No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's so exciting, Christine! Enjoy the summer!
    Caroline
    From Massachusetts, USA
    7-yr.-old daughter in Spinecor 9/06-10/07
    Vertebral stapling surgery done 10/07 at Shriners in Philadelphia

Comment

• Christine2, I'm so glad your daughter's back looks good. I think Immy's looks better already, but it's so soon I'm probably just imagining things!

Just a quick question - I noticed on another thread that you are going to limit floor exercises (gymnastics). I'd be interested to know which exercises and why as Immy spends her life doing gym (all round the house, garden, school playingfield, etc).

Melissa, you're right! Immy said that she can't do high kicks or splits in her brace, but I've told her that she will be able to - just like Nicole!

Immy's birthday tomorrow and 1st wash day for "George" on Saturday.
      Last edited by RugbyLaura; 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM.
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Cartwheels and dancing is great. I am referring to repeditive motions such as they do in classes. Handspring type of activitys where they land with impact on their feet over and over again.

My daughter has been in brace for almost 1 yr and she can kick very high and do splits, your daughter will get there very soon and actually her body will be stronger than most kids not in brace because of the extra effort.
        from CT, USA
        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• When do you take Immy back for her adjustment?
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Gymnasticsw

Hi Laura,

My daughter does lots of gymnastics (about 20 hours a week in the summer.) Dr. Rivard had told us that it was good for her as long as she was wearing her brace. She does floor and vault in her brace. She does bars and beam out of her brace. He just said the more active she can be in it the better and told us that he has generally had good success with gymnasts and dancers. Also, gymnastics keeps her body flexible and strong.

Sarah

Comment

• Hi

Cheryl, We go back either on 10th July or 13th August. Mr Mills is busy inbetween. I should find out soon. In some ways I'd prefer to wait until August as I'd rather she didn't miss yet another day of school, particularly during the fun last few weeks. But I really want to see what's happening and to get it tightened if possible as it doesn't seem very tight.

Sarah, thanks for the info re gymnastics. Immy doesn't do squad anymore as she didn't have time with all her dancing, but she does do a lot of gym in her dance.

Laura
              UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
              10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
              Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Laura, Give a big Happy Birthday to Immy today!! I also think that Emily's
                straps need to be a little tighter. However, when I washed the brace last week, Emily did complain that it was too tight. The straps she complained about were 1 and 2 that wrap around her belly. She never complains about
                3 and 4, which I think are doing the work. I can't tell if Emily's back is better or not. Sometimes I think she looks straight and other times I'm not sure. When I have her bend over, the rib hump is still there , so I know it the curve hasn't disappeared
                Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• instructions to dr. Rivard's office

Does anybody have the written instructions from the hospital to dr. Rivard's office ? Can you please e-mail them or fax them to me? I had a hard time finding his office with instructions and I don't know what I would would do without them. Nobody seems to know were his office is in the hospital. Our next appointment is july 18th.My e-mail is new lifecarehome@yahoo.com.
                  Thank you
                  Adriana
                  Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
                  Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

• Our appt is July 19th. How long will you be in Montreal?
                    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I did not buy thr airplane tickets yet, but I am thinking to leave back on the 19th, to stay from 17th to 19th. The air plane tickets are expensive about 800 dollars plus we will stay at the hotel. So I don't want to stay too long. We live in Portland Oregon.
                      Adriana
                      Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
                      Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

• Melissa,

I just remembered your p.m. I've never met Dr. Dormans According to his website, he was at Sick Kids in the late 90's and Deirdre started treatment at Sick Kids in May 2002. There are *so* many doctors and the hospital is *so* HUGE that the chances of running into any particular doctor is very remote unless you have a clinic appointment.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,

What is that hospital's reputation? I believe he did is residency there.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Sick kid's is world renowned! They have an incredible reputation!

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• It's the second last day of school for the kids before they break for Summer vacation and today is WACKY WATER DAY at their school so Deirdre went to school without her brace and she's wearing her bathing suit underneath shorts and tank top. The smile on her face was absolutely priceless because even though the Spinecor is virtually invisible *she* knows she's wearing the brace and hence feels different from the other kids to a certain extent but today she was just one of them.

Canadian eh

Comment

• l too loves her occasional bracefree evening or (even) day
                                Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X