Looking for a second Dr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a second Dr.

Do any of you know of a really good scoliosis Dr. in Ohio, perhaps at the Cleveland Clinic? thanks!

Hi!

I just had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic on May 14th. My surgeon is Dr. Steinmetz. I like him and have faith in him (even though I'm going thru some post op problems right now). He seems to be a no-nonsense type of guy. Even though I'm 37 both of my parents insisted on meeting him prior to the surgery and grilling him with questions. They both were impressed.
    I believe Dr Steinmetz has a partner named Dr. Montgomery (who I like to call "Mr Alabama" since he's just so good-looking .
    The reason I mention Dr. Montgomery is that he visited me more often while I was in the hospital for 9 days and seemed to have a better bed-side manner. Not to mention his natural good looks.
    BUT, I respect Dr. Steinmetz and wasn't on drugs when I met him, LOL.
    When I had my surgery Dr Montgomery was in on the surgery as well.
    Please feel free to email me if you want to chat.

Lori
    37 yr old female
    5/14/07: Spinal fusion w/Titanium implants to correct 80 degree curves - T5 to L4
    7/30/07: Revision to remove screw from T12 that is abutting spinal cord

Comment

Thanks Lori!

Comment

Hi Dalmatica,

I am not usually on this section, but I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Robert McLain. Check him out if you have the opportunity. I just adore him!!!

He was straight forward, with compassion, and he has does one of these surgeries once a week as I can tell, and he is very maticulious. He was the only doctor that I had felt complete confidence in within 10 minutes of meeting him. And for me that is rare!!!

I never felt that comfort with any other doctor I had seen in the prior years.
        Give him a shot.

Shari

Comment

Dalmatica:
          I just re-read your post (2 months post-op),where your surgeon said he would have to "break your fusion" . The fusion is not solid for 6-12 months in younger people. More like 12 months in older patients. Other opinions might be the golden opportunity to solve the problem more easily.
          Just see someone with experience dealing with prior fusion attempts.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Went to Cleveland Clinic yesterday for my second opinion. My posture is now horribly bent to the right from my waist up. As the day progresses, so does my lean. I am also having intense sciatic pain that hasn't been there since pre-revision surgery.

Now here is first interesting tidbit: My husband and I have a lawyer since all this happened (rods breaking, surgeon doesn't know why, doesn't know why I lean, and I have a systemic infection since the surgeries in May that my PC cannot get rid of.) I had my first post-op visit in July where the did the usual x-rays, as always. Well last week I faxed down the release for the records and pictures of that visit and guess what?.... They is no radiology report, no x-rays. How convenient. So when I was seen yesterday, all they had to go on was my hand-carried surgical report. No film except one from about four years ago that I had here for my c-section.
            They of course had to take new film to see what is going on. Well here comes the second part of the story: The x-ray tech took the usual standing long films and then HAD ME LAY ON THE FLOOR TWICE TO TAKE TWO PICTURES because she said that if I was on the table, she couldn't get them all in. I asked her what happens if you get an elderly person in here and on the floor because I had a hard enough time getting up and she didn't answer me. I then had blood work done too.
            My question: Any of you ever had to lay on the floor of the hospital to get an x-ray?
            I am to call them later this week to find out what they have found. That kind if sucks too since we are about four hours away and will probably be going back out, but if they can make me feel better, then I will do whatever.

Comment

When I had my pre op x-rays (bending) they had me lay on the floor.
              Patty 51 years old
              Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
              Posterior T3- L4
              Pre surgery curves
              T-53degrees
              L-38degrees
              and a severe side shift to the right.
              Post surgery curves
              Less than 10 degrees
              Surgery April, 2006
              C4 - C6

Comment

Dalmatica:
                I've never had x-rays on the floor at HSS(Hospital for Special Surgery) even before my revision. I had standing x-rays with a long cassette--to get the whole spine at once. After surgery I had x-rays laying down--called oblique-half turned.
                In the future-pick up all your x-ray reports from the radiology dept as well as the films. You are entitled to them and keep them at home.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                X