No announcement yet.

Got my surgery dates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My PT put me on a TENS(though the 'script had to come from the Dr.), I initially got some relief while using it, but very soon after turning it off it was like it was never on. You should only use it a few x a day.I could set it for 1/2 hr.or and hour at a time. She told me to many times and the effect would lessen. I also could also adjust the pulse width and rate of stimulation and the strength.I have not used it since around Christmas because it just wasn't doing that much good for me. As so often said though, everyone is different and it may help you. At this point it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck.
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

yeah,
      The "Fellow" doc (not my Main Pain Doctor, the one that came in to observe) When he asked if we should try it I said I heard about it before. Then I told Him I read that once you turn it off the pain comes back,... He looked at me like I am stupid or something and said "then why don't you just leave it on as long as possible?"

What I want to know is how long is too long to keep it on? Does it get annoying. after a while, or is it un-noticeable?

Thanks for the input on this I finally am getting answers I am looking for. SORRY for dalmatica
      For piggy-backing on this thread to answer other questions too.

IF THERE are anything you think would help dalmatica
      POST IT, I am not trying to take away from their quest for information either.

Thanks dalmatica for allowing me to use this as a segway to get some un-answered questions of my own.

-- Kevin Oelrich

I have a picture of my Back under my profile, How do you get the link to show up under the posting each time you post to the threads?
      Kevin Oelrich
      Male, 24
      This is a picture of my Back I have already had 2 surgeries, But as you can see it has still progressed to over 100 degrees.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/...72af64.jpg?v=0

Comment

Originally posted by Koelrich
        Yeah MY POINT!!! I don't know why he tried the stupid Diazapam???? I took the Clonazepam last night and it took about 25 minutes and I started to feel "something" beginning but... It is nothing like the oxycodone or the other pain meds that I am taking.
        Yes, it's nothing like a narcotic pain med, but benzodiazepines are often used in conjunction with pain meds because getting the muscles to relax can help alleviate the pain. Unfortunately, some people do experience sleepiness with them, but that often goes away (or at least lessens) after a period of regular use. I'm currently on Valium (Diazepam), but just as a post op treatment. I regularly take Xanax (Alprazolam) for panic disorder, and even though they're both benzos, they don't have the same effect - at all.

...THIS STUPID CRAP that he keeps adding to the methadone and oxycodone treatment is pissing me off. Yes I slept pretty well actually. BUT I told him I was not looking for something to knock me out. He claimed "ohh NO" this is not like the diazepam, it wont do that. But the Pharmacist said now... this is going to make you drowsy it’s a muscle relaxed drug. SO I am going to keep taking this 2 times a day and see if (with an Open Mind) see if it will do what my doctor says it will do.
        I'm surprised he told you it wouldn't make you drowsy, but I also have no idea of the dosage. How many mg's of Diazepam were you on, and how many now of the Clonazepam? It seems in most people, the Clonazepam causes more sleepiness than Valium - and more often, it seems (even with continued use) the sleepiness from the Clonazepam doesn't resolve. (and again, I'm not a doctor, or anything close ... that's just what I've seen written over the years).

While writing this I just got a call back already (10:47am), (I sent a letter to the Saint Louis Doc last night ahead of my doctors referral, I couldn‘t wait for them to get someone around to do the letter writing) ...
        I know the last thing you feel like doing when you hurt is chasing down leads, but kudos to you for taking charge of your care that way. Just try to remember every single person you talk to (and yeah, it must be very frustrating explaining your situation from square 1 over and over ) exponentially increases your chance of crosssing paths with *someone* who may have info (or knows of someone to whom they can refer you) that can suggest an avenue for help.

That's fantastic St. Louis is willing to help you search. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

... yes Pam you are seemingly right, I am NOT going to find what I need in Iowa City.
        Kevin, I promise you, there is NO satisfaction in being "right" on that . Even though I knew UofI wasn't big on medical aspects (my ex-husband is actually an alum), I was genuinely shocked the entire state only had *one* SRS doctor listed.

... asked if the "TENS" unit would work. ... what is your opinions on this "shocking" device?.
        I was treated with a 4 pad/2 cycle (with multiple settings) TENS unit (an extremely nice one paid for in full by my insurance company) for about 6 months. They work very well on some people, but it didn't help at all in my case. I *think* I still have it around here somewhere. If they test the technology out on you ... IF it works ... IF I can actually find mine (I've moved a few times since I last saw it) ... IF it'll cost you anything to get your own, and/or IF this one is any better, you're welcome to it. The unit itself is quite small (about 2x the size of a deck of cards): It has a belt clip and takes a 9V battery (who'd think those lil' suckers could tweak you like this thing will!). I'm fairly certain I don't have any of the pads that go with it (they're a limited use item before you discard and replace) but I bet you can find them online.

It may be a moot point: Current technology could be much better, but something to keep in mind if it'll save you some $$$.

One additional thought - Are you keeping a notebook of questions/answers and organizations/names/dates of all the people you speak to? I often find it helpful to be able to plan the next step if I can refer back to what I've already tried. At the very least, it helps break a seemingly monumental task into manageable chunks.

Do you have a written history (aside from the volumes of medical records) of pertinent facts on your case? Perhaps it might be a bit less cumbersome to approach new doctors if you can fax or email them a synopsis of all current meds, current issues, what treatments have been tried, etc.

Hang in there ... remind yourself daily there's an answer out there somewhere - you just haven't found it *yet*.

Regards.
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I have a picture of my Back under my profile, How do you get the link to show up under the posting each time you post to the threads?
          Kevin,

You have to store the file on a server somewhere like photobucket, box.net, etc., and then you just include a link to the file in your sig.

I can PM youmore detailed instructions if you have any problems.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I have had my TENS unit for around seven years and I LOVE it!!! I don't know why a PT would tell someone to only use it for a 1/2 hour at a time. Never heard that. Mine is usually on for at least three hours at a stretch. It is the ONLY thing that can take the pain of muscle spasms away.

Thank you all for the info and please keep it coming!!! I'm so relieved to know that I am not the only one on Oxycodone. Krysi

Comment

There were some times that I did pop it back on right away. But there is a time set thingy inside for 30-60 min. I can also have 2-4 pads, adjusted seperately. It's quite nice, just doesn't seem to do much good right now. I still get the replacement pads through W/C , figure I'll keep them for future use if necessary. Just isn't very good for me right now. I never could seem to find the "right" spot for my right side, the left side when I could get it placed right was GREAT, though could put it there the next day and didn't do the trick...oh well. I'm glad it works for others.
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
              X