Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hours in Spinecor

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine's daughter just went in the Spinecor brace this week. Our ortho put Jen straight into her brace 20 hours a day. My friend's Dr. is easing her into a couple of hours a day and working up to all night in two weeks and then working up to 20 hours within four. I thought Spinecor was meant to start off straightaway at 20 hours.

Would be interested in how others started out.

Kathy

Comment

• Jenmom,
      When our daughter was 1st braced, she wore it for 20 hrs, with the two 2 hour breaks in the day right away.
      CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
      Aug 08 - curve now 22*
      Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
      March 09 - in brace 14*
      Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
      Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
      June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
      Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
      April 11 T 45*, L 31*
      July 11 T 51*, L 37*
      MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

• Kathy, no break in period for us either....the regular schedule of full time brace wear from the beginning.

Bellas mom, I understand your concerns (and we are just past the 1 year mark so let's cross our fingers and see what happens!), but at least we got a good year out of it so far. I couldn't imagine 9 years or so in a boston brace or milwaukee for my daughter so every extra month we get out of it, the better.

Also, while I have seen people on this board who had good initial results for the first year or so and then went on to have their curves progress, you can also see from the signatures that there are many who have 2 or more years in brace and are still having great success. Hopefully our children will all fall in that category.
        Last edited by jillw; 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM.
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Originally posted by jillw View Post
          every extra month we get out of it, the better..
          This is exactly my thinking
          from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
          07/08 - diagnosed with L23
          10/08 - wait and see: L25
          11/08 - Spinecor: L15
          01/09 - Spinecor: L15
          06/09 - Spinecor: L14
          11/09 - Spinecor: L14
          04/10 (Out-of-brace): L30-T30
          08/10 - out of Spinecor
          01/11 (Out-of-brace): L42-T30
          02/11 - Rigo-Cheneau and Schroth

Comment

• My daughter is 2 + years in brace and still getting reduction!! This is what I think is in our future or should I say HOPE is in our future.

I think the brace is going to hold my daughters curve at 1 or 0 degrees until her major growth spurt. Then during the growth the curve will creep up. But starting at such a low # I wish to keep it below 20, I have a GOOD feeling about all this!! If that happens we are GOLDEN!! Of course anything can happen, my daughter is only 8.

We started bracing 20 hours immediately. It worked for our family. I think as a result of this my daughter accepted the brace completely within a few days. Every kid is different, we were very fortunate.

Bellasmom
            We will be thinking of you on Turkey Day!! (we don't eat much meat though especially not turkey))
            from CT, USA
            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Originally posted by christine2 View Post
              My daughter is 2 + years in brace and still getting reduction!!
              This is very encouraging!

Originally posted by christine2 View Post
              Bellasmom
              We will be thinking of you on Turkey Day!! (we don't eat much meat though especially not turkey))
              Thanks!
              from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
              08/10 - out of Spinecor

Comment

• bodysuit with boyshorts

http://www.bodysuit.com/112408temp.html

The new bodysuit with boyshorts built in is on the website now. I am so happy that I can order this now and Jen will be able to run her mile at school without the thigh bands hurting her. If anyone else is interested take a look, it is at the bottom of the regular bodysuit page.

Kathy

Comment

• thanks for the bodysuit info, Kathy. Do you know how the crotch snaps work? Does the whole crotch and 3" leg inseam area unsnap or just a large area but the "legs" say closed? I wonder if there would be a snap under the thigh bands .

Are you ordering one? I probably will order one to give it a try (and then order many more over time if it works well). But if anyone gets one first I'd be interested in hearing about the snaps (i guess I could email the company for that info too)

My daughter is OK where the thigh bands are, but the crotch straps rub her raw on occasion in the groin area so it would be very nice to have something covering this area for her.

UPDATE: I called the company and there are 4 snaps - if you unsnapped all of them, the entire bodysnap (including the legs) would open. You could also just unsnap the 2 snaps in the crotch area (although I'm not sure if thre would be enough room to go to the bathroom). I'm going to order one when katie gets home and I have a chance to measure her to see how sizing might work. Even with shipping, it's substantially less than the spinecor bodysuits.
                  Last edited by jillw; 11-25-2008, 10:02 AM.
                  daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                  -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                  -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                  -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• My problem is that the bodysuits on that site are adult sizes. I tried the x tra small and they are way to big for my daughter. If you all find out that they have children sizes please let me know. I would love to try them.

