No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for sharing it. I wonder why this is not done at Shriner's or CHOP. I had also been looking into the bone-on-bone a couple of years back. I wonder if many surgeons are doing it.

If anyone knows anything about this procedure, please respond.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Christine, excellent news!

Celia, what a beautiful country (and lovely smiling children too). I MUST book a holiday, have always wanted to go. Where should I look?

Laura
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Hi Laura,

Our vacation was in Northern Ontario at Algonquin. It's a very beautiful area and if you're planning a rustic vacation I highly recommend renting a cabin or cottage from the following website. The rates are very reasonable. The "Kiosk" cabin at Algonquin is nice since it's right beside a lake and has amenities. If you're going for cottage rentals the Heritage House at the Sandbanks is also beautiful, although a little pricey. These cottages and cabins can be reserved up to 5 months in advance of arrival - they do go fast so you literally have to book in advance to get your preferred time slot. Alternatively, you can try to find a private cottage but that would be a little difficult for you since you're in the U.K.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/...ckcountry.html

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/cottages.html

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/roofed.html

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Finally!!

After waiting since early July, my 12 year old daughter Olivia (she just had a birthday) finally had her first appointment with Dr. Rivard in Montreal. Even though her curves were measured in late June to be 27/30, they were measured as 25/24 in Montreal. Dr. Rivard explained that it is most likely due to the difference in machines being used and skill of the person reading the results. We were very excited that the curve had not progressed! She was fitted with the Spinecor and Dr. Colliard stated that she had a very complicated curve. After the first in brace x-ray she measured 16/18! This was very promising. Even though time will tell whether she will have any permanent correction, I'm so glad I decided to go this route. It was definitely the right choice for our daughter.

When we returned home, Olivia played in her last game of summer soccer in brace. As she performed quite well, she now believes the brace is good luck. We have 2 Spinecor bodysuits (wow $$$) and I just ordered some different styles from bodysuits.com. We need to find our way and what will work for her, but I have gotten so much information and wonderful advice from this forum that it has helped tremendously. Thank you so much everyone. And yes, I agree with so many of you - Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard ARE wonderful!
          Amy
          Mother to Olivia age 12. Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis November 2006. Currently measured at 24/25 out of brace, 16/18 in brace. Is being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard in Montreal. Has been in Spincecor since 8/15/07. We live in rural upstate NY - thankfully quite close to Montreal.

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
            Thanks for sharing it. I wonder why this is not done at Shriner's or CHOP. I had also been looking into the bone-on-bone a couple of years back. I wonder if many surgeons are doing it.

If anyone knows anything about this procedure, please respond.
            Hi Melissa

I did alot of research a few months back. After a lot of digging, I found that there's a possibility for kyphosis later on with the bone on bone, has to do with the way the vertebrae are shaped and sit on each other. I didn't think it was worth risking especially since this isn't a very common procedure besides, it's not suitable for double curves.
            Last edited by Sherie; 08-15-2007, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Great news Amy!
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I'm so glad it all went well for you Amy. I wish we'd caught Immy's curve as low. Given her age too it all looks very positive for Olivia!

Celia, thanks for the links. We hope to book something for next summer.

Laura
                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• Melissa/Sherie,

I found the following study on pubmed and the publish date is 2007 - I don't know the difference between "bone on bone" and "short segment anterior fusion". If it were me, I would contact the doctor in the previous article directly and find out long term complications etc. He would know best.

1: Eur Spine J. 2007 Jan;16(1):65-72. Epub 2006 Mar 17. Links

Short anterior correction of the thoracolumbar/lumbar curve in King 1 idiopathic scoliosis: the behaviour of the instrumented and non-instrumented curves and the trunk balance.Min K, Hahn F, Ziebarth K.
                  Orthopedics, Universtity of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland. kan.min@balgrist.ch

