No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haleys Mom, I'm impressed your daughter can put her brace on in a minute...it takes me longer than that! (and in fact it takes my daughter close to a minute just to snap her bodysuit and reattach the crotch snaps after the bathroom...but she's still young. When she's older and can actually put on the brace herself, she may prefer something other than the bodysuit also). Just curious, isn't it a pain in a public(and often germ laden) restroom (school/stores etc)...where does she put the brace while she's going to the bathroom?

Emily's Mom, so does that mean emily takes her brace off every time she goes to the bathroom also?

Shaes Mom, Although I'm sure you posted it, I don't remember how old your daughter is. If she is younger, its unlikely she'll be able to put the brace on herself so you'll need some sort of bodysuit or snapped underpants. On our first appointment, we got 2 extra bodysuits (for a total of 3) to see how they worked. I'm doing a load of laundry nearly every day so we get by with 3 but sometimes its challenging. Maybe get 1 extra bodysuit and commit to doing laundry enough to always have one clean. Then you would be going back for followup one month after the brace, so if she likes the bodysuits you could get more then. If she doesn't like it, you haven't wasted too much extra money.

Also, regarding xrays...when you get your xrays from st. justines, they put all previous xrays on the CD. When we left after Katie's first appointment we were exhausted and just wanted to go home (and didn't want to wonder around the hospital and wait to get xrays). The next visit (a month later) we got xrays and it had xrays from both visits. Just a FYI in case you too find yourself exhausted after the first visit....
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Emily only unsnaps the crotch straps and undoes the velcro on the legs. Then she lifts the pelvic base a little and uses the restroom. Afterwards, she readjusts the pelvic piece and connects the straps and leg bands. It does take her a few extra minutes in the bathroom.

At first I was worried that she wouldn't put everything back on right. But it seems to be going well. She reallly prefers for the leg bands to be VERY tight around her legs, so this helps to keep the pelvic piece tight and in the right spot.

When we had the bad xray in Dec., the chiro here blamed it on the way Emily was wearing the pelvic piece. Since we have started seeing the original chiro who braced her again (he is out of state from me), he is very satisfied with how she wears it (and the brace seems to be working properly now). He has told me not to worry that she does things differently than other children might, he says that all the children he sees have different preferences and ways of wearing/dealing with the brace.
      Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
      28 degree scoliosis 9/04
      Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
      17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
      Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
      3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
      11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• JillW

The same thing happened to us, we were so tired we did not even think about getting the x rays. After our last visit I got a disk but when we got home her most recent x rays were not on it, the tech neglected to burn it. Needless to say I was a bit ticked off. I tried to get them but what a pain, I decided to wait till next visit.

Good point about the one month follow up and getting more bodysuits if wanted. They are $ but I have decided that they are a necessity for my daughter. We are very carefull to take care of them. We have had problems in the past with broken snaps. I tell her dont "rip them apart" that has helped. I have tried applying velcro, no good. Had a seamstress apply velcro, no good. What can I say, my daughter has expensive taste.

Emarismom

If it works for Emily, I say don't mess with it!! They all have to find their own way to be comfortable and confident.
        Last edited by christine2; 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM.
        from CT, USA
        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• It helps me so much to see you guys bounce your ideas off of each other. I think I will buy 2 for now. I was just concerned with the warm weather coming and sweating a lot. Shae is very active. Currently she does Tae Kwon Do 2x a week, dance 3x a week and afterschool kickball 1x a week. So I figured after a heavy workout (Tae Kwon Do) she might to use more than one a day. But I guess I can even wash them by hand if I need to in the beginning. Shae's 11 so she can probably manage everything herself.

I'm a little confused on the x-ray thing. Should I ask for it on a CD or no?

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Theresa

Comment

• Yes I would ask for an x ray on CD. I copy them onto the computer and share with my daughters doctors as well as impress my freinds with them.
            from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Spinecor

Hi, my name is Marlowe and I have an 8 year old daughter that was diagnosed with Scoliosis on January 11th of this year. Her first xrays came back as only 20T/25L on Jan 11 and she was put in a brace on March 20th by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard, her 20 degree curve was now 32 degrees.

We go back to see the Dr. this week, so we'll see how this brace is working for her, so far I think it's pretty good, although I have some concerns of other shifting happenig, hopefully it's nothing, Dr. Rivard says with a high Thoracic curve, it's common.... anyway, cross your fingers for us!
              Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
              Diagnosed January 11/08
              In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
              Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

• MJB,

I will keep my fingers crossed. That seems to have been a very rapid progression from January to March. Have the doctors given you an explanation for this rapid progression. Have you had them remeasure both xrays to make sure that they are both accurate readings.
                Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• MJB
                  Good luck this week with your appointment.

