spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
    I would order the straps and wear them a few days before the adjustment so that they will already be stretched that bit they stretch before the adjustment.
    Cheryl,

I took your advice and I spoke to one of the assistants in Montreal this morning and I should have all four straps within a day ! It makes so much sense to get them now before the followup next month. I also don't tolerate loose straps - if I see a loose strap, I tighten it.

Originally posted by cherylplinder
    (No offense. I am extremely stubborn, too. Think it is an essential character trait!)
    I think we're kindred spirits

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• LOL!
      It seems I ponder straps quite a bit these days!
      Straps and life!

As an aside, my 16 year old applied to be a summer missionary (we are protestants) and was accepted. She is in many ways a typical teenager. Loves to do her hair and makeup! Loves to talk on the phone and computer! Loves to shop and go to the mall!
      But she is really mature when it comes to important decisions. She has fielded a lot of peer pressure in the past couple of years and often stands alone.
      This summer will give her focus on the important things in life. She sometimes lacks that in her preparation for her future.
      There is a young lady from our church that is the missions director on site. Quite sensible and practical. She has been a wonderful influence on the younger girls in our church. I am excited that Sarah will be with her this summer.
      She will be gone for 10 weeks. I can't believe it. I will miss her so much.

Hugs to all!
      Cheryl
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
        LOL!
        It seems I ponder straps quite a bit these days!
        Straps and life!

As an aside, my 16 year old applied to be a summer missionary (we are protestants) and was accepted. She is in many ways a typical teenager. Loves to do her hair and makeup! Loves to talk on the phone and computer! Loves to shop and go to the mall!
        But she is really mature when it comes to important decisions. She has fielded a lot of peer pressure in the past couple of years and often stands alone.
        This summer will give her focus on the important things in life. She sometimes lacks that in her preparation for her future.
        There is a young lady from our church that is the missions director on site. Quite sensible and practical. She has been a wonderful influence on the younger girls in our church. I am excited that Sarah will be with her this summer.
        She will be gone for 10 weeks. I can't believe it. I will miss her so much.

Hugs to all!
        Cheryl
        I can't imagine what is't like raising teenaged daughter...
        I have an almost 3year old girl and she's already displaying signs of weird adolescent teeanger's behavior..
        I took my kids to see Ice Age 2 last night and they showed the preview of the movie RV where this 5'ish girl tells her dad..."dad I love you, when I grow up, I'm going to marry you"...then skip 10 years...robin williams is driving and in the rear seat the teenage daughter tells him, "dad, you are such a dork"...
        and when he pulls in with his new RV, she yells.."Mom, some dork just pulled in hideous thing on our driveway and I think it's your husband"...

is it all that bad???

btw, where is your daughter going for the mission? we took our entire youth group out to Arizona last summer and they all came back crying...couldn't believe the kind of lives American Indians were leading...on US soil...
        An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• Hi Sportsdoc!
          Yeah, raising them is hair raising sometimes. We've had our moments when we didn't see eye to eye. Teenagers act like toddlers a lot. The same techniques are applicable for discipline and love. Take away some priveledges and don't lose your temper(ha! ha! easier said than done) I am a firm believer in spending time with them, even if they would prefer I didn't. After they've spent time doing something fun with you, they want to listen to what you have to say more. Love them a lot. Listen to them. Cross your fingers, and pray for them! She's doing well so far.
          She does think I am totally unfashionable in my tastes. ( I think it could be called dorky) It's hilarious when we shop together. For the fun of it, I'll show her the ugliest thing I can find to see her reaction. She' s on to me, though.
          She will be going to an inner city mission in Jacksonville, FL called Words to Works. She went a couple of years ago for one week to the same place. It was a life altering experience then, I think. Doing something that really makes a difference to someone. At that time they did day camps in parks, there are a lot of realy little kids (and older kids) with no supervision, nothing to do, and no one to care. They repackage reassayed medications for third world countries and packed refurbished medical equiqment for shipment to third world countries.They also did minor contruction projects for the elderly and needy. She will be doing the same thing this summer, just for a lot longer.

