Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,
    I was wondering:
    before any of your children got spinecor, did any of them have bits of skin next to the curve that were painful at all?

happy holidays!

HI
    Im 15
    im pretty outgoing
    JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
    in the 30s.
    somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• Nicole never had any pain in the beginning. She actually didn't start having any pain until after she had been in the brace for a while. she would have some pain when the brace was off and she was walking around. Dr. Rivard said this is common and nothing to worry about. When I say, "pain" I mean it's probably more of a discomfort. I don't even give her tylenol for it. She just puts her brace back on and it feels better.

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• This thread is about Spinecor brace and not arguing. Maybe you can take your discussion about vestibular testing somewhere else where it might be better suited.
        Dont want to distract from the wonderful posts that have been made here and all the support for the kids wearing this brace.

Comment

• must agree that these discussions do get a bit out of hand, and I suppose we are all as bad as each other. And indeed it distract a bit from the idea of this thread, i.e. mutual spport and info for and betwen spinecor users.

I suggest that we move this discussion to another thread under "alternative treatments".

I will open a new thread and move what I consider the "essential" parts of my contributions there, and delete the rest. I suggest celia and structural do the same. It might help to clear the thread and the air......

happy christmas

gerbo

Comment

• Gerbo,

I just have a minute, we're hosting the celebrations tomorrow *again* and I have a million things to do Anyway, I just wanted to say Have A Merry Christmas and I hope Santa's good to you! You really are a dear friend!

hugs,

celia

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Yes,

I think we should all stick to the Universal rules of never discussing religion, politics, sex or vestibular testing in public. Nobody is changing anybody's mind. Just going around in circles. I'm glad we are putting it to rest.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Friends,
                I am so grateful for you. Life has been insane lateley. My mom is dying of frontal lobe dementia. The house we are remodeling(money pit) flooded last week. 8ut God is good and it's all good. I cry every day, but you don't lose the people you love without crying.
                But every trial builds strength and the ability to reach out to someone else.
                And I am grateful for you, the support and love you have offered in a year that I couldn't have done without it!
                I look forward to next year, whether it brings surgery or resolution.

I love you!
                Merry Christmas!
                Happy Holidays!(for anyone that Merry Christmas is inappropriate! )

Cheryl
                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• ............and you clearly do lots of reaching out Cheryl, in a very valuable and meaningful and helpful way.

Wish you lots of strength and happiness

Gerbo

Comment

• mmmhhh Melissa, you're bringing up a few interersting topics there ,

Happy Christmas as well

gerbo

Comment

• anyway, this Turkey, quite a decent football player, goes on trial with Manchester United (english football club) He plays fantastic during his trial match and scores 12 goals. Manager comes to him afterwards and says; absolutely fantastic, here is a contract. The Turkey says; not bothered about a contract, just want to know: will I be playing on boxing day??

Comment

• Cheryl,

My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. I wish we lived closer so that I could be of more comfort. I appreciate you and everything you do. Life is so difficult at times, I know. Here's wishing you a loving Christmas holiday with your family. I hope 2007 will be bright for you.

Everyone else, I wish you all the same happiness in the New Year.

Gerbo,

As always, I have no idea what the joke meant. I don't even get one fraction of it. Please explain.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• it's a very bad joke, but the only one with a kind of christmas theme (suitable for a public forum) i could think of.

If the turkey (as in festive bird) was in the team on boxing day, it meaned he was going to survive christmas day (i.e.; not being eaten.) It is a bad, bad, bad joke, sorry

Comment

• I am just catching up now. My daughter is doing well.

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                            How is your daughter ? What is the prognosis ? I hope all is well.

Great to hear that you were reimbursed for the costs of the test! I don't have much time right now but we did discuss vestibular testing back on page 59 and 60 of this thread. As for right now... I have visions of sugar plums and fairies dancing in my head
                            It will be 3 months until another MRI to determine if her syrinx drained itself with the spinal fluid flow now unblocked from her ventrical, which is the hope. It is 85 percent sucessful. Thank you for your concern. Hope you have a great holiday! I am also greatful for your support, and everyone from the forum, the thread, posts, private messages, emails, cards, gifts, and most importantly thoughts and prayers!
                            Last edited by Mom37; 12-24-2006, 10:41 PM. Reason: add
                            Shirley
                            Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• still catching up

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                              Mom37,

I am sorry you are going through all of this. I can't remember how old your daughter is and whether she had a typical curve. I can't find the old thread. Yes, I do believe Dr. D. is a caring individual. I only received out-of-network reimbursement for everything so it ended up costing us a lot of money. I cant remember where you live. What hospital are you going to now?

Melissa
                              Thank you for your note. My daughter is 12 and we live in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex area. Dr. D in NYC fit her for the Spinecor brace as we asked. He is not an Orthopedic MD, but very knowledgeable and experienced in his field. He was backed up by Andrew Mills who did her one month brace adjustment. He said he would have done just the same, and he is THE orthotist with Spinecor. Each insurance is different as we can see. The testing was covered in full due to done by MD and brace out of network, less paid due to out of area. Although none in area, and none in network. Never pursued appeal. Mine required pre certification, and so I found out the day I was leaving to NYC that it was approved. Personal choices for all concerned. For her Chiari and Syrinx we are going to Children's Medical Center of Dallas for Surgical Neurology issues. For her scoliosis we are going to Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. That was our third Orthopedic opinion, and the first to order the MRI. I was extremely impressed by Dr. John Birch at Scottish Rite at our first visit, before we even knew that the MRI would result in a new condition that was the cause for her scoliosis. She had no other known medical issues prior to this. Two other Orthopedic surgeions, one local and one out of state did not pursue MRI or CT scan.
                              Last edited by Mom37; 12-24-2006, 10:37 PM. Reason: correction
                              Shirley
                              Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Hi Alabama Mom,
                                Yes, we live in the Atlanta area and go to Dr. Brian Ouellette. He is a Chiropractor in Alpharetta, GA. (North side of Atlanta.) So far we like him, but it's still very early. My babysitter's friend goes to him as well.

As far as insurance goes, we haven't heard from ours yet. We have Aetna. I have heard that BCBS is not very flexible, but it's always worth a try. Dr. Ouellette's staff is very helpful and willing to work with you to get the insurance approved, if at all possible.

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

Georgia Mom

Comment

Working...
                                X