spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,
    I don't really understand the crotch straps. Nicole's are fairly loose. We had them replaced twice. Also, they have come off a couple of times (after my husband had put them in). I always thought the thigh bands were more important because you can't remove them when going to the bathroom or you will move the entire brace. The entire brace needs a make-over. These body suits are driving me crazy. Nicole refuses to wear the 4 others. She only likes Spinecor. Every time I turn around, she has no clean bodysuits. Meanwhile, one is ripping again. I would love little panties or shorts with snaps. Can't someone come up with that. Of course, you would still need a little shirt with sleeves, as well.
    To all the people who got their braces in Canada, were you given corrective movements to do? Who came up with the idea for corrective movements? Was it the creators of the brace?
    So nice to have all of you to talk to.
    Melissa
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• We were not given any corrective movements to do. I asked about P.T., and Dr.Rivard said the brace itself was 24 hour physical therapy. I have had that question for a while. Is the P.T. described part of the original Spinecor Therapy that will help with correction, or is it an add on by another provider?
      I want to do everything I can, as quickly as possible. I thought there was an official P.T. deveoped by Spinecor from the bracing manual on the SRS website.
      Maybe Dr. Rivard did not want to overwhelm us with too much at once. Putting on the brace is hard enough at first. A month or so later would be a better time to add on P.T. if the patient so desires.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• We went with Spinecor and was fitted on Tueasday, March 14th. The degree was higher than originally thought and in brace was less than 5 degrees difference. That is concerning us. First one was 3 degrees less and second 4 degrees lessso we are disappointed. We are real nervous about this. Any opinions on this? I am really worried that is not enough. Dr says ok
        Shirley
        Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
          they have all stretched over time by about 3 cm each. I've adjusted for that difference on the velcro fasteners and tightened them an extra 3 cm from the blue mark.
          were you actually advised to adjust yourself for stretching? We weren't, the only thing we were told that the weekly wash would keep them into shape. (machinewash, 30 degrees, delicates, each in their own knotted pillowcase, I am so domesticated!!!! )

Comment

• I would love little panties or shorts with snaps. Can't someone come up with that.
            Lisanna uses the currently rather fashionable shortlike underpants, and for toiletting just undo's the crotchstraps and pulls the crotchpart of underwear to the side, seems to work

Of course, you would still need a little shirt with sleeves, as well.

again, lisanna wears it without a vest, which is very comfortable
            To all the people who got their braces in Canada, were you given corrective movements to do? Who came up with the idea for corrective movements? Was it the creators of the brace?
            we got the brace from the manufacturer directly, and asked about the corrective movement physio, apparantly idea came from spain, i had the impression that it hasn't been properly researched, i.e., there in no study comparing outcome with spinecor alone, to spinecor + specific exercises

So nice to have all of you to talk to.
            yeah.....

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
              were you actually advised to adjust yourself for stretching? We weren't, the only thing we were told that the weekly wash would keep them into shape. (machinewash, 30 degrees, delicates, each in their own knotted pillowcase, I am so domesticated!!!! )
              Gerbo,

I wasn't told to adjust for stretching BUT since Dr. Coillard wrote down the correct measurements for all four straps, I would assume that the straps should be that length and adjusted accordingly. Cheryl told me that one of her straps had stretched 4.5 cm from the original measurement ! Better safe than sorry is my motto

Laundry day is Saturdays in our household, you're welcome to come by and do the laundry for us

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Laundry day is Saturdays in our household, you're welcome to come by and do the laundry for us
                get the sledge, sleigh ready to collect me from the airport....., not so keen on fish and raw whalemeat, otherwise i am easy.....

Comment

get the sledge, sleigh ready to collect me from the airport....., not so keen on fish and raw whalemeat, otherwise i am easy.....

You want the moon and the stars too ? I'm afraid, you'd have to walk from the airport, as you know our Alpha dog ( Aboombay ) is dead. Hmmm.... you don't like sushi ?
                  Last edited by Celia; 03-18-2006, 04:44 PM.

