spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat
    I am so thrilled that she is still holding!
    I know you were concerned when she went from 0 or 1 to 6.
    How much longer does she have in brace?
    Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• [QUOTE=cherylplinder]Pat
      How much longer does she have in brace?

Thank you Ruth, I think we will head to Quebec City next time! We had maple syrup on snow, it was so good!

Cheryl, we met a beautiful young lady there; she came out of her brace four days prior to her appointment!! Quite exciting, it was nice for my daughter to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The young lady was successful with her brace, she'd been in it about two years, and she was 15. Beautiful girl, awfully nice too, she's a serious ballet dancer. Just nice to visit with her and her mom (maybe it's someone on this forum!) p

Comment

• sorry Cheryl, I never answer your question "how much longer in brace." No light at the end of the tunnel for us yet; she hasn't had her period yet. p

Comment

• Rachel hasn't had her period either. Remind me, how long do they generally brace after they have their period. Do you know?
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Celia's original comment that started this deluge was to Ruth and appeared to me to refer to fusion, not VBS, which I'm afraid is the only other option open to Ruth with Esme's high curve(51,52). If you had been following the thread, you might have known that.
            As Gerbo said, once things start deteriorating, it is hard to respond always the way one might wish.
            Consequently, mom of miles, your posts have deteriorated also and have been less than mature. It bothered me that you did not seem to recognize that your posts had plummeted with the others. I'm not trying to make you mad, really, everyone needs to recognize the error of their ways and correct.

You are all valuable members of this forum with much to offer and we all need each other's support.
            It's really time for all of the bickering to stop.
            I wish we could all get together and have a "sorry we got into a fight and let's get along" party!
            We all have a long road ahead. I need all the support I can get! I have no idea what the next few years hold.
            By next week , I may be a VBS mom, provided it is still an option for Rachel. VBS is the only other option open to me after Spinecor. I have exhausted all the others.
            I think Rachel is OK, but you really never know.
            Hugs to all.
            Let's have a glass of wine together this evening in honor of a truce. We really need each other's input and the flow of information.

I will post my glass of wine when I have it, in case anyone wants to join in! I had a tough week. I deserve a glass of wine and some relaxation. My tough week had nothing to do with this thread, just in case someone misreads this comment.
            I love and care for you all!
            Last edited by cherylplinder; 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Great Cheryl,

I'm always in favor of a glass of wine. I am having my now...Shiraz.

I still, respectfully, disagree a bit about why "things" deteriorated, but I 100% agree with you that we should all be helping and supporting eachother down this harrowing scoliosis journey!!

So, here's to you Cheryl......

Stephanie
              Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
              10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
              07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
              12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
              2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
              3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

• LOL, I'm always in favor of one, too! I have been running around all day and have got to go and get some in a bit, but I will join you shortly!

I used to try to have a glass of wine every day, but it slows me down too much, and on the average day, I need to keep running til 10 or so. By then, I don't want any, I just want to go to bed!

I am looking forward to flying next week. Last time, I had a cocktail before the flight and read a good book.It was relaxing and fun! Rachel and I have got to make a Books A Million run and get our reading material for our trip!

Anybody have any suggestions? I love a great book!
                Last edited by cherylplinder; 11-30-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
                  Rachel hasn't had her period either. Remind me, how long do they generally brace after they have their period. Do you know?
                  I've heard two years after. Looking for suggestions for a good book - - My Sister's Keeper. p

Comment

• Thanks for the info and the book suggestion, Pat!
                    That means Rachel probably has 3 more years of bracing, at least. I got my period when I was 13; Sarah did the same. Rachel is 12. I think the average age for getting your period runs in families.

Anymore book suggestions? I can generally knock out a book each day of travel. I need at least 2.

Funny the little things you learn to treasure and be grateful for. They can be big.
                    Rachel and I both agree that scoliosis has given us a lot of time together and that has been a blessing to us both. She has learned to trust God and depend on Him for His strength, encouragement, faithfulness, love and care.
                    I get time to read, which I never have!
                    Last edited by cherylplinder; 12-01-2007, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Pat,

I'm so happy for your news!!!! Let's toast to bright futures!

Cheryl,

I've been thinking of you and I hope the news is good next week! (((HUGS)))

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                        What a joke! The foul language you and your entourage use is something else.
                        Celia,

Let me start by saying this is a PEACEFUL post. Please go back and read the last several posts. The tone is extremely civil and I think someone hit the nail on the head when they said we should all be supporting and helping each other. I'm very proud of how everyone is willing to move on.

We ALL have said things which are out of character for us. I'm sure that most of the time everybody on this forum is NOT like that. The folks that I know certainly aren't like that and I'm guessing that neither are the members whom I don't really know.

For the sake of helping everyone's children, can we try - going forward - not to use sarcasm or negativity - or to reopen old wounds?

Please don't construe this as an attempt to place all the blame on you - that's not what it is - I'm just asking you because of what you just posted after everyone was trying to get along.
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Yes! I'm willing to move forward and forgive and forget if you and your foul mouth hooligans retract some of the hurtful things you said about me! All in good fun, right???? Let's try to stick to the facts and not get too personal.
                          Last edited by Celia; 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM.

Canadian eh
                          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• We ALL have said things which are out of character for us. I'm sure that most of the time everybody on this forum is NOT like that. The folks that I know certainly aren't like that and I'm guessing that neither are the members whom I don't really know.
                            this is the problem with these forums, with the anonimity it allows it is so easy to really "go for it" in right or wrongfull anger, and say things which face to face never would or should be said. If we are all feeling a bit "bruised" by all this, it indeed might be worth going back over the last 3 or 4 pages and either edit or just remove posts which do not support or inform and whose only purpose was to express anger or to attack somebody or their views in a personal manner, whilst keeping in the more factual elements. A willingness to make amends (and literally "take our words back") would go a long way in restoring some mutual trust and respect.

Comment

• Celia,

My posts were written against some of your methods of addressing folks regarding stapling, never intended as a personal attack against YOU. But I'd rather not go back and rehash anything.

I hope that you also will agree to be a little more open minded regarding the stapling and the fact that for CERTAIN kids, not all but for certain kids, it really is a good option. I think you are under the wrong impression that we are somehow convincing or advising everyone to go this route immediately - we aren't. We just want parents aware of, and able to research, ALL options they have.

I am hopeful that going forward, everyone will be a little more thoughtful before they post - I know we all want this to be the kind of site that parents feel safe coming on.
                              mariaf305@yahoo.com
                              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Cheryl,

My Sister's Keeper is a really good book!! One of my favorites... it was a good suggestion. (keep the tissues near by though)

Another enjoyable book, particularly good for the season is, Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.

Good luck on your appointment.

Stephanie
                                Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
                                10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
                                07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
                                12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
                                2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
                                3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Working...
                                X