spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gerbo
    we have been told by the manufacturer (mr mills) that it is essential that it is washed weekly for the spinecor to keep its elasticity, he was ok us using a tumbledryer, but i haven't dared doing that and tend to dry it over a radiator

gerbo

I don't know about anybody else, but our dryer destroys clothes There is no way I'm putting a $3,0000 brace in the dryer. It seems to defy logic that washing the elastic bands every week and subjecting them to extreme temperatures in the dryer will help keep the elasticity. It's obvious from our little group that the elastic bands are being worn out very quickly.
    I also think that laundry detergent can wreck havoc on the elastic bands - however I haven't done a study on this
    Last edited by Celia; 04-21-2006, 11:16 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• BlueCrystalMan/Gerbo,

I looked through the Spinecor Patient Manual and nowhere does it say that the elastic bands have to be washed every week. Here is the *only* excerpt on maintenance:

"The bolero with the attached elastic bands, the crotch bands and comfort-pieces are washable in soapy luke-warm water by hand or by machine using the delicate cycle and can tolerate a few minutes in the dryer (moderate heat). Do not use bleach......Thigh bands should be washed by hand and laid flat to dry. Do not use a fabric softener. You can clean the pelvic base with a cloth soaked in soapy water, rinse it off with a damp cloth and air dry. Never soak the pelvic base....."

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I believe that only the Shriner's in Erie has the Spinecor. Just go on the Spinecor site and it will list all of the offices in this country. If Shriner's in Boston is not listed, it is not a provider.

Melissa
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

Remember you mentioned in a previous post about how loose the crotch bands were and you weren't sure what their function was ? Well....when I was looking through the Patient Manual this morning, I found this little tid bit:

"The crotch bands.....as you must have already guessed...are fixed on the snaps located on the anterior piece of the pelvic base.... These straps must be tight enough without being uncomfortable. Remember that the crotch and thigh bands act as a support and anchoring point for the corrective part. You must make sure that the pelvic base is kept in place as solidly as possible without being uncomfortable. Otherwise, it is useless to continue because it will not stay adequately in place because of the tension exerted by the corrective elastic bands."

Sorry if I bored anyone else reading this...

Canadian eh

Comment

• Thanks, Celia
            We actually got new crotch snaps that Dr. D. put on for us. They are making them with a different material now. We also bought new thigh bands because Nicole's were so sad looking even though I try to keep them clean. Nicole always hated putting on the brace because of the thigh bands, so I thought if it would make wearing the brace more pleasant, why not?

Let's spend more money!!! Got her 2 new bodysuits because she will only wear the Spinecor.

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Just between us..... I have only washed the elastic bands three times since getting the brace in November. The bolero and other pieces can be washed separately and kept clean. The elastic bands on our brace are in excellent shape and have not lost their elasticity. Reading all the horror stories about how you're all losing correction with the brace, I'm actually reluctant to wash the elastic bands ever again

Canadian eh

Comment

• For spinecor users

Hello...I just wanted to briefly ask a favor from all of you...
                I am in the process of developing our web site for spinecor fitting center..
                Initially it was going to be just clinic info..but looks like spinecor lacks much exposure...so I've decided to reorganize info on spinecor web site to more easier to navigate site...another cavit regarding Spinecor is that it is mostly up to the parents to decide whether it is right for them and it is nerve racking to make such a big decision...I myself was helped immensely from your stories on this forum...

I have a "my story" section in the forum for those who have used spinecor to share their stories...I would appreciate very much if you could add your own stories...only rule is that it has to be 100% true without any embellishment...
                It'll be a big help for those parents who are deciding to whether to use spinecor or not..

you can go under forum menu at www.scolibrace.com
                it is still under development so it looks messy now...lol..
                also..once it's completed I'll be adding all the relevant studies on spinecor and scoliosis as new ones become available..so check the forum research sections regularly if you'd like to keep up with the latest..

thank you...
                An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                  The elastic bands on our brace are in excellent shape and have not lost their elasticity. Reading all the horror stories about how you're all losing correction with the brace, I'm actually reluctant to wash the elastic bands ever again
                  still, official insructions are...... etc, also, lisanna knows when we have washed everything, as it all feels much tighter, which i think must be good

Comment

• just as an update; lisanna had her 3 months review last wednesday and we are reasonably pleased to say that in the brace the curve has maintained itself at 17 degree, (in december she was 26 degree without brace and 16 degree in the brace)

So, no further improvment (which I was slightly disappointed with), but nothing worse neither.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                      still, official insructions are...... etc,

