Probabley a silly question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probabley a silly question...

This is probabley a silly question, but, how is it that people are having MRI's with all that hardware in their backs?

Hi...

The metal is protected by enough tissue that it doesn't really react to the powerful magnets. Although there's no danger of the magnets moving the implants, the implants can cause "artifacts" that make the MRI film difficult to read in the area of the implants.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My rod is steel and caused distortion, so they only did above it. I felt the vibrations a great deal when I had the MRI. I am very sensitive to any type of vibration (no loud stereos in my house)!
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Distortion in scans

I haven't had another MRI since my fusion in '93, but even on a CT scan my stainless steel hardware causes "scatter" (distortion).
        Jessica B.
        "Bionic Woman"

1990 - 1993 - Wore Boston Brace
        1991 - Post fossa decompression for Arnold Chiari Malformation
        1993 - Posterior spinal fusion T4 - L4 and thoracoplasty T6 - T10 on the right
        2007 - Lumbar laminectomy L4 - L5; L2 - iliac wing extension instrumentation and fusion

Comment

Hi,
          I've had two MRI scans since I've had most of my metalwork removed, but because there was a screw and hook that they can't remove they couldn't do my MRI as high up as they wanted to because it would interfere with the picture. I'm going for another MRI scan on Thursday, I'm not looking forward to it at all!

Comment

Working...
          X