Post surgery, questions on fusion low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post surgery, questions on fusion low

Saylor was released yesterday, and we're home.... she did great coming home, last night not bad. today not good at all. She's hurting, and having a hard time adjusting.

I posted a few days ago, she has rods going all the way down her back, 14 screws per side, and was fused low (he said he was going for L3, but had to go to L4), anyone have anything this extensive done... and any ideas on how long she'll be unable to walk unassisted, get herself up out of bed? I realize she will need help, she has rods where we bend and twist but oh she's just miserable right now.

Thanks
    Jen

When was Sailor's surgery? I think it's very early days yet? The first few weeks are unpleasant and it must be very hard on mothers taking care of their children after this surgery.

There are many on this forum with rods to the sacrum, some anchored to pelvis. Every patient seems to recover at his/her own rate but most are walking on their own before they leave hospital. Some insist on the patient climbing stairs before they're allowed home. I feel that Sailor will be doing these things on her own very soon. She may be more frightened (rather than in pain,) to walk on her own. Give her a few more days, things might be quite different.

You will find she has good days and bad days. Soon the good days keep coming. I think good pain relief is essential. If she's not in so much pain, she may be more willing to get out of bed on her own and walk unassisted. It certainly makes it easier! If the pain doesn't ease up in a day or two (she may just be having a bad day) I think a visit to your GP for something more effective, is called for. Good pain relief = plenty of daily walking = gaining strength = increased appetite = increased feeling of wellbeing. Just my opinion.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks...

Surgery was Monday at 1, finished up at 6pm; so yes we're still in the early days.

I was thinking it's all pretty normal but then again, never done this before. Of course, Dr. didn't require much other than no cath, and that she could walk assisted. so she opted to come home. she's doing a bit better this afternoon, she's tired, and I think that has ALOT to do with it. She also feels pretty bad she can't do alot on her own, and that is affecting her. I just reassure her that she will be soon and until then mom is there for her... but oh lordy I'm exhausted. Dad tries but....

I'll keep her pain managed, and then they are also calling in a mild anti-anxiety med. She gets anxious and starts to get a little freaked and pain increases... so that should help settle her when the days are bad.

Jen

Comment

Jen,

I know, Dads try, but sometimes it seems like only Mom can do anything right. Poor Dad! Remember, you HAVE to take care of yourself or you'll get run down and/or sick and you'll be useless to your daughter. Take some time for yourself, take a looong bath, go for a walk or simply invite a friend over for a visit. Get your daughter comfortable, make sure she isn't due for pain meds or to be turned and let Dad stay with her for a little while and go do something for yourself, even if it is just havng a cup of coffee or a long shower. You'll feel better and much less stressed.

Are you napping when your daughter naps? I found that if I napped or at least took a rest, I managed much better. It is as though you have a new born baby in the house isn't it?

Hang in there. You are in the early days and it willl get better.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

How is Saylor (such a neat name) today? Was also wondering how old she is. I'm gathering up all this information to help myself prepare for possible future surgery for my teenage son, thanks.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Yes I'm napping some and it does seem as if we have a newborn.... I said that to my hubby yesterday!!! If Dad could help in the bathroom, we'd be golden! He can do soooo much for her and does help... but today she's doing way better, she can move herself in bed pretty well now and is learning not to move a certain way or she flares with a little pain.... I'm very impressed, she turned a corner and is managing this very well.

I got more sleep last night, which is a plus... still up frequently with her but not as much... woohoo; gonna go to the store later... just to get out for a few. Dad says worst case if she has to pee, he'll get her to the bathroom, help her with her clothes and turn a bit, they'll manage

Her best friend is on their way over and luckily mom and I are good friends too.. so that will be anice visit, she's resting now waiting on them to come and then after she said she'll nap. Mom said they'll keep the visit short. Poor friend (Taylor of all names, taylor and saylor),,.. she called my mom hourly last Monday wanting news on saylor.

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
            Jen,

I know, Dads try, but sometimes it seems like only Mom can do anything right. Poor Dad! Remember, you HAVE to take care of yourself or you'll get run down and/or sick and you'll be useless to your daughter. Take some time for yourself, take a looong bath, go for a walk or simply invite a friend over for a visit. Get your daughter comfortable, make sure she isn't due for pain meds or to be turned and let Dad stay with her for a little while and go do something for yourself, even if it is just havng a cup of coffee or a long shower. You'll feel better and much less stressed.

Are you napping when your daughter naps? I found that if I napped or at least took a rest, I managed much better. It is as though you have a new born baby in the house isn't it?

Hang in there. You are in the early days and it willl get better.

Mary Lou

Comment

She's doing so much better today. She's 12 1/2 and doing very well today, much easy to move and stay alert and not need as much medicaation.

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
              How is Saylor (such a neat name) today? Was also wondering how old she is. I'm gathering up all this information to help myself prepare for possible future surgery for my teenage son, thanks.

Comment

Congrats on Saylor turning the corner! I'm glad to hear that Dad is helping as much as possible. Did you and Saylor enjoy your visit? I bet it tired her out, but was good for both of you. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt like I had a newborn all over again!

Keep doing what you're doing....because you are doing a great job!

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Sounds like things are coming along nicely. It only takes one or two slightly better days, to give you the confidence to believe that things ARE getting better. I hope she's on a roll now and the stress of all this starts to ease. You've just been through a VERY difficult time and you're through the worst of it!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Better

The afternoon went well. The visit was great for us all! She enjoyed it. Pretty tired now which is good!!

Dad moved a tv and the Wii into her room, she can watch netflix on it OR prop up and play her Wii games which she is loving. She is getting up a bit more and can walk with minimal help (her insistance there, I panic of course)...

I do have to find out, she's on Hydrocodone/Tylenol and she pees ALL THE TIME. I swear we go hourly which in middle of the night is a bit hard But she is drinking water as she's thirsty so I think the meds and the water maybe?? Not sure, we have postop in San diego Wednesday so I'll find out ... I am sooo proud of her though. And of me and dad, we handled this better than I thought we would but there were moments!! Thats for sure. Surgery day waiting was the worst!!

oh.. and someone mentioned how neat her name is.... it's my moms maiden name. We gave her her grandpa's name so it can be carried on someway and it's different, but I am hearing more and more girls with this name, and the first three I heard of, the parents were military in Japan, which is where my baby was born.

Comment

Working...
                    X