I also would like to know if the shorts are long enough. I would think they would need to be the lenghth of bikeshorts.

Thanks for the info
                    from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• I actually just checked the bodysuit.com website again. The bodysuit is a boyshort style, which is a 3" in lenghth. That may work!!
                      from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Hi Chistine2

I gave Rita the measurements for the short from a pair of Nike shorts Jen got when she first got her brace. They are the perfect length but she only wears them when she is going to her ortho appt. because she doesn't like having to take her brace off for the restroom. I don't know how the snaps are going to work but Rita said they reworked the suit several times to get the snaps right but to be honest I didn't think about there being a problem witht the thigh bands so we will see when we get it. I have ordered two and when Jen has tried them out I will let you know. I guess they will not actually be ready to ship until early Dec.

Originally posted by christine2 View Post
                        I actually just checked the bodysuit.com website again. The bodysuit is a boyshort style, which is a 3" in lenghth. That may work!!

Comment

• We are back from Montreal. It was such an emotional trip.

I was really impressed by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard - Dr. Rivard met us in the hall of the hospital and rushed through registration, payment and initial x-ray in less than half an hour. Unbelievable - we did not have to wait in a single line.

His measurements of Bella's angle was L20. In-brace X-ray showed 15 degrees. He said that it was a good 25% correction.

I can't say that Bella feels comfortable in her new brace - no, there were no major meltdowns yet, but she is quite miserable because of the thigh bands mostly. They bother her a lot! Anybody has any ideas on what I can do to help her?

I would like to order a bodysuit with the shorts, but there seemed to be only adult sizes. I sent out an email to them - let's see what they say about children sizes
                          from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
                          08/10 - out of Spinecor

Comment

• Bellas mom

Great news. Dr R & Dr C are great aren't they!! I am a bit confused didn't you get a reading of 32 from the last ortho? Did Dr Rivard measure @ 20?

Anyhow that is exciting. I have been trying to get childrens bodysuits from Rita for 2 years and gave up. She did come up with a suit but it had elastic legs so I sent it back. Perhaps if more people asked for them we will get them. I can't remember whether the leg bands bothered my daughter or not but I will say within a few days there were no more complaints. We kept looking at the x rays for encourgement and that seemed to help. I do remember doing things like taking her iceskating and bowling to get her active and her mind off the brace and that seemed to work. If you need "potty" advice feel free to PM me. I am off work thru Tuesday & will have time to chat.
                            from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Bella's Mom,

I'm glad to hear that things went well for your daughter. It isn't an easy time - I agree.

The 1st week the leg bands really bothered my daughter (she's 9), but after a week she was ok with them. The skin has to "toughen up" a little.
                              My mother has altered girls "boy leg" underwear for her as she doesn't care for the spinecor bodysuit. (She finds the crotch part too long.) Anyway, my mother put a few snaps in the crotch of the boy leg underwear and she wears an undershirt. That's what has helped us!

My daughter has been in the brace for over 2 months now and never complains about it anymore. She says that she feels like it is helping her, and so now she doesn't mind it. Hang in there - it IS hard at first!! We are thinking of you.
                              CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                              Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                              Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                              March 09 - in brace 14*
                              Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                              Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                              June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                              Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                              April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                              July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                              MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

• Originally posted by christine2 View Post
                                Great news. Dr R & Dr C are great aren't they!! I am a bit confused didn't you get a reading of 32 from the last ortho? Did Dr Rivard measure @ 20?
                                You can't imagine how confused I am . Our ortho measured L23 in July, then L32 in October, but we had another one in November, where he put October's and November's one near another and showed me L25 on both of them. He still did not explain why he told me that Bella had L32 in October

On the other hand, if she went from L23 to L25 I might've choosen "wait and see" approach rather than having her put in brace. Don't know which decision would've been more right in any case

"Potty" problems does not seem to be a problem (at least, not yet ) - she is just using bodysuit as an underwear, so it's not a problem
                                from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
                                08/10 - out of Spinecor