transportation after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transportation after surgery

Hello...Im not sure if IM posting in the right place, but my son has surgery in few weeks. I have a minivan that he has to step up to get into. IS this going to be problem for riding home or other visits? Should I get some kind of step stool? Anyone that has a van and had surgery was it painful to get in and out of? I can use my sons regular car if needed but of course prefer my own..Any inputs would help me relax on this subject....
    Thanks
    Kelly
    mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
    Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
    Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
    Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
    Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
    scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
    Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

It is easier to get in and out of a van than a car because the car is lower to the ground.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I agree with jsully! My 14-year-old daughter had spinal fusion about 8 weeks ago, and she did great getting in and out of the van. It was much easier for her to get in and out of the front passenger seat at first, but soon she was sitting wherever. We did use pillows in the van for several weeks.

Good luck! Others have said this here, but its so true: the waiting for surgery and first couple weeks afterward are the worst part of all this.

You will be amazed by your child's resilience!
      Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

Working...
      X