Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone fused in upper thorasic or cervial spine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fused in upper thorasic or cervial spine?

I have posted here before, so a quick review- Schuermann's kyphosis, Cottrell rods in 1989, fused T3-L2. My curve has moved up my spine. I saw Bridwell in 2008 (Dec.). He thought he could help stop it at least, and maybe do some correction. I found out right after my appt. that I have blood issues, including severe anemia, and they are still not solved. So, I know no surgery for now. However, I am wondering about those of you who have upper thorasic and/or cervical spine fusions. How much range of motion do you have? How much has it impacted your daily functioning? I am going for a second opinion locally on Wednesday and asking the same questions.

Thanks!

I am fused C4 to C6 and T3 to L4. I am to the point that I don't even try to see things that are behind me. That being said I can drive and look over my shoulders and use my mirrors a lot!!! But I have to do some turning by turning my hips in the direction I want to look over my shoulder. Hope this helps.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

My fusion is T3 - L2. Backing up a car is not my best skill. Like Patty said, ya gotta use those mirrors. My curve has worsened above my fusion in recent years, resulting in a loss of 2" in height. I've had those bad stiff necks mentioned a few posts down, but not in recent years. Maybe the incureased curve relieved that particular stress??
      1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Julie is right about backing up. My daughter and I would both like one of those backup cameras for our cars. When my daughter went to take her road test 18 months postop, she told the examiner that she couldn't twist around to backup but she used her mirrors. She was told she had to twist around or she would fail. So she twisted around quickly, then used her mirrors. She hit a cone, but they still passed her. She is a great driver now and usually pulls through parking places so she doesn't have to back up.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Rainbow, I'm curious why your daughter couldn't turn her head at 18 months post-op: There's a big difference in a cervical/high thoracic fusion and T7.

My fusion starts at T4, and I've never felt limited.

Did she have pre-op flexibility issues? Does she still?

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I'm curious about that too, Pam. BB4M-- My fusion is T2-L4. I am able to turn my head almost 90º to the right and the left, so that is pretty good (I think). I use mirrors for backing up, but sometimes also swivel my derriere if I'm in a tight spot, so that I can look over my shoulder too. I have noticed my higher fusion also limits my up and down motion a little. Not a biggie-- that means I can't quite drain the last drops of a can of pop or look straight up at the sky for more than a split second, etc. I don't know if that will help you any, since you are already fused from T3, so almost the same as me... I know there are some who have cervical fusions besides Patty, so hopefully you'll hear from them.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My fusion starts at T3, and I can also turn my head all the way to the right & left. If I need to see more behind me, I twist from the butt on my leather car seat with no problem.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

She could turn her head, but not twist her body enough to see to back up. She was very flexible preop but lost a lot postop. She is a dancer and can no longer do a lot of what she did before surgery. However, she does a great flatback for ballet!
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2010 View Post
                  She could turn her head, but not twist her body enough to see to back up. She was very flexible preop but lost a lot postop. She is a dancer and can no longer do a lot of what she did before surgery. However, she does a great flatback for ballet!
                  I have leather seats in my car, so it is easy for me to tur from my hips. Others have mentioned putting a plastic garbage bag on their seat to accomplish the same thing. Give it try--it takes some getting used to, but now, for me, it's old hat.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Folding sheets

The soda can comment reminded me to mention: I can't hold sheets under my chin to fold them. My husband does all the laundry these days; he folds them even less neatly than I do, but people don't go in my closets much, ya gotta let go of some things!
                    1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I'm fused from T1 down to L4. I have near enough full range of movement in my neck and am not restricted in any way. It sounds like I'm really fortunate - my thoracic fusion (all 12 vertebrae) was done when I was 10 and I've never ever had any problems or pain because of it.

Comment

That is good, Toni.

With my fusion starting at T4, I have absolutely no post-op range of motion restriction in my neck. If anything, it's improved since surgery because I'm not "self-limiting" to guard protruding cervical discs.

I'd estimate (from my verrrrry precise testing ... here on my couch ;-) I can turn about 140° or more to either side.

It's my understanding most head rotation around the vertical axis occurs in the cervical vertebrae, and primarily at the atlanto-occiptal joint (where C1/C2 meet the occiput).

A fusion to the 3rd or 4th thoracic vertebra shouldn't really affect turning the head side to side. I can, however, understand how it might affect flexion and extension of the neck.

This makes me wonder if what I'm hearing described here isn't more of a muscle or other soft tissue restriction ...
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                        X