I was concerned about shifting as well. My daughters back looked very different after a few months in the brace. The compensating lumbar curve was straightened, making her look more crooked on top. After 9 months her thorasic curve has decreased but it's elongated and the apex shifted down 2 vertabrae.

Shae's mom
                  Your daughter should have no problem with the brace if she's 11. The snaps are really stiff and would definitely pose a challenge for a younger child.

We got a new set of elastic bands at our last appointment - the original ones had lost their elasticity and strap 4 was constantly popping off. The snap was on the ends of original elastic bands. But on the new bands, the snap is on a short thin ribbon sewn to the end of the band - much easier to snap on and off. If your daughter is very active, be careful washing the brace. The bands can really shrink in the dryer. We only wash the top half once a month and then let it air dry.
                  Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
                  Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
                  Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
                  Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
                  Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
                  Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

• Marlowe, good luck with your appointment. Please let us all know how it goes.

Theresa, Re body suits, etc. Immy has................ 8 (yes, eight!) She has not wanted to wear anything else up to now & I'm not very organised so tend to run out The new ones are a little more roomy and a little softer. Immy actually prefers the old ones, she wears the XS size. The poppers take a little getting used to and can be frustrating & time consuming at first but they soon get the hang of it. I tried velcro in the early days but it was not successful. Light velcro was not strong enough and the stronger stuff was too thick & uncomfortable.

The other day Immy put her brace on with nothing underneath (well, just a pair of knickers), a friend's daughter wears it this way and finds it much cooler in the summer. She said it was fine but would be better with poppers on the knickers. She would not be keen on taking the brace on & off when she goes to the loo (There, said it; just for you Christine ) as it's time consuming & "boring". I shall have a go at putting some poppers on regular knickers. This would also solve the problem of always forgetting to take underwear with us when she goes to an activity where she takes the brace off. (I always carry a pair in my handbag these days - Could be a little embarassing if pulled out instead of my hankie??)

Getting the brace IS very stressful; it's soooooooooo much better than the rigid brace but is still distressing for child and parents. It can rub to begin with and you will probably have tears (yours and Shae's) - We certainly did. But persevere; it will get better & better. I agree that it's best to wear it as much as possible straight away. We bought Immy a memory foam mattress topper which is fantastic! (I want one) and she slept in the brace the first night. She has never had any trouble sleeping in it which was one of my worries. Spinecor is now just part of our everyday life. A slightly annoying part but Immy's rigid brace is prominently displayed in our house as a reminder of how wonderful Spinecor really is.

I wash her brace once a week (almost every week) as an ordinary item & tumble dry on a low heat. The brace is fine with this but Immy has a moan every Saturday that it's got tighter.

Laura x
                    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Hi Marlowe, I hope you get good news at the next appointment!

Laura, this will be our first summer where Katie was braced and I was wondering if the brace would be comfortable without an "undershirt" or bodysuit on top. Sounds like your friend does fine. I was thinking of looking into adjusting underwear with snaps to accomodate some of the hotter weather days, but I didn't know if Katie would end up with brush burn/irritation where the straps wrapped around her torso. If you figure out how to add poppers let me know how it works! Funny, we just got a new bodysuit for Katie and I thought it seemed softer, but I attributed it to the fact that it hadn't been one of 3 bodysuits in rotation for the past 6 months that have gotten a lot of wear and washing!

Emily's mom, interesting, that might be another way to get around needing a bodysuit yet not having to take of the entire brace (my daughter can do all the pieces on the pelvic piece so she would be able to do what emily does) Good because I need various ideas for the hot summer months.

Shae's mom, Just an FYI the bodysuits do shrink a little (and a little more after consecutive trips to the dryer) so we try to air dry the bodysuits as much as possible. Having said that at least once a week I'm throwing one in the dryer because I need one ready quickly.
                      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Marlowe,

Best of luck with your appt. I will be taking my daughter there next month and I'm praying she doesn't get worse before then. The anxiety of every appt. must be awful.

Hello everyone,

A few questions you might be able to answer for me.

How often do you wash the brace?
                        Do you wash only part of it?
                        All of it?
                        Do the extra straps cost (not that it matters) but would they provide you with an extra set at the beginning just in case (like if they stretch out or get soiled)?
                        Shae hasn't had her period yet but I'm wondering what you do in that case. I imagine there isn't much you can do to prevent soiling. Any suggestions?
                        Are the bodysuits sleeveless? Do you know if anyone out there just makes briefs with snaps?

Again, any and all help is appreciated.

