spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

Marlowe - how is Halle doing now? Have you spoken to the Drs about her uneven hips? It is certainly nothing I've heard about before with Spinecor. I hope she's having less pain now - If you're a bit under the weather everything is that much harder to deal with & you need your mummy more. Perhaps the unexplained fever & headache were symptoms of a virus. Hope she's better now.

Well, Immy has been wearing her brace without a body suit, just over a pair of boxer short style knickers, for a couple of weeks now. She finds it much cooler & pulls the shorts to the side to go to the loo. So far no problems! She does have some fairly nasty looking marks on her skin but she assures me that they don't hurt.

Had a bit of a panic last week as, since replacing the crotch straps at her last appointment (in March ), she's been wearing the base of the brace too high. This has meant that the bands have been a bit loose & she hasn't had the correction she should. Have discussed it with Mr Mills & corrected it now - much to Immy's disgust as she had got to like the new, more comfortable, position!

Hope you're all doing well. Our next appointment has come through - 23rd June.

Thinking of you Theresa - not long now.

Laura
    Last edited by RugbyLaura; 05-09-2008, 08:58 AM.
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Originally posted by RugbyLaura
      Hi all,

Marlowe - how is Halle doing now? Have you spoken to the Drs about her uneven hips? It is certainly nothing I've heard about before with Spinecor. I hope she's having less pain now - If you're a bit under the weather everything is that much harder to deal with & you need your mummy more. Perhaps the unexplained fever & headache were symptoms of a virus. Hope she's better now.

Well, Immy has been wearing her brace without a body suit, just over a pair of boxer short style knickers, for a couple of weeks now. She finds it much cooler & pulls the shorts to the side to go to the loo. So far no problems! She does have some fairly nasty looking marks on her skin but she assures me that they don't hurt.

Had a bit of a panic last week as, since replacing the crotch straps at her last appointment (in March ), she's been wearing the base of the brace too high. This has meant that the bands have been a bit loose & she hasn't had the correction she should. Have discussed it with Mr Mills & corrected it now - much to Immy's disgust as she had got to like the new, more comfortable, position!

Hope you're all doing well. Our next appointment has come through - 23rd June.

Thinking of you Theresa - not long now.

Laura

Thank you for asking how Halle is, she is doing much better now. She only really complains about these bruises she has from the brace.

She is sick right now and unfortunately I am catching it too, but when it comes to the brace she is pretty good!

About the uneven hips, I think I was looking at it wrong, it's more because the brace is pulling her so far to the opposite side that her one hip sticks out so far, so it's not really uneven I guess.
      Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
      Diagnosed January 11/08
      In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
      Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Back from Montreal

We came back from Montreal today. My son thoracic curve went down to 6 from 11 degree last time. We almost have 2 years since he is in spinecor and we never had out of brace x-ray. We asked dr. Rivard and he said we will do one when his curve is stabilized. So far his curve's been up and down, between 11 and 3 from 31. I am wondering when his curve will get stabilized?
        Also one of his leg is shorter by 9 mm and his primary physician said to not do anything about it, but he gets heel pain when he runs a lot. Did anybody else have this problem? Thank you for your advice. Even though I am not writting a lot I always read your posts. It's a great place to be. Because of you I decided to choose spinecor over providence brace. Thank you soo much!
        Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
        Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

• Shaes Mom

Your appt in Montreal is coming up!!!! I can't wait to hear how things went PLEASE let us know!!!
          from CT, USA
          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't been on. My husband was diagnosed with an aortic dissection (aneurism in his heart) and underwent emergency open-heart surgery on 4/27. He made it through that but 10 days post-op suffered a stroke. They discovered he had a hole in his heart (same as Tedy Bruschi) and had that repaired. He is paralyzed on his left side but is starting to regain some movement. Yesterday (5/19) he developed an abscess on his original incision and is back in the hospital and receiving antibiotics. So far everything looks ok. His CAT scan came back negative but the doctor wants to wait 24 hours to make sure his cultures come back clean (no infection).

We're leaving in the morning to go to Montreal (my sister is going with me). Her appt. is on Thursday. I have our passports, her last x-rays, body suit, camera (so I can video everything for the hubby since he's a PT). Today is the only day I have to prepare so if anyone has any last minute advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Fondly,

Theresa (Shae's Mom)

Comment

• Best Wishes Theresa

Hi Theresa,

Wow, you have lot on your plate. Best wishes for your Canada trip and with your husband.

Take Care and God Bless.