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• i'll try to stop it now, get on my own nerves sometimes

ps, do like those japanese bars, with food on little dishes going around on a conveyor belt (is that what you call it?), tend to stick yo the save choices, which does not include raw fish....... an experience by the way, made immortal by rowan atkinson in "Jonny English" (a film which I am sure did not make it to the canadien mass market), where his tie got caught in the conveyor belt, with predictable results......

Comment

• My son's stretched a bit... called the doctor and he overnighted a shorter band to us... the original was 80 cm... I popped in the new 70 cm and all SEEMS to be well. Dr. D wasn't too concerned.

Mom... relaaax!!! My son was at 24 before fitting, and at 19 after fitting... six weeks later on the initial checkup he was at 16... the brace needs time to do its thing... there are a ton of things that have to happen with the back muscles and the spine... remember... its taken years for the back to get to this point... it won't be undone overnight... think of it this way... the brace is right now STOPPING the progression of the curve without causing any of the mental anguish and physical annoyance that the hard brace would, and is also working at REDUCING the curve... it all takes time.

As for the physical exercises... it is my belief that the muscles in the back need to be built up on the opposite side of the curve to be able to pull it back to as close to normal as possible... before we had him fitted, my son's muscles on the side of the curve were pretty bulky... much more so than the other side, which I feel pulled the spine out of whack... the exercises build up the muscles on the other side to pull the spine the other way...

Comment

• Hi Blue Crystal,
                        I don't know how I missed your post of your great 6 week followup!
                        That is wonderful! Good to hear from you! I have been wondering what you were up to.
                        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

i'll try to stop it now, get on my own nerves sometimes
                          Gerbo,

When will you learn that you can't match wits with me ?????? Just give up !

Canadian eh

Comment

• Thanks, Cheryl... I check in now and then as time permits and had some time this weekend to look and see how everyone was doing... I did post those results earlier when they were first received... I was sitting in a quaint little Italian restaurant around the corner from Dr. D's when my wife called with the results and I yelled out loud... HOPING it keeps going the other way, but one thing I'm sure of as the insurance battle rages... there is no way the hard brace would have achieved those results...

Comment

• Newto Spinecor

Originally posted by BlueCrystalMan
                              My son's stretched a bit... called the doctor and he overnighted a shorter band to us... the original was 80 cm... I popped in the new 70 cm and all SEEMS to be well. Dr. D wasn't too concerned.

Mom... relaaax!!! My son was at 24 before fitting, and at 19 after fitting... six weeks later on the initial checkup he was at 16... the brace needs time to do its thing... there are a ton of things that have to happen with the back muscles and the spine... remember... its taken years for the back to get to this point... it won't be undone overnight... think of it this way... the brace is right now STOPPING the progression of the curve without causing any of the mental anguish and physical annoyance that the hard brace would, and is also working at REDUCING the curve... it all takes time.

As for the physical exercises... it is my belief that the muscles in the back need to be built up on the opposite side of the curve to be able to pull it back to as close to normal as possible... before we had him fitted, my son's muscles on the side of the curve were pretty bulky... much more so than the other side, which I feel pulled the spine out of whack... the exercises build up the muscles on the other side to pull the spine the other way...
                              Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I just wondered if that was results others were getting. My daughter had to be refitted with European curve and since the first was 3 degrees and then second 4 degrees which was not much difference I was wondering if others ran into the same thing. Thanks.
                              Shirley
                              Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Spinecor Moms and Dads,
                                I posted last Thursday that I had corrected Rachel's bands for stretching. Valerie called me back from Montreal today and said DO NOT DO THAT!

It appears that each band has a correct amount of tension and you will put incorrect tensions on the bands by adjusting for varying amounts of stretching. They will help you over the phone if you have a strap that is too loose and you cannot be seen at that time!

So sorry for a comment that might lead someone to do the wrong thing!

It appears that I should endeavor to use my head only for a hat rack! My reasoning was faulty!

Gerbo, you were absolutely correct!

Celia, you are probably OK since you only tightened each one by the same amount, but please don't use my word for it!

I can't deal with all the guilt I generate with the mistakes I make in caring for my own children!
                                I would hate to add guilt for someone else's child to that !
                                Last edited by cherylplinder; 03-21-2006, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X