spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Haleysmom View Post
    There was a post that I think is confusing us. My Haley doesn't have backpain, and we live in Wisconsin.
    Ahhh. That was me.
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• We are getting an extra set of leg straps for $100 that should help.

[QUOTE=Jenmom;66782]Hi, my daughter is battling "that time" as well (this week in fact). We went to her ortho on Monday and I asked if we could buy an extra bottom so I could have a change to wash. He is getting back to me on the cost.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jenmom;66850]We are getting an extra set of leg straps for $100 that should help.

Originally posted by Jenmom View Post
        Hi, my daughter is battling "that time" as well (this week in fact). We went to her ortho on Monday and I asked if we could buy an extra bottom so I could have a change to wash. He is getting back to me on the cost.

Wow we got one top and 3 sets of bottoms with the orignial brace in the orignal cost...we often go thru more than one! but I just realized you must have the traditional bottoms, we have the adult.
        Last edited by Haleysmom; 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM. Reason: more info
        Haley's Mom
        Diagnosed June 2007, Age 11 - NO BASELINE (TOLD TO WAIT)
        Jan 2008 Age 12 - T24 (TOLD TO WAIT UGHH!)
        Apr 2008 Age 12.5 - T30 Riser 4
        Apr 2008 SpineCor in brace T19
        May 2008 in brace T24
        Oct 2008 Age 13 - T23! Still Riser 4
        Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

• Wow three bottoms would have been fantastic!! We are picking up the spare set of leg straps on Monday, that will help a lot. I am hoping the insurance will cover it but they will be well worth $100 to me to have a spare set.

Comment

• Dr. appt.

Hi All,

Just had to share. Jen went to her 2nd xray appt. since being put in Spinecor. Her curve went from 25 to 10! Her Dr. was happy and we are totally excited. He said her risser was between 2 and 3 and would leave her in the brace for about a year and then do a hand xray to make sure she is done growing.

Take care,

Kathy

Comment

• Kathy, that is great news! I knew Jen had an appointment coming up and didn't know if you had gone in yet. So do you go back in 5 months? Did her curve start at 25 degrees or was it even higher prior to being braced.? Thanks for updating us!
              daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
              -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
              -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
              -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Hi, Thanks! Jen's first xray in Nov. 07 she was at a 16 degree curve. It was wait and see, come back in six months. We went back in May and it had gone up to 31. We went quickly into the Spinecor brace and at her first in brace x-ray after five weeks in the brace she was at 25 (we were happy with that). But we are even more happy with the 10!

Her Dr. was originally going to see her every four months but I guess because she is doing well in it he said six months this time. So we will go back in May 09.

Comment

• Kathy
                  That is awesome news!!!! I know how you feel (been there, done that) The good news definately gives us all hope.
                  from CT, USA
                  6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                  8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                  10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                  10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                  10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                  4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                  8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                  2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                  3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Fab news Kathy!

Laura x
                    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Last minute advice on a SpineCor visit

Hello All;

This is my first time posting on this board after few months of reading

Some background on why I am here - my 9 yo daughter Bella was diagnosed with Scoliosis this summer. Initial x-ray showed 23 degrees lumbar curve and we were told to come back in 3 months to see whether it progresses

We did not just sit and wait, we tried to find some alternative medicine for her and did some treatments with a doctor in NY in August. Visually, her spine looked much better

We came back in October and her curve was already 32 degrees. We did not know whether NY treatment did not help or whether it was supposed to be repeated more often. Bella's orthopedist suggested Boston brace, but I said no

I started doing some research and found SpineCor that seemed like a better alternative to a Boston Brace. We went back to Bella's orthopedist and even though, he does not do SpineCor himself anymore (he used to about 10 years ago), he agreed that it's better than nothing. He also checked-out our alternative doctor in NY and agreed that her treatments are safe for Bella.

So we went to NY again, did few treatments, but this time did an X-ray right after them. Our orthopedist compared them and e-mailed me results: "Lower curve is the same, upper is slightly better". When I looked at the enclosed pictures, I was speechless. Both of them showed 25 degrees lumbar, not 32 as he "showed" me in October and 19 - went into - 17 upper curve

In any case, we have an appointment with Dr. Rivard on Thursday, the Thanksgiving Day. I've read this thread almost entirely (took a while ) and got some good advices, but still - any last minute suggestions?

