spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
    And 4 months ago, did you ever think you'd honestly laugh at ANYTHING I said?
    Nope. But I saw the light...

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
    No one else has snapped to the "Largest Ball of Twine" ref ... or maybe it's not a joke to some ...

And now I'M laughing at "microswine" ...

I feel a limerick coming on (it's far too lively for haiku) ...
    Deutchman the chiro went skatin'
    Makin' statements that were far, far too gratin'
    With protractor near
    A tenth of a degree here!
    With himself he should soon be matin'.

(name withheld)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Haiku response ...

Tenths! I know it all.
      Don't you wish I was your "doctor"?
      What?? Not so much? Why??

Laff .. the English version in words vs. syllables ... I can do either.
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

• traditional Haiku ...

Insignificant.
        Want tenths? I can measure you!
        Like to buy a bridge?

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

• I'm sorry ladies; you've completely lost me.

As to the size of this thread - there is one on another forum that I visit with 7746 posts as of this morning. Aptly named 'Hotel California'.
          UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
          10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
          Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Well, while I'm not inclined to discuss the validity of the post by Dsicequeen which started this upheaval, I will say that I for one would be very sad to see the end of this thread.

For about two years, this thread has helped to keep me grounded as I have tried to make the best decisions I can for my daughter. Like an old friend, it has been here for me to vent when necessary. It has also been there to share and bounce ideas and hypotheticals off of. I don't know if I would be able to get those same types of responses by starting new threads.

It also provides a timeline on the results of quite a few children. I for one did actually go back and read through the whole thread when I found it and was considering my options. I think if this thread is "Put to rest", it will fall back to lower pages on the forum, and other parents who come along, will not have the "opportunity" to find and use it's vast amount of information.

At the very least, it could be made into a sticky for others to have easy access to. Just my two cents.

By the way Laura, how was your trip to Florida? How did Immy handle the heat? I've schedule our next appointment in GA for Oct. 7. Already starting to feel the anxiety
            Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
            28 degree scoliosis 9/04
            Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
            17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
            Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
            3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
            11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Michelle,

Don't get me started! I am terrified (double ). Immi has grown so much over the summer and is in rehearsals for a ballet at the moment. Out of brace for 6 straight hours a day at weekends. I'm feeling very guily and have had heated 'discussions' about it with my husband.

I try to strike a balance that will make her childhood as enjoyable as possible given the card that she's been dealt. Maybe I am wrong...

Celia has just pointed me in the direction of a study comparing Spinecor with Cheneau and the results for Spinecor are not so good for children in Immi's age range, and these were children with considerably small curves at the start of treatment.

I am very worried at the moment... However, as I've always said - we were told at the beginning of treatment that she is 95% likely to need surgery. We're just trying to put that off for as long as possible.

Don't let this depress you though as Emily is in a completely different category!

Florida was FANTASTIC. First week was hot but Immi was a trouper & wore her brace without much complaint. We got a wheel chair on a couple of days as she had a problem with chaffing due all the walking. To be honest, she's always been a bit of a moaner about walking so was probably glad of the excuse! Also, my son loved the responsibility of pushing her around.

We didn't use her Scoliosis to queue jump in the end. Disney is so well organised with the fastpass system that we really didn't need to.

I loved America - so clean & organised and the food...

I would miss this thread too - I have also read every post here; laughed & cried with all of my friends. You're right, I wasn't thinking straight - Long live the spinecor thread!

Laura x

ps, will be thinking of you on Oct 7th, we're Oct 4th
              UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
              10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• Laura, where could I find the study you are referring to?

Re: ending the thread - basically a new one would start up I assume? I know this thread is a behemoth, but I confess to being one of the people who more or less read through it from beginning to end when researching our options. And I did find it useful. The other thing I like is there is generally one place to go to find most of the spinecor related posts instead of having to read through all the other posts on the board. I am VERY interested in hearing people's results at each of their checkups and since it's now mostly in one place it is easy to follow. Granted, if I skim the topics on "new posts" I could probably catch most spinecor related posts going forward without too much extra time, but a newcomer is not as likely to find it all. Then again, as others suggested, if a second spinecor post could be started with the first post a sticky reference to this board as well as a little background info, it would remain accesible for those motivated newcomers.

p.s. I have to laugh - I edit ALL the time - sometimes typos; sometimes to clarify, sometimes to make mostly incoherent streams of consciousness partially coherent . I never knew about the implications that could be read into editing. Apparently I have a lot to learn about message board etiquette. Does that mean I actually need to follow elementary teachers' advice and actually proofread before I post? Imagine that. : )
                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Ah, but you're essentially a well behaved forum member. Unlike naughty old me, you never get involved in forum conflict so your edits are not going to be misinterpreted!

I'll try to find a way of getting the study to you.

