as far as we can tell. Dr. Rivard said that she went from 9 down to 7 degrees. Not a big difference if any, but we are happy so far and Dr. Rivard was optimistic as well. Do most people get much correction at the one month follow up? The best part of our visit you ask? We got to meet Adriana It was so nice to chat with you!

Sincerely,

Sarah

Comment

• That's great news, Adriana and Sarah!! It's wonderful that you were able to meet each other, as well.
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Dr. Gomez

I called yesterday twice to Houston to talk with someone about the brace and cost at Dr. Gomez office. They never returned my calls. The recpetionist did say that I needed an Orthopedist to write the prescription. I told her how Dr. Gomez told me before that he works with an Orthopedist out of Houston and that he could write it. I had trouble trying to find an Orthopedist here that would write one. Our Chiropractor gave us one but I don't know if they will take that.

I found this on the internet from Dr. Gomez.

"Miguel Gomez CO, MD reminded those present not to forget the transverse component of scoliotic curves, along with the more obvious coronal and sagittal manifestations, noting that for best results the orthotist needs to consider the three-dimensional characteristics of each individual curve."
                        http://www.oandp.com/news/jmcorner/2006-07/1.asp

Comment

• Sarah

My daughter actually went up from a 7 to 11 degree curve at the 1 month but there is room for error in x rays. For some reason I get the feeling that the initial correction you get with young flexable curves is going to be the final results (only my impression not from research)

I sounds like all is doing great, I am happy for you!!

Christine
                          from CT, USA
                          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• I hope you are right.

Christine,

I hope you are right, because we could really live with a 7 degree curve.

Sarah

Comment

• It makes me *so* happy to read all the wonderful successes! This really isn't so difficult is it ???

Canadian eh

Comment

• Sorry to even suggest this.....but?

Since you all see Dr. Rivard and you all seem to get similar results (which are outstanding , yet rather unusual in the field of scoli) do you ever wonder/worry if he could be bending (no pun intended) his facts and figures to 'sell' the success of an otherwise new-to-the-field brace?

I mean, it literally sounds too good to be true! And you know what they say about 'when it sounds too good to be true...it probably IS.' Why isn't absolutely every doctor prescribing this brace if it consistently gets these wonderful results? Why does anyone have to endure the other kinds out there.....?

I am just thinkin, here.....

Comment

Working...
                                X