God bless all,

Theresa

Comment

• do i want a spinecor???

i'm currently in a boston brace, but i wuz wonderin if the spinecor is any better, comfort wise, and is it 2 hard 2 velcro the crotch straps when needed 2 use the restroom. u guys say it takes a couple extra mins. in the bathroom, so i wuz wonderin if i should ask my doc if i should get a spinecor and my back is lookin MUCH better (2 me) than wut it started out as. that just goes 2 show that my prayers r workin!!! i'm happy bout that but i hate the brace i'm in now. it's 2 hard and i hate when i hit somethin and it 'klanks'. i hate even thinkin that i have 2 wear a brace in the 1st place!!! i HATE it draedfully and i want it off NOW!!! i cry all the time about it and i wunder if that spinecor is any better and would be of any relief 2 me. thx 2 any1 who replies!!! God bless!!! -val
                          Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                          I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                          My curves were 30 and 31
                          I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                          I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                          I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                          I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                          Don't be shy...
                          Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

• Originally posted by sparklegirl59
                            (snip)that just goes 2 show that my prayers r workin!!! i'm happy bout that but i hate the brace i'm in now. it's 2 hard and i hate when i hit somethin and it 'klanks'. i hate even thinkin that i have 2 wear a brace in the 1st place!!! i HATE it draedfully and i want it off NOW!!! i cry all the time about it and i wunder if that spinecor is any better and would be of any relief 2 me. thx 2 any1 who replies!!! God bless!!! -val
                            Val, I have been thinking a lot about you lately. I really like and admire you.

I am so sorry the brace is making you so miserable.

Maybe you are right that you could benefit from another type of brace that might be more comfortable for you. Do your folks know how difficult it is for you?

My daughter wears a night-time bending brace. It took her a while to get used to it but now she sleeps through the night with it and she isn't sore.

Maybe at your next appointment you can ask your orthopod about whether or not you could try another brace. I have no idea what she (he?) will say but even if they say no, it might help you just having asked the question.

Good luck.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Theresa

The way I do the washing is as follows

Once a week I wash the whole brace. I have 2 small laundry bags I put the top in 1 bag the bottom in the 2nd. I wash in cold water on delicate cycle with detergent (no fabric softener) I add some Oxyclean. Dry on low in the dryer. I put some towels in dryer with it so it does not bang around and we are good to go!!

We have only had 2 times when we have had emergency cleaning, but remember my daughter is only 7. Yours is older so you may not need to worry.

There is a small sleeve on the bodysuits which helps protect the arm pit. I had been working with a woman at bodysuit.com on coming up with a new bodysuit design but she had some family problems and that has been delayed. I tryed to alter underpants myself but my daughter will only wear the Spinecor suits. I also tried to get her to just wear the brace with no top for the summer but she said it felt "weird".

We are still on our 1st brace. It is a bit worn but still very effective. I have had to have 2 snaps replaced at the local shoe smith twice, they did it right there while we waited.

Val
                              I am not sure if the Spinecor is better than the Boston brace. What I do know from the research I have done is that a brace is only good if the wearer is compliant. It can't hurt to research other options but what ever you choose you need to work hard and do whatever it takes and have faith.
                              Last edited by christine2; 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM.
                              from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Val, I'm sorry that your brace makes you so sad. I know it's hard but you need to try to think of your brace as a GOOD thing. It's doing an important job and yours is doing it well! You're getting an excellent correction in it. Spinecor is not right for everyone and is still uncomfortable and annoying. Have you spoken to your parents about how you feel?

Theresa, Immy's brace gets the rough treatment from me! I chuck the whole thing in with whatever else needs washing (light colours only, but does the colour really matter?). I wash it on an ordinary 40 degree programme with normal detergent (Fairy non-bio, don't know what your equivalent would be) and fabric conditioner. The only concession I make is to reduce the spin to 800rpm. Having said that, I have been known to accidentally leave it on 1400 with no ill effects!

I either tumble dry it on a low heat, put it on a radiator or hang it on the line; depending on the weather, time, etc. All options work equally well & it takes very little time to dry.

We're still on the first brace and it looks fine. Immy has had new crotch straps as they were always falling off (not the fastener end) and a new number 4 as it came undone a few times at night. Yes, you have to pay for them.....

Christine, re wearing the brace with nothing underneath - this was actually Lisanna (I hope Gerbo won't mind me saying). She found it more comfortable like that & had no problems. I imagine it's like anything else; if you build up to it gradually, the skin will get tougher where it needs to.

Re periods. I don't know! We're in the same boat there & it's something I do worry about. BUT Melissa (Matjesnic) always said it was no problem - just apply the pad to the bodysuit (if I remember correctly). Immy is tiny & physically still quite a way off this I think.

The main problem Immy had early on was chaffing caused by the leg straps & crotch straps. I saw a lot of posts in the early days about moleskin & rubbing alcohol. We never used anything, just allowed the skin to heal & harden naturally; but perhaps Immy was lucky?? What we have been told is NEVER to use a cream - this will prevent the skin from hardening & will prolong the problem.

Hope this helps,

Laura x
                                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                                Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Working...
                                X