Hmmmmm....that's funny because I wasn't given instructions to wash the elastic bands every week and there is no mention of this in the OFFICIAL Patient's Manual I do handwash the bolero and other pieces on a regular basis but do what ever you feel is right, don't let me sway you. It seems odd that many of the parents in this group are experiencing problems with the elastic bands and it appears that these bands are being washed frequently. These bands are central to controlling the curves. If the bands wear out due to frequent washing etc. the curve(s) will progress, there is no question about that! These recommendations seem counterproductive to the whole thing.....
                      Last edited by Celia; 04-22-2006, 01:22 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• WHOAAAA>
                        ahhh. well i havent posted on this thread in a while. but, a lot of exciting news lol.
                        well i went to my doctor today for my 6month check up and........ my curves are now 14 and 17-out of brace-. and i grew an inch! i was like so happy. but... my risser sign is still 0. which like makes me wanna cry. but yeah.

okay so this whole washing the brace situation.
                        i know im only 14 (15 in 8days ) but this is what i do and my brace is fine.

so i wash the straps and bolera every 7-10 days in a lingerie bag in the washing machine and dry it in the dryer with a towel (so it dries faster)(on low heat). the reason for washing them every 7-10 days is so the elastic repairs itself so it is always tight and working. so like always wash it.. otherwise it wont work properly because it wont be pulling on your spine.
                        i wash my thigh and crotch straps separately, by hand and dry with a hair dryer.-without the thing with the plastic and snaps on it)* . my bottom piece is marvelous... because i dont wash it. the only thing not really holding up are the thigh bands. which is- i think- because im so active and always in motion so they are rubbing against each other. which is really annoying because they look like crap. and i like my brace to look pretty .

so in conclusion. i suggest this:
                        -wash thigh and crotch straps separately by hand and dry w/ hair dryer
                        - wash top part without bleach 7-10 days in a lingerie bag in the washing machine and dryer.
                        -DONT WASH THE WHOLE BOTTOM PIECE! just the thigh and crotch things- which means you have to take them OFF.
                        so yes.
                        cloggerx3

p.s. dont you just love my spinecor lingo
                        Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

• Congratulations!!!!!!Remind us of your starting curves, CloggerX.
                          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

That is amazing news!!! I thought you mentioned in a previous post that the initial the correction was less than 5 degrees ? Has it improved with time ?
                            Thank you for your response. Yes, her correction was 10 degree less in brace in one month from her initial out of brace. We were very pleased. There was quite a bit of tightening done. It was very loose on some straps. Dad adjusted and I changed back, worried since I had read others told not to, but it was about what Andrew Mills did. I also took advice from Lori and others on the forum and machine wash in bag on delicate with warm/cold water and dry on air cycle in dryer. It does help to spring back the bands from stretching. She wears it very consistantly 23 hours a day 5 days and 20 hrs 2 other days a week and is out of it maybe once or twice for a full 4 hours at once. The two hours at a time doesn't work with drying time real easily, so I try to wash now when I know it's going to be off for a while anyway and then kill two birds with one stone. I did just catch up on posts from the last time I posted and I washed twice the first month so every othr week with woolite by hand and air dried. I washed once a week the last two weeks with Arm and Hammer liquid detergent for sensitive skin but may do woolite in machine on cold/warm and dry only 20 minutes on air in dryer.
                            Last edited by Mom37; 04-23-2006, 10:24 AM. Reason: add info
                            Shirley
                            Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Originally posted by cloggerx3
                              ....the reason for washing them every 7-10 days is so the elastic repairs itself so it is always tight and working. so like always wash it.. otherwise it wont work properly because it wont be pulling on your spine.

Am I the only one who feels strongly about not washing the elastic bands How can elastic repair itself ? Anyway....our bands are in excellent shape and they're working really well so....I don't know what else to say ? Cloggerx3 - Congrats with the latest news !!!!! How do you get the pink print ?

Canadian eh

Comment

Am I the only one who feels strongly about not washing the elastic bands How can elastic repair itself ? Anyway....our bands are in excellent shape and they're working really well so....I don't know what else to say ? Cloggerx3 - Congrats with the latest news !!!!! How do you get the pink print ?
                                Celia,

I keep writing and taking too long and get logged out. I was just responding to you. I just reviewed the posts before my last as I had not checked and I too am nervous about it but no one else seemed to be so the first month I washed twice, every other week by hand in cold water with woolite and then line dried per the manual instructions and it took all 4 hours to dry and use blowdry for damp spots. The last two weeks I washed in mesh bag in gentle cycle in warm/cold setting with Arm and Hammer liquid detergent for sensitive skin. Then kept in bag and put in drying for 20 minute air dry cycle and then rechecked and put in another 20 minutes same cycle. I am now concerned and may put on extra gentle cycle in cold with woolite and only one 20 minute cycle or when we hit the high heat soon then just dry outside. It just takes way too long otherwise and with heat comming have to wash more often with sweat, etc for hygene. Any other suggestions? I too don't want to ruin a brace I cannot afford to pay out of my pocket. I too read the manual and have been debating what to do and was so pleased with a clean brace.
                                Last edited by Mom37; 04-23-2006, 10:30 AM.
                                Shirley
                                Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                                X