No announcement yet.

So glad I found you guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You both will be in my prayers. Please let us know when he gets out of surgery

Melissa

Comment

• Thank you Melissa and I will let you all know how the surgery tomorrow goes. I might be spending a bit more time online while he's in surgery b/c I don't have my sister here this time to keep me occupied.

~Surgery tomorrow!

On another note, I re-read a couple of my recent posts and noticed that I've been spelling 'wait' as 'weight' and I'm sure it has to do with having to deal so much with all these weights during his traction. I'll probably be spelling it that way for years now, lol.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Very best wishes for a successful surgery tomorrow and a quick recovery after that!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

• I am so glad that the hospital is a such a lovely place since you guys had to spend so many days there. Small mercies.

The most important thing is Elias will have a back after tomorrow that he can live with probably for the rest of his life. Everyone can move on. It's going to be sweet. :-)
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• More chinchilla pictures!

They have such opulent, palatial homes!

And I would be surprised if there are any other chinchillas with more toys! Toys are so important.

I'm sure when you get home you will be shocked at how they and the cats have grown up and gotten so big!

What time is the surgery tomorrow? I'm glad to hear it will only be 3-4 hours long. He's got some of the screws in so that will save time.
            Last edited by Pooka1; 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Tuesday has arrived on this side of the world. Thinking of you both. You're on the home straight! Hope it goes as smoothly or even better than the first one. Elias is not going to recognise this new back of his. What an amazing journey and you've made it such an inspiring story.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                They have such opulent, palatial homes!

And I would be surprised if there are any other chinchillas with more toys! Toys are so important.

I'm sure when you get home you will be shocked at how they and the cats have grown up and gotten so big!

What time is the surgery tomorrow? I'm glad to hear it will only be 3-4 hours long. He's got some of the screws in so that will save time.
                Yes, I do tend to spoil them all but it's hard not to b/c they're so darn cute and love it when they get new things... just like people. I order pretty much everything online b/c the pet shops carry crappy stuff that isn't even good for chinchillas and it's way overpriced. They all have big wheels (see pic attached, not my chin though) that I've ordered from the US.

Elias' surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM. They just had a little get-out-of-traction party for him with chocolate cake from Trader Joe's and it was so good. His last supper tonight will be sushi and water, he's so adventurous, lol.

Hdhugger is coming to see me tomorrow so I'll have some company after all. She's so nice! :-)
                Attached Files

Comment

• Thinking of you both!!! Best of luck tomorrow! Please update us when you can on how he is doing!
                  Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
                  Diagnosed January 11/08
                  In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
                  Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Finally, the big day has arrived! (almost)

A date we all wait for, with anticipation and fear....
                    Might the skilled surgeon straighten his spine, and install all his new gear...
                    Many will notice his straightened back, which will no longer be out of whack
                    but in the end, I think I’m going to have to go out for a beer...

Cheer’s and best wishes. Things are going to be fine.
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Ti Ed, a true Renaissance man... :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Today's X-Ray

This first picture is from today’s x-ray (they’re reversed). It was taken while Elias was sitting down which crunches up your spine a bit. I’ll find out the measurement of it tomorrow but it looks pretty good.

The second one was taken on March 22nd. before he had his first surgery & halo traction and he is lying down which stretches your spine out. You can see how crunched up he is even though he’s lying totally flat on his back in the operating room.

Met with the anesthesiologist a little while ago to touch base for tomorrow morning and everything is a go. We are both really looking forward to getting this final stage of the three-stage process to correct his spine over with so we can move on with our lives back home in beautiful Campbell River.

Ed, you're funny and I am dying for a good ole Canadian beer or two...!

Edit: Looks like the pics are not in order. Obviously the really crooked one with the vertebrae markers on it was taken just before his posterior release on March 22nd.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Elisa; 04-18-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Wow huge improvement so far!

He's got some major rotation at the apex of the curve. The one set of screws are almost directly side-on like I imagine anterior screws appear from the front. I suppose that is expected in a curve of that magnitude.

My one kid was torqued up very much but the surgeon was able to take out virtually all of it. I bet Dr. K does the same with Elias. The screws make this possible.

Good luck for tomorrow. Big day. The first day of the rest of Elias' life.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Yes, he has "significant rotation". It will be interesting to see what the final results will be. I was looking back on some pics I took of his back on March 19th. and it's really obvious that the right side of his neck is quite a bit shorter than the left side. No wonder he had so much neck pain when the traction was first put on as those muscles on his right side were yanked up a lot. He looks so much more even now at the top of his shoulders even though his neck hurt like hell. That was his main complaint about the traction.

Comment

• Dear Elisa,

The big day is finally just about here, and you have so many of us here who will be waiting to hear the good news that surgery is over and Elias is safely to the other side.

You sound wonderful, calm, positive and resolute. You and Elias will be in my thoughts all day tomorrow. Please update when you can.

Does Elias know he has an almost cult following here on the NSF rooting for him and his new spine?

Fondly,
                              Gayle, age 50
                              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Elisa,

I am keeping you both in my prayers. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Your journey has been amazing and we are all now completely emotionally invested in Elias' well being. I can't wait for the "after" picture!!!

Best wishes,
                                Mati

Comment

Working...
                                X