Sarah

Comment

• Theresa,

I will keep you and your family in my prayers for a speedy recovery for your hubby and good news in Montreal.

Michelle
                Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• My Goodness you and your family have delt with a ton . Best wishes to you all !!!

The only advice I can give you for Thursday is write everything down, on your car ride there make note of questions, take notes when you are there and don't forget a disk of your x rays (I forgot our 1st time). Make sure you get receipts for insurance too.

When you get back we all can give our motherly and fatherly advice so don't worry you are not alone.
                  from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Shaes mom, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. I had a hard enough time dealing with decisions about treatment for scoliosis when my daughter was diagnosed so I can only imagine what a challenging time all this is for you.

Good luck in MOntreal - I hope you have a productive appointment. Your husband and your daughter are in my prayers.

Jill
                    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• She got her brace!

Hi everyone,

Shae got her brace. She was 20T 17L pre-brace and 5T 4L post-brace!!! Unfortunately, it was so tight she cried most of the way home and for the first 2 nights went to sleep crying with a dose of Benadryl (that helped). Now she is doing great! She's adjusted quite nicely and I'm very proud of her. The only problem I'm having (she's having) is that she wants to take it off during activities when it's hot. I told her she had to be at rest. At least that's what I've read here on the posts - is this true?

After we got over the border back into the states she called her Dad in the hospital to tell him about it. Then we found out my husband was having another surgery. It was a long 6-hour ride home. It seems he developed a very rare infection and his ribs had become unstable. So they opened him back up, removed part of his sternum and reconnected the ribs to the pec muscles. He will now be part of a case study because the bacteria is so rare and will be on antibiotics for life because they are not sure if the replacement aorta (made of Dakron) has any bacteria on it which could be lethal for him. It has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride for us that's for sure. This has also set him back on his rehab and his shoulder has dislocated because it is "just hanging there". We hope to have him back in rehab by the end of this week and get him mobile. He had his first good day yesterday - thank God for miracles.

I know this is the Spinecor thread but I thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.

I hope to catch up now that everything finally seems to be going in the right direction. I hope everyone else is well out there.

Theresa

Comment

• That is wonderful news about Shae's correction!!! My daughter also had a terrible time sleeping the first few nights (and even a few nights after that she would sleep but would whimper in her sleep...it broke my heart) She has no trouble sleeping now. This is a tough time to get the brace since the weather is warmer...my daughter is used to doing all her activities in the brace by now and because we live in upstate NY its only now starting to get warm....I'm not sure how she'll react to the brace this summer in the heat, I suspect there will be some challenges.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That's so scary. I hope things stabilize soon and they get the infection under control. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.
                        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Theresa

Sounds like a great visit. From what I understand the better the initial correction the better the long term outcome. My daughters curve has been going down every other visit and Dr Rivard is very optimistic. I would assume that is the same case with your daughter's prognosis!!

I am sorry you are going thru so much, I wish I could say something to help!!! Just know that my family wishes yours all the best.
                          from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Shae is doing great in her brace!!! She has already forgotten to take her breaks.

Thank you all for your concern. My husband is expected to go to rehab this week. Last night he slightly opened his hand which has frustrated him greatly (he plays guitar, not to mention everything else). I feel things are on the upswing (I'm afraid to even say it since it has been backfiring on me every time). Even though he's depressed a lot of the time and wishes time would pass quicker things have been moving forward and he has shown progression as to his movement. It will be a long road ahead but we will get there I am sure of it.

Bless you all,

Theresa

Comment

• Theresa,

That's wonderful that Shae is handling the brace so well! My daughter also adapted well. Now we are at the one year mark and she is starting to really complain about it. It's been really hot and humid lately, were in Miami, and she has been having a hard time. I had signed her up for summer camp this year, but I don't know if she can handle it. Last year she stayed home in AC most of the time. I'm getting worried about how this summer is going to work out.

I'm glad to hear that things are starting to look up. We have to have faith that GOD knows what he is doing and NEVER gives us more than we can handle. (Although at times he sure puts us to the test).
                              Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                              28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                              Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                              17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                              Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                              3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                              11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Emilys Mom

It must be tough in Miami, we are fortunate to be in the North East. Not too hot. I was also concerned with summer camp. I found one through our local comunity college, a science program and a program called acting adventures. It is indoors (A/C). We chose 1/2 days. It is and enrichment program. This way the kids can make new friends and we can still enjoy the outdoors when comfortable.
                                from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment