No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i really need to study that article as that theory fits in completely with what I think.

rather than hanging from monkey bars, I need to resurrect my idea to start using an inversiontable and try to get l doing some exercises whilst she is on it, thanks for digging that article up celia
    Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• I called Ontario Assistive Devices Program today to inquire whether the Spinecor brace is covered - of course, it is not. They only cover TLSO braces. This is the second time our daughter's brace has not been covered. I just finished writing a long complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman's office that this represents unequal treatment for the children of Ontario.

Since these programs are paid for with our tax dollars I think all Ontarians should be treated equally. Furthermore the Spinecor brace, if used early enough, has the potential to prevent a lot of Ontario children from having very expensive surgery. I think it is time the Ontario Assistive Devices Program, a government funded program, got up to date with the times and started covering more than just TLSO braces.
      Ruth
      Last edited by rtremb; 10-17-2007, 01:58 AM.
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Ruth:

I ran into a problem getting my Daughter's brace covered in Ohio. After Humana Ins. denied the claim for the same reason. I filed an appeal and her orthopedic dr. conducted a peer-to-peer review with the Medical Director at Humana that denied the claim. After the review, Humana overturned their decision and it was covered at 100%.

Good luck in your efforts to get the Spinecor covered. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Stephanie
        Stephanie ~ mom to Ali soon to be 13
        Diagnosed 12/06
        Boston Brace - 3/07 ~ SpineCor Brace - 6/07
        Curves ~ 40 T/30 L

Comment

• Thanks Celia

Thanks for the great article Celia.

Sarah

Comment

• Stephanie:
            Since changing government rules is a very slow process I doubt that we will get the Spinecor covered by Ontario Assistive Devices program however I think there is something wrong with a government program that limits (or even dictates) the choice of treatment to Ontario parents and my hope would be to change things for future children who require a back brace. I think since every taxpayer pays for these programs they should be equally available to all.
            Ruth
            Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Hi Ruth,

I understand the slow process. I have talked to a few moms in Ohio that have been denied coverage of the SpineCor also. I agree with you that there is something wrong with government dictating the type of treatment. They government and big insurance companies (in the U. S.) are controlling the doctors and the treatments they prescribe. It's such a disservice to the patients and they are preventing patients from receiving the latest and best technology for that patient.

Take care!
              Stephanie
              Stephanie ~ mom to Ali soon to be 13
              Diagnosed 12/06
              Boston Brace - 3/07 ~ SpineCor Brace - 6/07
              Curves ~ 40 T/30 L

Comment

• Originally posted by mpj
                Thanks for the great article Celia. Sarah
                You're welcome

Gerbo,

What do you mean by inversion table? Is that similar to vertical gravitational traction?

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• We are going to Montreal next week to have Esme's Spinecor brace fitted. I am wondering if the girl's clothes still fit them when they get the brace?
                  Ruth

Comment

• What do you mean by inversion table? Is that similar to vertical gravitational traction?
                    don't know, what do you mean by vertical gravitational traction??

http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatal...pplies_UK.html >>> this clarifies

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                      don't know, what do you mean by vertical gravitational traction??

http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatal...pplies_UK.html >>> this clarifies
                      It was referred to in the article but I think it was a bit more complicated. Visually I can't see how stretching the legs will have any effect on the spine....wouldn't hanging from monkey bars have a more direct effect? I don't know. Anyway here is an excerpt from the article Regression of Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis William E. Stehbens* and Rachel L. Cooper (p 329)

"Vertical gravitational traction has been achieved by suspending children upside down by the feet while a pelvic brace with bars is held by the hands (Majoch, 1981). Treatment duration was increased from 12 min to 1 h daily and the loading on the head was increased up to 25% of the body weight for 4 weeks preoperatively and combined with muscle massage, manual curve correction, and swimming to improve lung capacity. The program was not applied to children with hypertension or a spinal or neurological disorder. A curve of 117° in a 12-year-old boy was reduced to 57° in 4 weeks and results were considered better than with
                      horizontal traction. Tabjan and Majoch (1980) used vertical traction 6 times per week for 3 to 6 weeks preoperatively, the patient hanging from parallel bars by the legs and feet with additional weight or traction applied to the neck. This method improved respiratory capacity and allowed better
                      corrective force on the spine despite its discomfort to the feet and legs. Thus, despite its hazardous and unphysiological application, traction remains the only technique known to reduce the curvature
                      Last edited by Celia; 10-18-2007, 05:52 AM.