Thinking cap is on but got to go & get kiddies (plus 2 cellos and a guitar) from school now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jillw View Post
                    p.s. I have to laugh - I edit ALL the time - sometimes typos; sometimes to clarify, sometimes to make mostly incoherent streams of consciousness partially coherent . I never knew about the implications that could be read into editing. Apparently I have a lot to learn about message board etiquette. Does that mean I actually need to follow elementary teachers' advice and actually proofread before I post? Imagine that. : )
                    Hi Jill,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that!

For me it is an occupational hazard - meaning that I have worked with lawyers for the past 25 years and here (at our firm) when we write, we NEVER do a final version until we have gone through 5 or 6 drafts!! I think it's in the lawyers' creed or something - LOL! The guy I work for is a brilliant attorney but I know enough never to finalize anything he gives me until AT LEAST the third time around. So, I guess that I, too, am used to just punching the keys as quickly as possible to get my thoughts down (that's how we were trained)!

The flip side is that I also NEVER take notice if anyone has edited - I guess after being in this profession for so many years, it's not unusual for me to see someone write that way

HA - I just edited now - after I posted I noticed a typo in the last sentence and fixed it!
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• The scary thing is my posts would make an English teacher cringe and are largely difficult to understand and that is AFTER editing!
                      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Spinecor and Shriners

Just out of curiousity, I see your daughter was treated in 2006. Do any of the Shriner's hospitals still treat with Spinecor?

Regards,
                        Pam
                        Good question. I would call and find out if you are interested in Spinecor. I don't know if Shriners is still using Spinecor, but they were in mid 2006. They used Spinecor, and other braces, depended on the individaul need of your child. They were using it for a while, if I am not mistaken. My daughter went as a second opinion to Shriner's, Erie, PA, but was not treated there. My daughter is seen and under orthopedic doctor care by our third opinion at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. John Birch, MD, assistant chief of Staff, is excellent, and had an MRI done. There they found out she had Chiari I and Syringomyelia, causing the scoliosis, so it wasn't ideopathic after all, and no bracing, none recommended. Daniel Sucato, MD, was her surgeon, and Dr. Birch, co-surgeon, and I cannot speak highly enough of their work! Shriners, not knowing of that medical condition, as not known or diagnosed yet, still said far too rapid progression for any brace either. My understanding is Spinecor is recommended for Ideopathic, and no claims or promises ever made to me by anyone, including makers that had correspondence with myself and others. Look into Spinecor as a bracing option, if bracing is an option for your child.
                        Last edited by Mom37; 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM. Reason: add
                        Shirley
                        Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Originally posted by Mom37 View Post
                          Good question. I would call and find out if you are interested in Spinecor. ... Look into Spinecor as a bracing tool.
                          Oh, nonononono ... not for me, Mom37 ... I did my time in a brace.

I'm 7 months post-op from a T4-L1 fusion, and am doing great. It was the best thing in my case, and I couldn't be more happy with the results.

No more pain - yay!

I don't think I've read where anyone treated at Shriners (at least recently) is in a Spinecor, and was simply asking out of curiousity when I saw they *were* using it in 2006. That's all.

(look Ma ... no edits - LOL!)

Regards,
                          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

• Shriner's Hospital,In Erie, PA, still does Spinecor

Just an FYI if you look on the Spinecor website, (I just checked), and shriners Erie, PA still uses Spinecor. It is under US, then under PA, then shows the hospital. I would think they would take their name off if didn't, but I didn't call, just an FYI. I am not endorsing, or critcizing Spinecor, or anyone for that matter FYI. Just stating our situation, our choices, opinions, and hope it helps someone. If Spinecor helps anyone, then I am glad. It didn't for our case, due to medical conditions other than scoliosis, but check into Spinecor if you need bracing, and you decide what is best for your child, or if you are an adult, for you. Do what is best for your situation. Best wishes.
                            Oh, nonononono ... not for me, Mom37 ... I did my time in a brace.

I'm 7 months post-op from a T4-L1 fusion, and am doing great. It was the best thing in my case, and I couldn't be more happy with the results.

No more pain - yay!

I don't think I've read where anyone treated at Shriners (at least recently) is in a Spinecor, and was simply asking out of curiousity when I saw they *were* using it in 2006. That's all.

(look Ma ... no edits - LOL!)

Regards,
                            Pam
                            Last edited by Mom37; 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM.
                            Shirley
                            Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Yeah ... one of the reasons I was curious is because Shriners Houston apparently does NOT (assuming the Spinecor website info is up to date ... because I did look there, but only pulled up info for Texas).

According to the Spinecor site, there are only 2 "authorized treatment centers" (or whatever they call them ... too lazy, er, ummm ... busy, I mean(!), to look it up again ;-) in all of Texas, and both are chiros.

Regards,
                              Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

• It seems that Dr Deutschman's digital protractor is not the only one....

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...4683#post64683
                                Last edited by RugbyLaura; 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM. Reason: Just because I feel sufficiently liberated to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X