Enjoy yours while they are little. I miss those years!
          Cheryl
          Last edited by cherylplinder; 04-26-2006, 01:19 PM.
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• teenagers

Cheryl,

I think it is great that your daughter is going to have that awesome experience.

Teenagers can be challenging. My daughter is almost 16 and "I hate you" and other kinds of disrespect is sometimes an issue. She can be very difficult. Then she will turn around and do something totally sweet like burn me a cd of my favorite songs or teach herself something on the piano that she knows I really like.
            My son is almost 18 and he has been such an easy, great kid. So it depends on the child.
            My Nikki is now going through scoli, so she has an additional burden that they didn't have.
            I agree that everyone should enjoy their little ones. I have always loved babies and little children. I miss that stage so much.
            But I get to work with little ones every day as a teacher. So I feel so blessed.

God Bless all of our Children

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Karen,
              Good for you. You're getting closer. I hope it all goes well.

Melissa
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• preview of the movie RV where this 5'ish girl tells her dad..."dad I love you, when I grow up, I'm going to marry you"...then skip 10 years...robin williams is driving and in the rear seat the teenage daughter tells him, "dad, you are such a dork"...
                this reminds me of a commercial they were showing about ten years ago in the UK where a dad throws his little child in the air and catches her again (as you do as a dad) but the last throw goes very high and when the child falls back she has suddenly grown to a 12 year old (message; life goes very quick, better take out our life insurance)

still, lisanna, my 12 year old still considers me for marriage, or at least a man"just like you dad" (isn't she sweet??)

my advice "sportsdoc" (have you got a name???); always stay friends, love them regardless of anything they do or say (it's never personal) always treat them as equal as possible, always take them serious, but always keep reasonable boundaries clear and teenage years might be as much fun as toddler time.

gerbo

Comment

• I'd also like to know how we went from discussing how I *might* be a wee bit stubborn to pent up tension? LOL !
                  dunno, my thought are just all over the place sometimes, still it was a lovely film (though deirdre might be a bit young for it, more suitable from age 8-9 onwards......)

Comment

• Cheryl,
                    Nowadays, is admirable a teen having such interest; In this crazy world, where we are allways running, fighting and working, looking the way to earn more money, buy the best car, and the biggest house..., I´m glad to see, there are teens, being ready to spend their summer holidays helping who needs it.
                    Ailea
                    2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                    Treatment: Cheneau brace
                    2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

• Ailea,
                      What a sweet thing to say. Thanks.
                      Cheryl

Comment

• Here is a link to a website that carries the Medex torso rotation machines used in the Vert Mooney study that Gerbo has talked a lot about. If my daughter were old enough to use these machines, I would probably have her in this program as well. Massage is also something I would look into in conjunction with wearing the Spinecor brace - in particular massage of the convex side of the curve. I know there is no guarantee to any of this, but when you consider the alternative - it's worth a shot.

http://www.corespinalfitness.com/facility/index.php

Here is a link to the article: The Role of Measured Resistance Exercises in Adolescent Scoliosis by Vert Mooney. It's the fourth article from the bottom on the left hand side of the page

http://www.corespinalfitness.com/research/index.php
                        Last edited by Celia; 04-27-2006, 04:07 PM.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I'm attending a conference this weekend that features vert mooney..
                          perhaps i'll share the presentation if i could get registered..can't believe I totally forgot about it..

btw, speaking of commercials..for you moms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk7SGVS1lU
                          An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Comment

• That commercial is too funny ! Hubby washes the bath tub in our house

Canadian eh

Comment

• sportsdoc,
                              Thanks for that funny commercial. Very clever. I am very into commericals, especially the old ones. Thanks for the laugh.

Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• I am very into commericals,
                                lol..lots more where it came from..I just didn't want to spam this board with funny commercials..

BTW, I'm here to ask a favor..anyone have used hard brace of any type that you want to let go? name the price privately..I need some for display..

Comment

Working...
                                X