This is a retrospective clinical, radiological and patient outcome assessment of 21 consecutive patients with King 1 idiopathic adolescent scoliosis treated by short anterior selective fusion of the major thoracolumbar/lumbar (TL/L) curve. Three-dimensional changes of both curves, changes in trunk balance and rib hump were evaluated. The minimal follow-up was 24 months (max. 83). The Cobb angle of the TL/L curve was 52 degrees (45-67 degrees) with a flexibility of 72% (40-100%). The average length of the main curve was 5 (3-8) segments. An average of 3 (2-4) segments was fused using rigid single rod implants with side-loading screws. The Cobb angle of the thoracic curve was 33 degrees (18-50 degrees) with a flexibility of 69% (29-100%). The thoracic curve in bending was less than 20 degrees in 17 patients, and 20-25 degrees in 4 patients. In the TL/L curve there was an improvement of the Cobb angle of 67%, of the apex vertebral rotation of 51% and of the apex vertebral translation of 74%. The Cobb angle of the thoracic curve improved 29% spontaneously. Shoulder balance improved significantly from an average preoperative imbalance of 14.5-3.1 mm at the last follow-up. Seventy-five percent of the patients with preoperative positive shoulder imbalance (higher on the side of the thoracic curve) had levelled shoulders at the last follow-up. C7 offset improved from a preoperative 19.8 (0-40) to 4.8 (0-18) mm at the last follow-up. There were no significant changes in rotation, translation of the thoracic curve and the clinical rib hump. There were no significant changes in thoracic kyphosis or lumbar lordosis. The average score of the SRS-24 questionnaire at the last follow-up was 91 points (max. 120). We conclude that short anterior selective fusion of the TL/L curve in King 1 scoliosis with a thoracic curve bending to 25 degrees or less (Type 5 according to Lenke classification) results in a satisfactory correction and a balanced spine. Short fusions leave enough mobile lumbar segments for the establishment of global spinal balance. A positive shoulder imbalance is not a contraindication for this procedure. Structural interbody grafts are not necessary to maintain lumbar lordosis.

PMID: 16544158 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I was curious, so I looked up "bone on bone". Here is the following video with dr. Gaines:

Wednesday Sessions
                    09:10am Anterior bone on bone play4
                    Gaines, Robert

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/def...&conf=5&edi=16

Canadian eh

Comment

• Question for those of you with older girls...

My daughter is 12 and is getting her brace tomorrow, unfortunately right in the middle of a heavy cycle. How are you managing the brace during her cycle? Sorry if this is too graphic for this forum, but it's reality in our house! My 6 year old is easy compared to this, either bodysuits or underwear I've added velcro to. I'm looking for ideas on how the older girls are managing, especially during that time of the month. I've heard of those wearing boy shorts, but then you need to take off the whole brace. If you'd like to respond privately, that's great also.

Thank you to everyone on this forum; you've gotten me through the last 6 months, since my 6 year old was diagnosed, and now my 12 year old. You are a wonderful, supportive group of people!

Linda
                      ------------------------------------------

Six year old daughter: right thoracic 31 degree 02/07; Spinecor 03/31/07 = 18 degree; 05/02/07 = 22 degrees; 07/15/07 = 6 degrees!!!!!

Twelve year old daughter: right thoracic 39 degree, Riser 2 07/07; Spinecor 08/20/07 = 30 degrees

Comment

• Oh Linda! That's not fun. Maybe you could wrap the crotch straps with moleskin so it doesn't get stained during the cycle and when it's finished, remove the moleskin? I can't think of anything else besides plastic. Lucky for us Deirdre is only 6 and hopefully not due for those changes until much later in life. I only got my period when I was 13.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Linda,

This is something I've wondered about too, although we're a couple of years away at the moment.

The velcro idea didn't work too well for us. Any velcro that was strong enough to hold was found to be uncomfortable so I ended up removing it & reverting to poppers.

Hope you find the answer (& let me know too!)

Laura

Comment

• I was doing a search on pubmed by this one doctor and I found this beauty!!!! *oh happy happy day* It doesn't take much to make me happy I'll be gone all this week since it's our followup in Montreal. I'll try to upload the article when I have a chance.

1: Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2005 Feb 28;7(1):28-35.

New conservative treatment of idiopathic scoliosis: effectiveness of therapy.
                            Karski T, Madej J, Rehák L, Kokavec M, Karski J, Latalski M, Kałakucki J.
                            Background. This article provides basic information concerning a new conservative treatment for idiopathic scoliosis, with appropriate asymmetric flexion-rotation exercises and special redressing positions. Material and method. The analysis was based on 288 children with scoliosis and a control group of 268 children. The authors describe the most important exercises and provide a statistical analysis of treatment outcome in children with idiopathic scoliosis. Results and Conclusions. Early detection of the risk of scoliosis and correct therapy through new conservative treatment based on exercises make it possible not only to limit the progression of spinal deformity (61%), but also, in some cases of incipient scoliosis, to reduce the curvature (32%).

PMID: 17675953 [PubMed - in process]

Canadian eh

Comment

• I am praying that all continues to go well with Deidre. Enjoy the city. It should be beautiful this time of year!
                              I look forward to understanding the entire article you posted.
                              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Good luck Celia & Deidre!

Comment

Working...
                                X