• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shall we have a group hug now??

Comment

• Yes, as long as you promise not to squeeze too tight

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• OK, but don't touch my back. ;-)
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• i dnt know if this is spine curvature case or not-i just wanted to ask something. i have a cousin, around 13-14 yrs of age. at birth, she was taken out with forceps and the doctors while taking her out damaged her spine. she has been wearing braces to give her spine proper shape, but even at 8 years old, she was bent-its mostly the upper spine thats affected. her mom said she may have to go for surgery at a later stage. my question is whether with surgery she can get a normal spine shape?
          wont it be more difficult to attempt corrective surgery when she's older rather thatn younger?

Comment

• Landa,

I'm sorry I can't help you. Maybe someone else can.

Would any of you (people I talk to a lot) feel comfortable giving out your addresses on my e-mail. I would love to send out holiday picture cards to you. I feel more comfortable doing that then posting any pictures up on this website. It would be great to put the pictures with the names.

It was so cool when Pola and I finally exchanged pictures. I think I told you our daughters looked like sisters!!

Anyway, Let me know. Believe me, I know it's early and I don't have the pictures done yet. But I am thinking ahead.

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

That sounds lovely! I sent you my address... please send me yours too

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Melissa,

I know you have my address (if you didn't save it, let me know), but I can't believe I didn't get yours when we met over the summer! Please send me yours.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• Has anyone heard anything about the design of the bottom of the spinecor brace being changed? I thought I read something about that and intended to go back and read more, but now I can't remember where I saw that.

Comment

• Hey Melissa,
                    I would love to have your address. I'll send you mine!
                    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by bizzleber
                      Has anyone heard anything about the design of the bottom of the spinecor brace being changed? I thought I read something about that and intended to go back and read more, but now I can't remember where I saw that.

I read something about this too and I think it was CloggerX (?) who mentioned this. I believe she said the chiropractors in her office were testing the new design on adult patients and not young patients. Personally I prefer the tried and true design knowing there is some chance of success.

hope this helps

Canadian eh

Comment

• mr mills showed us a prototype, cyclingshorts with studs attached in relevant places, and asked lisanna to try it on. Small framed as she is, it was much too big. a smaller version to try out was "promised" but nothing has come forward yet.

Yes it appeared much more comfortable, but my feeling was that any significant pull from the various elastic bands, would completely twist it, reducing its effectiveness.

don't know whether this is same design as alternatives mentioned by others

Comment

• Return from Erie

My 3 daughters just saw Dr. Sanders in Erie, PA at Shriners. Wonderful facility and great people. My 6yr old that was 11 thoracic/22 lumbar with a 3/8" right leg length differential had a less than 5 degree lumbar curve with her lift. Wonderful news..repeat x-rays 1 yr. Renal ultrasound requested due to leg length. Anybody have that done due to leg length?
                          My 3yr old is 10 thoracic/10 lumbar wait 1yr repeat x-rays.
                          My 5yr old was 39 thoracic/33 lumbar diagnosed 8/25/06. MRI negative except for a 5cm cyst in her right brain lobe......follow up MRI February of the brain.Tried TLSO for 1 month no change thoracic, lumbar went to 22 degrees. Dr. Sanders tried Spinecor in brace x-ray no change thoracic, lumbar went to 30 degrees.......the positive there was rotation noted. They called Montreal and Montreal said have her try SpineCor for 5 weeks return and repeat x-rays. Follow-up is 12/21.
                          Dr. Sanders ordered us to go for genetic counseling to rule out muscle disease or possibly Marfan's syndrome. Anybody familiar with those problems?
                          As always I appreciate any insight.
                          How do you wash the SpineCor brace?
                          What about undergarments?
                          Thanks Dawn

Comment

• Dawn,

You really have your hands full with all three kids having orthopaedic issues and everything seems to be under control – which is great news!!! Good job Mom!

There was a big discussion (controversy ?!) on washing the spinecor and I can't remember what the consensus was - I think I raised a few eyebrows when I said I didn't wash the elastic bands that often for fear that it would stretch and others strongly believe that the elastic bands have to be washed weekly in order to maintain their elasticity. I air dry everything and have an extra set of elastic bands for this purpose – it works for me. I think the discussion is somewhere near the beginning of the thread.

As for undergarments, did you not receive the spinecor bodysuit? I converted the snaps to Velcro on the spinecor bodysuits because my little one can't undo them. There is a website at http://www.special-clothes.com/ where you can order body suits with Velcro fasteners instead of the snaps.
                            Last edited by Celia; 11-22-2006, 04:10 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• How do you wash the SpineCor brace?
                              What about undergarments?
                              we put each of two parts (pelvic and upper part with straps) in separate pillowcases, closed so they won't come out, and wash them at 30 degrees.

Spinecor manufacturer recommends weekly washing as this actually keeps the bands tight, i.e prevent them from getting too stretchy

we do not use specific undergarments, lisanna wears top part on her skin, prefers this, less hassle

best wishes
                              gerbo

Comment

• Dawn,

I just realized the special clothes website I gave you was inaccurate and it was a Korean website I omitted the "-" from special clothes. Anyhoo.... I've corrected it.
                                Last edited by Celia; 11-23-2006, 01:04 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X