Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Maternal Age Associated with AIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    But the fact that these AIS cases that appear to be inherited in an autosomally dominant fashion do not differ from those inherited in more complex ways seems to suggest they are all one condition and either:
    But these familial cases may very well differ. They may be the most difficult cases to treat...as shown by the juvenile cases which also appear primarily in those families. And these familial cases are what Axial Biotech is researching.
    Last edited by Ballet Mom; 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
      But these familial cases may very well differ. They may be the most difficult cases to treat...as shown by the juvenile cases which also appear primarily in those families. And these familial cases are what Axial Biotech is researching.
      But the article said they don't differ at least in terms of

1. ethnicity
      2. fraction of male probands
      3. age at first presentation
      4. severity in affected individuals (P>0.1 in all instances).

That seems like they are all the same animal and the patterns of genetic inheritance (autosomal dominant and complex/polygeenic/multifactorial) blend into each other or completely overlap.

Gieven that 1/4 to 1/3 of the cases appear to be a straight autosomal dominant pattern, that appears to be the nail in the coffin on germ theory for them at least (or a perfectly ubiquitous germ in space and time, i.e. NOT a germ).
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• B the way, where does it state Scoliscore was developed excusively among these autosomal dominant groups? Rorher said they didn't ask her about her family so they can't know if all the data or some of the data or none of the data are from this group or the larger apparently complex group. It probably reflects the prevalence in the larger population.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

But the article said they don't differ at least in terms of

1. ethnicity
          2. fraction of male probands
          3. age at first presentation
          4. severity in affected individuals (P>0.1 in all instances).

That seems like they are all the same animal and the patterns of genetic inheritance (autosomal dominant and complex/polygeenic/multifactorial) blend into each other or completely overlap.

Gieven that 1/4 to 1/3 of the cases appear to be a straight autosomal dominant pattern, that appears to be the nail in the coffin on germ theory for them at least (or a perfectly ubiquitous germ in space and time, i.e. NOT a germ).
          My daughter responded nicely to bracing. Others don't. It could very well be the tenacity of progression that differs.

I could still see that "a germ" of some sort triggers the initial curvature. It's certainly not ruled out.

Comment

My daughter responded nicely to bracing. Others don't. It could very well be the tenacity of progression that differs.

I could still see that "a germ" of some sort triggers the initial curvature. It's certainly not ruled out.
            The blurb of the article I am able to access also says the following:

"the different curve types in RGs and BDs suggest that the exercise pattern over many years determines which type of scoliosis develops, although not the curve severity".

So in actuality, apparently different curve types are developing in response to whether one is in rhythmic gymnastics versus ballet. That is amazing.

Comment

B the way, where does it state Scoliscore was developed excusively among these autosomal dominant groups? Rorher said they didn't ask her about her family so they can't know if all the data or some of the data or none of the data are from this group or the larger apparently complex group. It probably reflects the prevalence in the larger population.
              The original genetic data was from the familial type of scoliosis. Obviously they are the only ones with family members with scoliosis to study a genetic tree. The resulting data is not exact and is actually quite broad and inaccurate. That would reflect that the larger group of scoliosis has multifactorial scoliosis and not necessarily genetically driven other than having genetic predispositions to it. i.e. body type, hyperextended joints, etc. The girls in ballet with scoliosis always have the hyperextended joints...I haven't seen one case of scoliosis in ballet that didn't have those joints. I'm curious whether that is true with the familial type of scoliosis also...I suspect it may not be true.
              Last edited by Ballet Mom; 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

That would reflect that the larger group of scoliosis has multifactorial scoliosis and not necessarily genetically driven other than having genetic predispositions to it. i.e. body type, hyperextended joints, etc.
                According to Scoliscore, it's *all* multifactorial. Either that or they simply don't talk about or test for the purely familial form.

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                  According to Scoliscore, it's *all* multifactorial. Either that or they simply don't talk about or test for the purely familial form.
                  They may talk about it, but they've developed a genetic test using familial genes. Have they identified the "tenacity" gene? Obviously hyperextended joints play a big affect...do these original genes identify that? I'm not sure that familial scoliosis necessarily has hyperextended joints. They may.

The main issue with the test is this...if it's accurate and works, it's okay to use it. Unfortunately, it obviously doesn't work well enough. It lets kids progress to at least forty degrees and lets many of them progress to surgery anyway without treatment. As far as I'm concerned, it would be a travesty to use this test as the standard of care.

It's like doctors stating that the odds of that colon polyp changing into a cancerous tumor is low, and therefore we won't remove it. And if you're one of the unlucky ones that has a polyp that turns into colon cancer, well...we have surgery to fix it. I'm sure no one will mind having a colostomy. What a bizarre way to conduct medicine. As far as I'm concerned it's a "scientific" way to remove the cost of bracing and office visits from the medical system. And it's not right.

And did anyone notice that the inventors of the Scoliscore test have a vision with no place for bracing in the future? And much less treatment of all cases. How is that okay? Bracing has saved my daughter and I resent any scientist stating that others will not be able to receive that same treatment that worked perfectly well for her and avoided surgery.
                  Last edited by Ballet Mom; 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Curve prorgession seemed controlled by genetics which is why Scoliscore works for negative prediction. So that is one thing that seeems to be well under genetic control (or genetic susceptibility with a perfectly ubiquitous factor).

It's ruled out unless someone can find a perfectly ubiquitous germ. It's never been done to my knowledge. It's the nail in the coffin of germ theory for those straight autosomal dominant patterns.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The blurb of the article I am able to access also says the following:

"the different curve types in RGs and BDs suggest that the exercise pattern over many years determines which type of scoliosis develops, although not the curve severity".

So in actuality, apparently different curve types are developing in response to whether one is in rhythmic gymnastics versus ballet. That is amazing.
                      It's only amazing if true. Need to see the data to see if it is indeed different from the general population.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It's ruled out unless someone can find a perfectly ubiquitous germ. It's never been done to my knowledge. It's the nail in the coffin of germ theory for those straight autosomal dominant patterns.
                        What's not ubiquitous about chicken pox?

Comment

The original genetic data was from the familial type of scoliosis.
                          Where does it say that? How can they know that if they didn't ask the patients?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                            Multifactorial means things like gene penetrance and gene heterogenicity. It doesn't mean susceptibility to germs.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

What's not ubiquitous about chicken pox?
                              It's not present in all locations at all times. That one is obviously not ubiquitous.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Where does it say that? How can they know that if they didn't ask the patients?
                                If you want to read back in this thread, I give a quote from one of the head researchers.

Comment

Working...
                                X