spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gerbo
    lisanna's right shoulder is deliberately pulled down to help to correct her (Right T11) curve
    I went back to look because I remembered your comment.
    I tried to contact them in Montreal the week they were out. I emailed them the week after that, and it took a while for them to get back to me. I didn't say in my e-mail that Rachel's 4 strap was extremely tight, but I told them that all of a sudden she seemed off balance, with her right hip jutting to the side and that she lost one of the inches she had grown. Dr. Rivard said not to worry. I called the next week, because I didn't feel I had communicated what was going on fully, and Dr. Coillard got back to me on Thursday and said that I could loosen the 4 strap. Over the weekend, I noticed that Rachel's left shoulder is now higher than her right even when she is out of brace. I had not realized that when I talked to Dr. Coillard. They made her appt for Jan 18th, but I am anxious. When I loosen the 4 strap even more, her rotation goes up even more. Everything seems a bit off right now and I wish they had time to take a look. I know I sound a bit disorganized.
    I feel like I have already bothered them twice. UGH!
    Comments anyone?
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• These attacks of feeling insecure are horrible, aren't they, and I am sure we all get them all the the time.

I am sure that you realise that it is impossible for us "fellow travellers on this long and winding road" to comment on the technicalities of the brace.

the only thing I could suggest, and I understand your hesitation, is to put the wording of your message in an email to them, and see what comes back.

sorry i cannot be of more help

gerbo

Comment

• You missed your calling in politics because you’ve managed to talk about Jim Carey and every thing else under the sun instead of answering the question at hand.... i.e., your views on the NIH study
        I think i fall in line with Linda, and I think yourself, that there appear to be enough studies around showing that bracing helps to some extend.

To me what is really needed is to study factors which determine whether a brace is likely to work, and considering that wearer acceptability and correction achieved in brace are major factors, further study is needed in brace design to work out how to achieve maximum comfort and how to achive as much correction as possible. Considering there is so much variety in practice I feel there is a case of comparing succesrates in different centres and work out where the best differ from the worse.

gerbo

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine
          Please understand that this study is Canadian. I believe it does not reflect the usual American standards in terms of bracing, but I guess that would depend on the individual doctor.
          We have established that this is in fact a U.S. study initiated by a U.S. doctor and NOT Canadian. I don’t know how anyone could turn a blind eye to the standard of *un* care that exists in the United States. You don’t have to look very far to see that parents are traveling thousands of miles in some cases to get the best care for their children – why is this? Doctors are idly standing by watching innocent babies and children progress to the point where surgery is the only option and these children are no better for it. Their lives are forever changed. Are these doctors disciplined in any way by their respective associations? Do we see lawsuits being launched by families? No? Is it because no doctor will testify against his/her peer?

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Not really sure what you are all talking about. I know you are discussing bracing and whether it works and why doctors wait for bracing.

Just want to make sure my country is being defended here. I love the United States of America and although our health care is not perfect, we have some of the best and the brightest doctors and surgeons.

I am very grateful to Drs. Rivard and Coillard for their Spinecor brace. That is why I take Nicole to Montreal to be seen by them. But if she does need surgery, I take comfort in knowing that I am surrounded by some of the most amazing surgeons in the field. I live near Children's Hospital of Phila and Shriner's.

As many of you know, Shriner's will perform surgery on any child who needs it, free of charge.

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Cheryl: I've been troubled lately by the changes that happen in the number two band. If my daughter wears the brace religiously, the number two band becomes too loose, regardless of washing. Unfortunately, the minor adjustments that might need to be made aren't since our provider is out of state. Or vice versa, if she isn't compliant the band becomes tight-I wonder how important the adjustments are in the course of wearing the brace. Megan

Comment

• celia; wow, sparks really fly when you get angry , and that was without me egging you on

megan; 3 monthly adjustments appear to be an integral part of using the Spinecor

melissa; when is Nicole's next review? How is she? Are you OK?

Comment

• Gerbo,

Thanks for asking. We go on Dec 13. I honestly don't know what to expect. I can't tell if Nicole is the same, better, or worse. I do know that when she takes off her brace and walks around too much, her back hurts. I obviously don't like that. Anyway, I don't think she has grown. She is 5'5" and now taller than me. I believe this will be an important visit. Of course, I say that about each appt.

Hope your daughter is doing well. Nicole is getting braces this morning. Most of the kids in Middle School have them so it is not really a big deal.

Melissa
                  Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• I did warn everyone in advance that I didn’t want to comment on the NIH study I think Linda’s quote and the thread entitled “Are Some Canadian Doctors from the Dark Ages?” fueled it. Sorry if I offended anyone in the U.S.

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I agree with Melissa. The quality of medical care in the U.S. is second to none. Many, many people from other countries come HERE for care - which speaks volumes.
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• I think Linda’s quote and the thread entitled “Are Some Canadian Doctors from the Dark Ages?” fueled it.
                        ahh, now i understand......

Sorry if I offended anyone in the U.S.
                        doesn't really apply to me, still, surely we all take the good with the bad.......

Comment

• We are all on the same side. We are caring Parents from all over the world who are trying to do what's best for our children.

We all love our respective countries. That goes without saying.
                          I am very thankful for all the freedoms we have to go and seek the medical care we need for our children.

I need to end this now before I go about singing "God Bless America." I am extremely patriotic!!!

Now, let's all try to get along!!!!!! lol !!!

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• Well said, Melissa
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• I sincerely apologize to Cedlia and Canadians everywhere. I dislike when anyone passes judgment on an entire group based on what a few have done, and yet I did it myself. I definitely should have come up with a better Title.

That post is over a year and a half old. Now I'm going to have to worry about everything I ever said! ;-)

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Apology accepted! I don't stay angry for very long… life's too short for that. Melissa, I could just imagine you singing "God Bless America" That is too funny LOL!!!!

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X