No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew!!!! that was alittle over my head for a while. Guess I obviously haven't done that much "research" yet. Was very interesting! I have a lot to think about.

Thanks for the info. Clear as mud..... just kidding. Now to hear from insurance and decide where to go. How long a wait to get into Montreal docs? Do they see adults? I, too, am blessed with scoliosis.

neva

Comment

• Forgot to add.... maybe that's why I have always been a klutz. My vestibular something or another is out of wack. Could be the problem!

Would be interesting to really see more research into such things....but alas they take time and money.
      Chow.... neva

Comment

• Neva,
        It doesn't take long to get in to see them, usually. Just give them a call. The number is on the Spinecor website. You can also e-mail. Let us know.
        If you have any trouble, I'll check and see if I can come up with another e-mail address or number. I know they are in Tuesday through Thursday; so if you call on a Friday, it may seem like they are not getting back to you very quickly.

Hugs,
        Cheryl
        Last edited by cherylplinder; 09-15-2006, 11:03 PM.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Spinecor

Hi Spinecor Friends,

Just want to tell everyone that we met Pola and Anastasia last weekend. They are wonderful people and it was so great to spend time with them. Anastasia is doing so well. The two girls had a lot in common and I was only sorry that the get-together was so short.

I hope one day we can all meet!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Melissa
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• That sounds so nice!! Did you guys go to a restaurant ?

I spoke to Dr. Coillard on the phone last week (her English is very good by the way) and she was telling me that I shouldn't replace the elastic bands so often. I replaced them once already and my plan was to replace them every six months. We have a follow up next month and what I might do is just get a new brace because the one Deirdre has been wearing for the last year is looking a little rough around the edges. Has anyone else been replacing the elastic bands ?????

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Yes, Celia,
              We had dinner together.
              Yes, we replaced one or two straps because they were shot a while back. We also replaced the thigh bands because they were gross. Now her brace seems fine.

Melissa
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• I replaced Rachel's at our last visit(the week before.) That was at the 8 month mark. I might get an extra set to rotate each week. It would make washing easier.
                Did Dr. Coillard say why?
                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Well....we might still get the elastic straps at the next follow up visit however I wanted to get it a few weeks in advance so that any stretching that takes place would be accounted for when Dr. Coillard sees Deirdre. I'm reluctant to just pick it up on the day of the visit knowing that it stretches a little.

Dr Coillard was telling me that some centres in other parts of the world were replacing the elastic bands on a regular basis ( she didn't say how often ) and were NOT getting very good results with the brace. When they stopped changing the elastic bands, their results improved ?! It doesn't make any sense to me If the elastic bands get worn out how is that helping maintain the curves ??? Deirdre's curve is at "1" degree - we just want to keep it there
                  Last edited by Celia; 09-20-2006, 05:04 PM.

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• The only thing I can think of is something Dr. Coillard said to me on the last visit. I said that since we wouldn't see them for 5 months, did she want us to make the bands tighter as time went on and they got loose. She said not to do that because they have found that leaving things the way they are is best. The straps shouldn't be messed with. I also remember Dr. Deutchman saying that tighter wasn't necessarily better. In fact, one time when he got no correction he said he knew he could get some correction by making it tighter. But he didn't think that was the best thing to do at that point.

But I also remember when Nicole had her last growth spurt and her curves increased and her bands were shot. We then replaced the bands.

At least your girls have some room for growth. Nicole has been "skating on thin ice" since her diagnosis. She has no more room for an increase. You know what an increase means in her case.

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                      Has anyone else been replacing the elastic bands ?????
                      Hello! We have only replaced the crotch bands, and we're coming up on a year now wearing the Spinecor. pat

Comment

• It doesn't make any sense to me
                        neither to me, if old worn out bands work better, why not manufacture the whole thing out of old worn out bands in the first place. Are there other factors we do not know about?? Maybe thightly applied less elastic bands give more corrective forcr than tightly applied more elastic bands?? If so, the whole design needs rethinking. I am confused.........

Comment

• Maybe someone else can give her a call and get a different interpretation on this ? I think Dr. Coillard has a clinic today.

Canadian eh

Comment

• We go for our 1 month re check on Monday. I will try to pick Dr. Colliards brain about the subject. I am wondering if she just does not want us messing with the bands at all to reduce human error.

Christine

We have bodysuits on order from special clothes I hope they work. My daughter is growing and the spinecor body suits are expensive. Bodysuits.com do not make her size (6 years old)
                            from CT, USA
                            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• the spinecor body suits are expensive
                              but also remember that you can do without them altogether

Comment

• Maybe someone else can give her a call and get a different interpretation on this
                                i'll try to get a reply out of mr mills

Comment

Working...
                                X