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Hi Ruth,

Madeline needed to get clothes with elastic waist bands and switch from slims to regulars. She is kind of crazy about how clothes feel, so she prefers to have a looser fit. Also, she now prefers to have shirts with small neck openings so her brace doesn't show too much.

I would bring loose fitting clothes for the trip.

Good Luck.

Sarah

Comment

• we've joined the spinecor club!

Well, we went to Montreal on Tuesday and got my daughter a spinecor brace. They measured her curve slightly larger than the previous xrays at 19T/13L. After (and in brace) they measured her at 10T and 15L. I'm pleased with the 10T, but don't like that the compensatory curve increased if only 2 degrees although as others have posted before, the doctors were not concerned about it. I think I would have been happier if her upper curve reduction was less and her lower curve unchanged (something symetrical like 13/13).

Yesterday when we went to take the brace off for a while, I saw that the pelvic girdle had twisted so of course I'm worried about what damage that could do if it happens a lot. I'm also worried that I'm not putting the brace on her correctly...I'm snapping the straps in the right place, but am not sure the bands are positioned the right place in her body (you know how they could be an inch or two higher or lower and I'm not sure where the ideal spot is). I just don't want to do any harm! She's having a hard time adjusting to this and I certainly want it to be for a good cause, not to make things worse! (Yes, I realize this brace is a hundred times better than the others in terms of adjustments, but she doesn't know that. She only knows that her world has been turned upside down. But she did sleep better last night than the first night so hopefully things will continue to get better)

I guess basically I'm a big pile of worrying - our follow up appointment next month can't come soon enough! Do they take xrays at the 1 month follow up? When will we go back after that?

By the way, what is considered a significant rib hump?

Ann, thanks for the tip about Ruby Foos. We stayed there and it was definitely convenient to the hospital.

Ruth, so far we're finding her bigger/loose fitting clothes still fits her and we have definitely gone with the elastic band items the past two days also. Her jeans don't come close to fitting, but she was getting close to outgrowing them anyway. Good luck with your visit. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks everybody!!!!!!
                          Last edited by jillw; 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM.
                          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• We just had our 1 mo. check up and her improvement with brace on went from 28T to 20T and 13L to 9L. He was happy with that. Me too. She hasn't even gotten up to the full 20 hours yet. Her brace was loose and the pelvic girdle was being pulled to the side. He was not as concerned with that as the upper straps being too low on her hip. He said to make sure they stayed on her waist - so you might just check that. He also said I should wash/dry the top every week to maintain it's strength. The lower part needs to be loose enough so she can sit in it.

I know - it's been hard. I had him give her a lecture on how important full wearing is. She will have to start wearing it to school next week and I know she is dreading it. But she has been preparing in her mind how she will dress. It does fit under her jeans OK - but she has a tiny butt and has often had trouble getting the jeans to fill that in - so this does

The pain in her hip that I mentioned earlier has subsided - it was because the pelvic belt was too tight. Now we have to go for PT to get the proper exercises for her.
                            Leigh
                            DD is 15 year old girl, 27T, 17L - in SpineCor since Oct. 07.
                            March 08 - in brace T8; 11L
                            Aug. 08 - out of brace 24T; 8.7 L

Comment

• Originally posted by desheah
                              jill,

i don't want to jinx myself here, but we have not had any problems with the snaps (knock on wood!) instead since lucas is so small when he got the brace (4 1/2 yrs old and now almost 6), the velcro straps on the pelvic base would always loosen and eventually pop open. my husband and i rigged up a strap with a buckle like this directly onto the pelvic base straps:

http://www.rei.com/product/709043

good luck!

deshea
                              Hey Jill,

I don't know if the belt that Deshea mentioned would help prevent the pelvic base from twisting ??? Given your daughter's age, I wouldn't worry about the rib hump. I think it's called gibbosity and they measure it with the scoliometer? They will take an x-ray at the one month followup and for most parents it's a big sigh of relief that things are holding or even improving. After that it's a LONG 5-6 month stretch before the next appointment and that's when life happens

Canadian eh

Comment

• Visually I can't see how stretching the legs will have any effect on the spine
                                i doubt you can really stretch legs this way. Clearly the spine is stretched by the force by the weight of the proportion of the body "below" (below in the upsite down position) the curvature

Comment

Working...
                                X