Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
    Spinecor Moms and Dads,
    I posted last Thursday that I had corrected Rachel's bands for stretching. Valerie called me back from Montreal today and said DO NOT DO THAT!

Celia, you are probably OK since you only tightened each one by the same amount, but please don't use my word for it!

Why am I O.K. ???? I'll phone her right now. So Rachel's strap that was 4.5 cm off "flapping in the breeze" is O.K

Edit:

I just spoke to Dr. Coillard and was told not to adjust the straps as well. She explained that it's all about corrective movement and that the brace is not a three point pressure system.
    Last edited by Celia; 03-21-2006, 03:07 PM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,
      I just meant that you probably had not changed the relative tensions of the straps with your adjustment because you adjusted each the same amount. I adjusted each one different amounts. But I wouldn't want the responsibility of telling anyone to make adjustments, and I got to thinking. MY posts might influence someone to do that. I just wanted to clarify.

Rachel's straps are acting very strangely, is all I can say. #3 and #4 were very loose for 2 or 3 weeks . By the end of last week, #3 did not look as loose as it had been looking (gapping loose on her chest.)
      #4 was still gapping a good bit on her back.
      I measured her yesterday, and I think she has grown an inch since January.
      I hope she didn't have that growth spurt during the 2 or 3 weeks her straps were just hanging there.
      That might explain why they were not as loose as time passed.
      Today, #3 and #4 are still stretched by the same amounts they were last week, I checked. But they did not look as loose on her as they did last Thursday, and they did not look as loose last Thursday as the couple of weeks before. I find that baffling but don't know what to attribute it to (growth, changes in her curves . )
      From looking at her in February, her shoulders were much more even as time passed. I found that very encouraging. Her back didn't hurt her anymore, either.
      It stands to reason that if growth occurs with straps loose, undersirable things could happen.
      If I have loose straps again, I will call . They told me not to worry about it, but I am no longer comfortable letting it go. I'm sure they wouldn't them to have been as loose as they were. I should have called sooner.
      I hope will find that all is well at her appointment in April.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I just meant that you probably had not changed the relative tensions of the straps with your adjustment because you adjusted each the same amount. I adjusted each one different amounts.

O.K that makes sense.

Originally posted by cherylplinder
        It stands to reason that if growth occurs with straps loose, undersirable things could happen. If I have loose straps again, I will call . They told me not to worry about it, but I am no longer comfortable letting it go. I'm sure they wouldn't them to have been as loose as they were. I should have called sooner.
        If you can't adjust the straps what good will calling do ? Will you go see Dr. Ouellete ? Deirdre has grown by almost two inches since the last followup. I check her back regularly and I don't see anything out of the ordinary happening. Actually, we have a clinic appointment with her local ortho on April 13, so I feel comfortable with that. I'm going to insist that he forgo the x-ray and just measure her with a scoliometer.
        Last edited by Celia; 03-21-2006, 08:27 PM.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,
          I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear.

She told me what the relative tensions were supposed to be and asked about the current tension of each strap. She then advised me what she thought I should do.

Still scary, as it is a judgement call about relative tension between 3 an 4 especially, but I think better than hanging straps.

I need a drink! Want to join me!
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Celia,
            I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear.

She told me what the relative tensions were supposed to be and asked about the current tension of each strap. She then advised me what she thought I should do.

Still scary, as it is a judgement call about relative tension between 3 an 4 especially, but I think better than hanging straps.

I need a drink! Want to join me!
            I know this is a judgement call, but how do you go about assessing what the relative tension should be If it's too hard to explain, don't worry..... I assume you did adjust strap #3 and #4.

Canadian eh

Comment

• I asked Rachel which strap was tighter. I was at a loss to tell. I might have asked at which part of her body do I check. 4 is loose across her lumbar curve. If you used that, you might make a mistake. Specify which area you need to look at.
              Hope I did the right thing. I still think Spinecor is the best thing going.
              I am not very good at any uncertainty. Life is full of that.
              I suppose I am good at uncertainty. I am still happy. I am grateful for every good thing and always think things could be worse.
              I really think God is good all the time! Life is full of ups and downs, but HE sustains me through it all. I am certain that the ups and downs would be there anyway. He is the only certainty. I know He loves me and my babies. He may not change my circumstances I'm in, but He helps me through them.
              Of that I am certain.
              He is true to me. In times where I thought there could be no way, He has made a way. Always
              Last edited by cherylplinder; 03-27-2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Cheryl,

You'll get through this, promise. I've been through hell and back and I'm here to tell the tale.

Canadian eh

Comment

• cheryl, don't get too upset with yourself, you thought you did the best for your child, maybe you were wrong, but, no harm done, at least you checked things out and learned from it all. Its a long journey, and things will happen along the way, in the end, doris day was right; que sera, sera, (what will be, will be in English, not sure about Inuit translation, )

gerbo

(no more philosophy from me neither (for a bit))
                  Last edited by gerbo; 03-22-2006, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                    in the end, doris day was right; que sera, sera, (what will be, will be in English, not sure about Inuit translation, )

I believe "que sera, sera" translated to the Inuit language is "gerboisanut, gerboisanut"
                    Last edited by Celia; 03-22-2006, 09:10 AM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• I know when to stop, (as in; right now!!)
                      Last edited by gerbo; 03-22-2006, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• we actually have only one really tight strap, one semitight strap, and two straps which hardly have a function and are very loose (i think they are nr 1 and 2, only used to anchor the top bit I believe (in our case)

Comment

• THanks for the encouragement, guys. Our computer has been down since I posted my breakdown.
                          You are the best!

Comment

• Cheryl,

I was thinking, the 5 week followup is VERY important because that's when adjustments are made to the brace by Dr Rivard/Dr. Coillard. Anyway..... it's a moot point now since it's all behind us. I hope you're feeling better

Gerbo,

You must admit, it was pretty funny
                            Last edited by Celia; 03-28-2006, 08:14 AM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• we have our 3 months checkup, with an xray, in 3 weeks time, and I am starting to get nervous already as it will be first time we see what kind of longterm effect we might be getting out of this. Sometimes we think it is starting to look better, but then, I don't really dare to look to close, as it makes me nervous doing that.

Last saturday we watched Lisanna dancing in a classical ballet and she danced absolutely beautiful, enough to make us able to look at her without thinking about "the problem" at the same time.

I think I am kind of confident (but insecure at the same time)

Gerbo

PS; yeah, it was quite funny

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                                Last saturday we watched Lisanna dancing in a classical ballet and she danced absolutely beautiful, enough to make us able to look at her without thinking about "the problem" at the same time.
                                That sounds so lovely ! When I look at Deirdre, I don't even think about her scoliosis - I can't even see it

In case anyone is wondering what happened to Spring...it arrived and it's in my garden Here are a few glimpses of Spring in Canada:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture002.jpg
                                http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture001.jpg
                                http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...25/Picture.jpg
                                Last edited by Celia; 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X