Dr. Phillips in Houston, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Phillips in Houston, TX

I was 11 yo when Dr. Phillips diagnosed me with scoliosis. At the appointment where he gave me the diagnosis he also informed me I would need to wear a brace. At this point I started to cry. I had a miserable time in school and didn't want to wear the brace because I would be bullied about it. A soon as I started crying and curled up on the examine table he flipped and became cruel and verbally abusive. He said he "never had seen anyone react like this" and "what is wrong with you" and "sit up now." He was horrible and my mom just sat there in shock. This was the last appointment I had with him. We moved out of the area. He had unrealistic expectations of an 11 yo. I didn't understand what scoliosis was or what it even looked like. I never paid much attention to my back and he never showed me a photo of scoliosis or an example brace. My 11 yo mind couldn't process what was happening and he did a piss poor job of communicating my condition on a level I could understand. In the years since I'm quite confident he has encountered other kids upset about wearing a brace. I can't imagine he hasn't! I think he is missing an emotional chip and should NOT be working with kids. Years later I'm still traumatized by how he treated me when I was so scared and upset. I do not recommend him.

I was fortunate that I skipped bracing at that age. I braced as an adult in my early 30's so know how difficult this can be. Age 11 is quite young to have to deal with this....so sorry you still have all these negative feelings to this day, assuming your 28 now. That was a little while ago....

Communication between surgeon and patients can be difficult at times. Let's face it, scoliosis isn't easy and communicating can be difficult. My talks leading up to my surgeries were not all peaches and cream, and it does take time to absorb all these things we have to deal with. It didn't mean he was a bad surgeon, and in the end, I picked him and it turned out fine.

Surgeons are trained as surgeons. Some might not be the best at bedside manner, or might have little patience. Even though he might have been a little short and raspy at that time, chances are he is probably a good surgeon. Perhaps not the best at bracing.... or unhappy that the bracing option wasn't going to work since you were not happy about it. In kids, bracing is an option, it's worth a try since repeated growing rod surgeries are tough things to have to deal with growing up with scoliosis. There are plenty of negative bracing threads and posts from years ago here and on the old British forum. Your not alone.

My goddaughter is an emergency room ped surgeon at St Louis Children's Hospital. The kids come in and she has a few minutes to keep someone alive and will go in if necessary. She is the type of surgeon who is going to be short and to the point. I wanted to give an example of different types of personalities of different types of doctors....She has lots of gunshot patients.

Many or most of the older members here have braced at some point. We try to forget these things as we get older....Its best to have a positive attitude moving forward. If at some point in time should you need scoliosis surgery, having a positive attitude will probably be the best thing a patient can have.

It would be nice if you introduce yourself and let us know where you are at with your scoliosis, if you are fused or unfused, how the pain is, how you handle it and so forth.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...