Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Height Discrepancy

Hi, I'm new here.

About two years ago, at 16, I was fused T3-L3, to correct 45*T, 70*T, and 60*L curves to 20*T, 35*T, and 30*L. Even before surgery I appeared straight. My shoulders were even and for the most part my waist was even. After surgery this alignment was maintained. I did, however, experience a lot of unexplained pain. As a last hope at resolving some of my upper back pain, a bracket was removed from the area of T5 in August 2007. From my understanding this bracket was there to help hold the rods in place while fusion was occurring. I was told that my fusion was solid. There were no structural changes during this surgery and the 3 week post-op x-ray looked identical to my previous x-rays (just without the bracket). In the past few weeks I have noticed that one of my shoulders is becoming significantly higher than the other. I have also been having more muscular pain in my upper back. I am assuming that the unevenness of the shoulders is due to a curve progression, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced curve progression after fusion without having significant hardware (rods and screws) removed?

Thanks for any comments.

Some people's curves continue to progress above or below the fusion after surgery. My daughter's doctor told us he could have fused her one lower but didn't so she could continue to dance. He said that her curve could continue to progress at that point. She has been very fortunate that it hasn't. There are many who have had to go back for extra fusion.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
    X