spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerbo,

That sounds really good to me. Just curious how long Lisanna was out of her brace before the out-of-brace x-ray was performed. It's interesting that Dr. Rivard is not interested in performing out-of-brace until bracing is almost done.

Gerbo,

Your daughter's curve is quite small compared to my daughter's 2 40 degree curves. So when I hear those numbers I would give anything for them to be Nicole's numbers. I think things are going very well for Lisanna. I wouldn't worry too much about her. How tall is she and any idea if she is almost done growing? Any mention of risser.

I'm very happy for you.

Melissa
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Just curious how long Lisanna was out of her brace before the out-of-brace x-ray was performed. It's interesting that Dr. Rivard is not interested in performing out-of-brace until bracing is almost done.
      1) 2 minutes at the most
      2) I discussed that and it seems to be a bit of a local "compromise" to do out of brace x rays once a year, as somehow local consultants still feel that gives them a better idea of what is going on. I faintly challenged it, but decided, for once, to go along with it, but won't do so next year.
      I wouldn't worry too much about her
      I won't, thanks. dr Rivard has already written back reassuringly saying thye see this secondary curve developping a lot, which "will never become structural". I do trust him.

gerbo

Comment

• Gerbo,

I believe Dr. Rivard wants the kids out of the brace for a few days up to one week before the do an out-of-brace x-ray. Or else they are not accurate. You may want to ask him about that.
        Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• yeah, and that makes perfect sense to me, for this reason i am not going to "allow" any further routine out of brace xrays anymore, as to me they do not give additional info at this stage

Comment

• Gerbo & Melissa

My daughter just had an unnecessary x ray too. No more of that. The nurse at the hospital said that they just did a study and that x rays are safe but I will stick to my guns next time!!

Christine
            from CT, USA
            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Gerbo,

That's interesting about the compensatory curve. I've seen that in pictures and over time the curve does resolve. Did Mr. Mills adjust the straps at all ?

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• where did you see pictures and read about this?

mr mills did not adjust anything as he was happy

Interestingly, it completely threw the consultant in that he thought it was the primary curve, had hung the xray the wrong way around to make into a rightsided curve, which did mean that the heart was on the right as well, which initially he said was due to rotation

only when i pointed out that "it seemed to have moved upwards", did he realise he was looking at a secondary curve. He then needed to have a chat with mr mills to get advice on what to think/do

Comment

• Dr Rivard reply to my concerns: very quick, very reassuring

> Mr Huisman,
                  >
                  > What you are describing to me is a
                  > completely normal evolution of this curve and the
                  > new secondary curve will not become structural. We have many
                  > cases like this and no one of those curve had become
                  > structural after weaning of the brace.

The secondary curve will dissapear without any effect on the primary curve

>
                  > Best regards
                  >
                  > Dr Rivard
                  >

Comment

• How do you know when it is structural or not? I never asked about Nicole's new 2nd curve. It started out as 10 and is now in the high 30's. I guess it is structural since they changed the bracing to try to hold it. Did I ever tell you that Dr. Coillard actually had a different opinion than Dr. Rivard and believes the the 2nd curve was actually the primary curve. Interesting.
                    Melissa

Comment

• well, hearing that really makes me feel better.........

Comment

• Gerbo,

I'll have to take another look, but I thought I saw the pictures on the Spinecorporation website. If you look at Case study "C", the lower part of her spine is going off to the right and over time it becomes more centred. Look at 13 months versus 15 months in the brace.

http://www.spinecorporation.com/Engl.../CaseStudy.htm

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• just about can see what you mean, not as explicit as ours i'm afraid. Well, that's another worry for the next 6 months, just have to trust they know what they are doing.....

Comment

• New member questions

I'm not sure I'm doing this right as I am a new user but hopefully this will work.. My 15 year old daughter, Kyra, just got a spinecor brace from Drs. Deutchman and Lamantia 6 days ago. I think they take an x-ray every 3 months with the brace off. I don't know how long she is supposed to be out of brace before the x-ray so I will have to ask them about this. I can see it may not be a real accurate picture if its only a few hours out of brace before x-ray. Also, since I'm new here and haven't quite figured out how to use this I will probably be asking questions that have already been asked but has anyone's curve gotten worse in brace? My daughter is a 21 on the primary curve.
                            THANKS for any information anyone can give me on the spinecor!
                            Jean

Comment

• Thanks for the article! I really appreciate your post!

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                              Christine,

I found this article on MRI's and hopefully it will make you feel more comfortable with whatever decision you choose to take:

RM Schwend, W Hennrikus, JE Hall, and JB Emans

Childhood scoliosis: Clinical Indications for Magnetic Resonance Imaging

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/upl...ns_for_mri.pdf

Deshea,

The difference between the first and second picture is REMARKABLE!!!
                              I am as usual catching up and was excited to see this. I skimmed it and willl read again in detail. I was in the process of trying to compose letters to all the doctors my daughter saw to advise what has hapened medically and to advise the situation of considering MRI before a third opinion, so MRI can be considered more often in rapid progressing scoliosis patients before it extremely high. I hope to gain more insight based on this. I will read more thoroughly, and really appreciate it. I absolutely recommend MRI to rule out any spinal cord or other medical issues. My daughter had no medical history before scoliosis, and had Chiari. My daughter was 12 and didn't need sedation, but my other daughter needed an MRI to rule out neurological issues while preschool age, and she was sedated. It was at a Children's hospital and it was necessary and MRI made it so much less stressful on her, us (her parents), and the people doing the test. Best wishes to you. My daughter's curve progressed, but I beleive the fact she does not have idiopathic scoliosis and high curve, and progression, may be a factor, and am still using Spinecor, as it is still worth the effort.
                              Last edited by Mom37; 01-12-2007, 10:45 PM. Reason: additions
                              Shirley
                              Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• It took me about a week, but I finally read this entire thread .

We have pretty much decided that if our son needs bracing, we are going to go with a SpineCor. We are awaiting a response with appointment set back from Shriners Hospital in Chicago (we are from east central WI). Does anyone know if the doctors there will use a SpineCor if adamantly requested? If needed, we will travel to Erie to get one, but we are hopeful about Chicago.

Thanks!
                                Laura

Mom to son Anthony (age 6) and daughter Addison (age 1)

Anthony was diagnosed Dec 2006 with a 21 degree curve and a 14 degree curve. Currently waiting and watching under the direction of an Ortho. Next appointment is in August.

Comment

Working...
                                X