No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I have come to appreciate the predicament of JIS more after reading this forum. With AIS and being closer to bone maturity, a surgery decision is relatively easy, at least for me. But with JIS, it seems like a white knuckle, nail biter for so long. It must wear you out. I'm glad there are developing more options for these kids."

Pooka,
    I feel like am in a perpetual state of fear! Now even when I get "good" or "decent" news, it is dampered by the fact that I KNOW that the news says lttle about what the future may hold. JIS (along with CM/SM) has helped me to put the important aspects of life into perspective. We have been dealing with this for just over 4 years now, and Emily is only 9

Michelle
    Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
    28 degree scoliosis 9/04
    Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
    17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
    Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
    3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
    11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      I have come to appreciate the predicament of JIS more after reading this forum. With AIS and being closer to bone maturity, a surgery decision is relatively easy, at least for me. But with JIS, it seems like a white knuckle, nail biter for so long. It must wear you out. I'm glad there are developing more options for these kids.

Good luck Laura and good luck to everyone.

Thank you Sharon, you brought a tear to my eye. Perhaps we're getting soft in our old age?
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• My update

Hello all,
        Thought I would put out my update, Haley had a great checkup. She is stable at T23 in Spinecor. She is very mature with a riser 4 so we are shooting for stabilization. We are not typical Spinecor patient, due to her age and riser. For all those questions/concerns I read, she is extremely active and does not complain, it is letting her live her life! She wore the brace for 6 basketball games this weekend! I do recommend inquiring about the Adult bottoms! They are more like a pair of compression shorts- a new model is due out shortly too!
        Haley's Mom
        Diagnosed June 2007, Age 11 - NO BASELINE (TOLD TO WAIT)
        Jan 2008 Age 12 - T24 (TOLD TO WAIT UGHH!)
        Apr 2008 Age 12.5 - T30 Riser 4
        Apr 2008 SpineCor in brace T19
        May 2008 in brace T24
        Oct 2008 Age 13 - T23! Still Riser 4
        Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

• Thanks for posting your update. I'm glad to hear things went well for Haley. Just curious, given her Risser, how long do they anticipate she will be wearing the brace?
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Great news, Haleysmom! How wonderful her spine is so close to maturity.

Just want to second the recommendation on the adult bottoms. My 13-yo son wore them for most of his SpineCor time and found they made the brace more wearable.

Mary Ellen

Comment

• Can you tell me the what the difference is between the kids bottom and the adult bottom? My daughter is 13 and in the Spinecor brace. She has been complaining about the leg bands. Thanks. Kathy

Just want to second the recommendation on the adult bottoms. My 13-yo son wore them for most of his SpineCor time and found they made the brace more wearable.

Mary Ellen[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Fabulous news HaleysMom! (I have just answered your PM - only just spotted it! Did you talk to your Dr about the back pain?)

I would love to know more about the 'adult bottoms' too... Are there any photographs/illustrations available??

Laura
                Last edited by RugbyLaura; 10-28-2008, 08:29 AM. Reason: To add a question.
                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Spinecor shorts pix

To all who are interested in photos of the spinecor shorts: I posted them on this thread on 12-09-07. It's post #2649. The design has changed/improved slightly since then, but you'll get the basic idea.

Mary Ellen

Comment

• Riser 4 / Adult Bottoms

Yes, Haley is at a riser 4 and that is were we started. They expect her to be in for about 18 months - which means she will be about 14-15 years old.

The adult bottoms are literally a pair of shorts - very tight with lots of velcro areas. They require completly different strap connections as well as they are totally velcro connected - no snaps, no strings, no bands. They still fit under clothes fine - she did need one size bigger jeans because I didn't want them that tight on the brace (teenagers!) And they show above the low rize jeans.
                    Haley's Mom
                    May 2008 in brace T24
                    Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

• Confusion on names!