I'll be making pictures of her in new brace to make sure that she puts it on properly, I'll try to get more than one bodysuit. I remember that I need to bring Bella's old X-rays with us

What else????

Thanks!
                      from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
                      07/08 - diagnosed with L23
                      10/08 - wait and see: L25
                      11/08 - Spinecor: L15
                      01/09 - Spinecor: L15
                      06/09 - Spinecor: L14
                      11/09 - Spinecor: L14
                      04/10 (Out-of-brace): L30-T30
                      08/10 - out of Spinecor
                      01/11 (Out-of-brace): L42-T30
                      02/11 - Rigo-Cheneau and Schroth

Comment

• new bodysuit with shorts

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Rita at bodysuits.com said the new bodysuit with shorts should be on the website on Monday, the style number is 8301. She said they have worked on this suit a lot and she thinks it came out cute and comfortable.

Bellasmom,

I hope everything goes well. Our ortho said most of the kids have a melt down the day of fitting so just be prepared for that and maybe take a video camera for the exercises and strap placement. Good luck!

Kathy

Comment

• Bellasmom, Good luck on Thursday! Like you and Kathy said, it wouldn't hurt to document how the brace is put on. Ideally a camcorder so one of you can film Dr. Coillard as she does it. At least one extra bodysuit is good - you'll be back in one month for a follow up so if your daughter seems to like the bodysuits you can buy more then (and if she doesn't and you use another alternative underneath you won't have wasted as much money).

It's a loooong day there when you go for the first visit because they need 2 separate sets of xrays. I was a little overwhelmed and in fact it was only our last visit that I felt like I remembered the what and where! Subsequent visits will be faster. You'll meet the doctors, then you'll have to register with the hospital and pay for the xray part at a different location (they will show you everything the first visit), then off to get xrays, then they do the fitting of the brace and back to get more xrays, back to the office to get the results, etc. So I suggest, bring ice water, maybe a protein bar or some quick clean snack for the kids. You're not really supposed to eat in the hospital, but if you get desparate one of you can take the kids outside for a minute for a quick snack. Bring books, a handheld game or some sort of entertainment because there will be some downtime between all those steps.

Good luck!
                          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Bellasmom, another thought...I don't know where you're coming from or whether you are driving or flying to get there, but given that you've been to NY for treatment I"m guessing you are within an hour or so of the NYC Metro area and therefore will probably be driving to Montreal. Bring some good diversions for the trip home. My daughter was very uncomfortable and upset in the brace when it was first put on and a long car trip would only have given her more time to focus on her discomfort. Bring a DVD player with a movie she's really been wanting to see and/or a favorite movie. We stopped in a Friendly's in Plattsburgh (just off I-87) on the way back and got her an ice cream sundae "to go" and it was only when she was both watching a movie and eating a treat in the car that her mind was distracted from her discomfort. This calmed her down for the rest of the trip even after the ice cream was gone.

Good luck!

Comment

• Excellent advice Jillw

I would like to add Don't forget receipts for insurance and a disk of the x rays

We look at the disks often for motivation. Make sure you have your paperwork together for the border crossing.

GOOD LUCK
                              and let us know how it goes!!
                              from CT, USA
                              6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                              8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                              10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                              10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                              10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                              4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                              8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                              2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                              3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Dear JenMom, JillW, and Christine2;

Thank you so much for all the advices. We are from the hometown of the Boston Brace , so we will be driving to Montreal

We always have DVD in the car, since we do long trips often, so this is given, but thanks for the reminder anyway.

We are staying in Montreal an extra day to make the transition easier

I am still a little worried about whether or not we made a right decision to go with the SpineCor, since I read that sooo many kids have great results at the beginning but their curves deteriorate in a year or so (that's the reason why our ortho stopped using SpineCor), but I can't imagine my child in Boston Brace for 6 years

Anyway, nice to "meet" all of you and good luck to you and your kids
                                from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
                                07/08 - diagnosed with L23
                                10/08 - wait and see: L25
                                11/08 - Spinecor: L15
                                01/09 - Spinecor: L15
                                06/09 - Spinecor: L14
                                11/09 - Spinecor: L14
                                04/10 (Out-of-brace): L30-T30
                                08/10 - out of Spinecor
                                01/11 (Out-of-brace): L42-T30
                                02/11 - Rigo-Cheneau and Schroth