spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodysuits

Hello! We have been so successful finding bodysuits w/snaps at www.bodysuit.com, and they're less than 1/2 the cost. Great news, just got notice from our insurance co., them are reimbursing us the entire cost of Spinecor brace and treatment. p

Comment

• Hi Cheryl,

No, she didn't have a supine. They did lateral bending and said she was still flexible by that. Has anyone ever been told this? I think a 2nd opinion is definitely in order.

Thanks,
      Sherie

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherie
        Hi Cheryl,

No, she didn't have a supine. They did lateral bending and said she was still flexible by that. Has anyone ever been told this? I think a 2nd opinion is definitely in order.

Thanks,
        Sherie
        Sherie,
        I've heard of using that as a way to determine flexibility, also. But a second opinion can't hurt.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Sheena is 13 and her risser is 1 to 2, according to chiro. My guess is at least 2. He said her curve is still very flexible so he's optimistic. I would just feel a lot better if I had the 2nd opinion, then I wouldn't be wondering if we are doing the best we can.

Sherie

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

I know I already said a big good-bye, but I am still here.

In response to the question about a large curve getting a good correction in a brace, my daughter Nicole got a 10 degree correction for both of her 40 degree curves in her spinecor. I would take a trip to Montreal to be sure that the docs in Texas are doing the best they can do for her. I am not telling you what to do. I am telling you that if it were my daughter I would do that. In fact, I already did that with my daughter. It was the most productive trip we ever took.

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Pat,

I am so happy for you. I still have to fight the fight. Are you saying that you were able to be considered in-network? That is what I am fighting for. I am telling them that I had no choice but to go out of network because there is no Spinecor in-network. But I have to convince the docs from the insurance company that Spinecor was the best choice for Nicole.

Any advice anyone?

Melissa
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thanks Melissa, that's what we had decided to do, but this gives me hope that there is more we can do for her.

Sherie

Comment

• Originally posted by pat
                  Hello! We have been so successful finding bodysuits w/snaps at www.bodysuit.com, and they're less than 1/2 the cost.
                  the alternative is not to use bodysuits at all, they are not essential. Lisanna just wears normal underpants (not sure how you call these for girls) with the current fashionable ones which have slightly extended legs being more suitable as they protect the groin better against rubbing from straps. On top she just wears the bolero straight on her body, which is entirely comfortable.

gerbo

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                    But I have to convince the docs from the insurance company that Spinecor was the best choice for Nicole.

Any advice anyone?

Melissa
                    if you need to convince the docs you just have to quote the published evidence, comparing what is known about hardbracing (at best it will hold at current level and even that is not garanteed)to what is known about the spinecor.(something like 90% stabilise or improve with improvement being much more permanent) For the latter you will need to quote the article which was published in "Spine" 2003 and which is available on the spinecorporation website.

i would quote that your daughter was not able to tolerate hardbracing (whether true or not) and that with a hard brace not worn as much as advised it was never going to work anyway. She can tolerate this one and wears it as prescribed increasing her chance of succes (and avoiding expensive surgery)

If you know the figures you could try to compare the cost of hardbracing with a new brace every year with the once off cost of a spinecor with the occasional replacement part.

I'll bet "all together" we'd be able to put together a outline letter which everybody who needs to could use for this purpose.

Once you put something together feel free to post it or sent me copy by email so we can help you to improve it.

gerbo

and now, get off that computer, pack your bags and aligator traps and off to disney land! Enjoy, relax, laugh, forget all your troubles and be happy!!

Comment

• Gerbo,

Thanks for the advice and the laugh!! See, sometimes I understand your sense of humor!!! I have been doing nothing but working, washing, and packing for the last few days. I will definitely need a real vacation when I get back!! lol ! I will certainly make a great effort to convince these docs. Thanks again. Have a great week everyone.

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• hey ppl..long time no posting lol...been so busy didn't have time to drop by lately...
                        just thought i'd chime in on couple of posts

for flexibility tests, it doesn't matter if you do supine(actually that's the worst) prone, lateral bending, or some actually let you hang onto a bar and let the gravity pull you down...as long as it stresses the spine it's all good...

I saw someone mentioning Dr in texas...I'm guessing it's Dr. Smouse...
                        I've spoken to him as well and he seemed very knowledgeable in the subject of scoliosis...very nice guy...I believe he's the only one doing spinecor in texas...he teaches other docs how to manage scoliosis..

anyway I gotta jet...don't have much time for forum these days...g'day all...
                        An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• e-mail with dr. sanders

oh well, after a couple of e-mails back and forth with dr. sanders at erie, he feels that the spinecor is not a good option for lucas at this age (and perhaps height). so it looks like we'll get a tlso brace made for the summer. at least it will be made under traction like his casts and will be well-moulded to his body. i believe that we'll be going back to children's in boston for some possible fitting, but i'm glad that the inital mould will be made in erie.

well, that's the news,
                          deshea
                          mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
                          spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
                          tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
                          serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
                          now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
                          and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
                          north of boston, ma

Comment

• Deshea,
                            I'm sorry. I know you were looking forward to the freedom this brace offers. But Dr. Sanders is such a wonderful doc and your baby is doing so well, I know you feel comfortable with his recommendation.
                            What reason did he give?
                            God bless
                            Cheryl
                            Last edited by cherylplinder; 05-25-2006, 04:46 PM.
                            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Me too ! I'm really sorry to hear this. You could always pay a visit to Dr. Rivard

hugs,

celia

Canadian eh
                              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                                the alternative is not to use bodysuits at all, they are not essential. Lisanna just wears normal underpants (not sure how you call these for girls) with the current fashionable ones which have slightly extended legs being more suitable as they protect the groin better against rubbing from straps. On top she just wears the bolero straight on her body, which is entirely comfortable.

gerbo
                                I have tried talking to her about going w/o the bodysuit, and she just says it'll hurt too much. I think I'll work on her a little more; it makes sense if you can go w/o it! Thanks p

Comment

Working...
                                X