Also, I apoligize but there are two of us out here with very simalar screenames. Haleymom was here before me(Haleysmom) and her daughter is much younger and we have had a nice chat! There was a post that I think is confusing us. My Haley doesn't have backpain, and we live in Wisconsin.
                      Haley's Mom
                      May 2008 in brace T24
                      Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

• adult bottom

How do they deal with the restroom? Now she has a bodysuit with snaps but the adult bottom looks like it is one piece. And did you have to get a different top as well since the straps use velcro instead of snaps? Looks like it would be more comfortable.

Originally posted by Haleysmom View Post
                        The adult bottoms are literally a pair of shorts - very tight with lots of velcro areas. They require completly different strap connections as well as they are totally velcro connected - no snaps, no strings, no bands. They still fit under clothes fine - she did need one size bigger jeans because I didn't want them that tight on the brace (teenagers!) And they show above the low rize jeans.

Comment

• Adult bottoms

For the bathroom, there is a piece that opens in that area if they don't want to take everything off - then the body suit would work the same. I think that section is actually being completly removed in the new model, but I haven't seen it yet. The bigger challenge is "that time of the month"....most of the younger girls arn't in yet - but mine is. So she doesn't use the body suit, wears regular undies and a tank top or Under Armor t-shirt - I think she take stuff off most of the time - or pulls the undies to the side.
                          There are no snaps on the top either, that too is velcro.
                          Haley's Mom
                          May 2008 in brace T24
                          Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

• When my son switched to the new bottoms, they did not replace the bolero or the straps, just cut the snap ends off the straps and replaced them with new velcro ends that would stick to the velcro on the shorts. They marked the spot where the straps stuck on the shorts with magic marker.

There was a flap in the crotch that opened for using the toilet. We finally just cut that off because it wasn't necessary and it got in his way. But I think SpineCor is solving that issue if they haven't already.

Mary Ellen

Comment

• I emailed Spinecor to inquire about the adult bottom. Here is the response. Note she says they are coming out with a new bodysuit with legs next month!

Dear Kathy,

Thank you for your email regarding the SpineCor Brace.

Your email has been forward to me by The SpineCorporation/Becker Orthopedic. My name is Valerie Vachon, North American SpineCor Trainer and responsible for clinical and technical support. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

It is our aim to make the SpineCor Brace as comfortable as possible for all our patients. As part of our continuing product improvement program we have been testing over the last 18 months various designs of body suit with legs to offer as an option for patients with sensitive skin. After extensive trials we shall launch in November 2008 the new SpineCor body suit with legs. The snaps are now much larger and repositioned making them easy to fasten; the opening is now more than adequate for toileting. This product will be the same price as the regular Leotard style body suit and available through all SpineCor providers.

We have also been testing over the last years a new pelvic base section mainly for the adult population. The product will not be available for production and distribution until his effectiveness has been proven. Few chiropractors are using this new pelvic base on adults in order to assess the stability and efficacy of it, but I am afraid that the number of patients treated with it is insufficient for the moment to give any results.

The ‘new’ pelvic base section looks like biker shorts with a belt of Velcro. Therefore, there is no snap on the pelvic section neither on the corrective bands; we are now using Velcro to fix the corrective bands to the pelvic section.

Hope this help.

Comment

• Hi, my daughter is battling "that time" as well (this week in fact). We went to her ortho on Monday and I asked if we could buy an extra bottom so I could have a change to wash. He is getting back to me on the cost. Good news he said she looked great and we go on Nov. 17th for her x-rays and are hoping for good #'s.

Originally posted by Haleysmom View Post
                                For the bathroom, there is a piece that opens in that area if they don't want to take everything off - then the body suit would work the same. I think that section is actually being completly removed in the new model, but I haven't seen it yet. The bigger challenge is "that time of the month"....most of the younger girls arn't in yet - but mine is. So she doesn't use the body suit, wears regular undies and a tank top or Under Armor t-shirt - I think she take stuff off most of the time - or pulls the undies to the side.
                                There are no snaps on the top either, that too is velcro.

Comment

Working...
                                X