spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Cheryl,

I hope everything is okay with you (((hugs)))) Where is Gerbo? Has anyone seen Gerbo????! Last time I checked he was in a Cheneau thread.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Caroline,

I wish your daughter the best as you go through this surgery. After having had to see Nicole go through spinal fusion, I would have loved the opportunity to have had the stapling done instead. We had asked, but she is not a candidate.

In-brace progression is definitely seen with the Spinecor. Remember when we went up in May and Nicole's curves had progressed so much in-brace? If a child's curves go up, you will see it even in-brace.

Please keep us posted. We live only 45 minutes away from Shriner's. So if there's anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hi,

Hope you don't mind me stepping in here, but a question Deshea posed has me curious...what is the reason given for not doing an out of brace x-ray at the appt. if they're doing an in-brace x-ray? How often is an out-of-brace x-ray done? I know with the hard braces they do both. It just seems to me that utilizing both would give a "truer" reading on whether or not there is actual progression.

Renee

Comment

• Hey Rene,

For me it really isn't a big deal not having an out of brace x-ray. What is the purpose of out of brace x-rays if not to assess whether the curve is stable and ready for weaning which usually occurs at the end of the adolescent growth spurt? I haven't come across too many people who are now cured of their scoliosis before the adolescent growth spurt and need out of brace x-rays. We are no where near that in Deirdre's case given her age and the risk of progression so I don't have a problem with that since it means less radiation exposure and I'm quite happy with 2 degree in brace correction. There is no rib cage compression issues happening, so I'm just cruising on through. I'm sure it's the same with everyone else who goes to Montreal but when we go for the clinic appointments, Dr. Coillard adjusts the straps and off we go to the first floor to be met by the very warm and friendly x-ray technician for our inbrace x-ray. Usually before heading back down to the clinic we stop off for some munchies at the hospital cafeteria since life does have its rewards I'm sure if the good doctors felt weaning was appropriate they would request an out of brace x-ray. I think it was Melissa that said dr. Rivard recommended 1 week out of brace for an out of brace x-ray

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• On another group I belong to there is one gentleman whose 12 year daughter is wearing a Milwaukee brace and the curve is being held at 25 degrees. Dissatisfied with this level of correction, the doctor is recommending periods of traction for the daughter in order to reduce the curve to a more manageable level. Interesting concept, huh?

Canadian eh

Comment

• If there is a progression, you will know it with the in-brace. Dr. Rivard told me that it's not done because it doesn't give an accurate measurement of what is going on. The back and spine go through so many changes throughout the growth. I always worried about not getting them done and you can see that we found out right away that something was wrong. And we found it out with an in-brace x-ray.

Remember, an in-brace with Spinecor is much different than an in-brace with a hard brace.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thanks for the explanation, Melissa. I had not been able to figure all that out . I wasn't sure if in brace would indicate out of brace progression or not. Dr. Coillard recently said that Rachel's in brace would not necessarily be out of brace , but that makes sense. This is the first time we have definitely seen in brace progression. She is therefore not sure what Rachel's out of brace is. As long as she was improving or stable, in brace, her out of brace was not in question.

She still was confident that I didn't need to seek a surgeon immediately. All will have to wait until after the next appt. I hope to move that up from December to October, but with Mom sick and all, I haven't gotten that done yet. I planned to do it today and it got pushed out of the way with construction woes. (The house from hell is still not finished. lol. But all of this other stuff certainly does put that crazy house in perspective. Nonetheless, it is a distraction and eats up time. I pray that I will mature enough soon that God can take that off my plate. I'm sure I still need the trial or it would already be over. I call it remedial Chrisitianity! I am a slow learner! Not in school, just in life! Praise God! He never loses patience with me!) Hugs to you , my sweet friend! Hang in there! From here, the view is amazing! You are amazing! Nicole is amazing! You are doing the best anyone could! I love you!
                Last edited by cherylplinder; 09-26-2007, 09:38 PM.
                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• thanks everyone for discussing out of brace x-rays. perhaps i am still in hard bracing/casting mode in my head which would explain my concern, but not appropriate for the spinecor. weird since lucas has been in a spinecor for over a year now. too bad they don't have a smilie for banging head against a wall!

i do believe that lucas is going to need some major adjustments to the brace in nov since it is so tight. he's grown quite a bit this year. i hope we're not doing something wrong not having it adjusted sooner. calming breaths . . .

melissa,
                  i've been reading your thread about your daughter's surgery. it sounds like she is doing much better -- physically and emotionally. our family sends her healing vibes.

my best,
                  deshea
                  mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
                  spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
                  tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
                  serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
                  now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
                  and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
                  north of boston, ma

Comment

• Cheryl and Deshea,

Thanks so much for your posts. I always get a boost from coming on here. It helps me to remember that I am not alone. I wish nothing but the best for your children, as well.
                    Melissa

Comment

• When Sheena was in the Spinecor, she didn't get much correction initially for her 43 deg lumbar curve. At her 3 mth checkup, they took both in and out of brace xrays. Still about the same, maybe a few degrees more on the out of brace, but this was after having the brace off for only several minutes.

At 6 months, the in brace was about 45. She was out of the brace for a week right after that and her out of brace was about 52, we decided at that time it wasn't really helping and she quit wearing it. I don't know if that was the right decision, she would still need surgery but her curves may not be as bad as they are now. Hindsight.....

Anyway, I think the out of brace is not accurate if they shoot the xrays immediately after removal.

Comment

• Sherie,
                        I have been keeping track of your surgery posts. I am impressed with Dr. Lenke's credentials. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time. Hugs.
                        Cheryl
                        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• We are going to Montreal tomorrow to see Dr. Rivard to find out if our daughter, Esme, will benefit from wearing a Spinecor brace. I am feeling really tense and nervous about this since we really would like her to be able to wear this brace but with her curves he might not think it is the best treatment. I guess I am really scared he will say she needs surgery...
                          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Good luck in Montreal. Please keep us posted.
                            Melissa

Comment

• Cheryl: Thank you for your kind words. I feel very good about Dr. Lenke, that was the most important part of this process for us was to find the right doctor. We're pretty well accepting the surgery, it wasn't easy for me but time did help. I wish you and your family the best too.

Ruth, I hope you get some good news tomorrow, the important thing is you know you're getting the best opinion there is for the Spinecor option, you won't have to 2nd guess yourself like I did. Good luck.

Comment

• Sherie: You are right - after reading about Dr. Rivard on this forum we feel confident he will do what is best for Esme. We spoke with a chiropractor in Gatineau, Quebec (which is less than 15 minutes from home) about the Spinecor and he was willing to put Esme in the brace but since we are so close to Montreal we thought we would go to see Dr. Rivard. This forum helped us to make that decision. I am very grateful for being able to read all the posts about all the various experiences members have had.
                                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Working...
                                X