Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone done a triathlon?

hi there.
    i posted a couple of weeks ago about exercise and pilates is a great idea.
    i'm wondering if anyone has done a triathlon or a tri relay (you and two friends split the work)
    i would love to do the swim part of a sprint tri relay which is a half mile in open water.
    i would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done this.

thanks to all of you.
    rem

No, but I've always dreamed of doing something like that. That would be fun and a true challenge!

Comment

Hi - I started trianing for my first triathlon last fall (Nov. 05) -- the event was in May. I did great -- except the swim was an open water swim (500m) & I freaked out and couldn't do it -- it had NOTHING to do with my scoliosis though. I had the surgery in '83 on my 13th birthday (harrington rods) and I have never had a problem with my back (I'm 35 now). I have always been very athletic: cheerleadering in highschool, aerobics, and now I play golf, bike, softball, volleyball & love to run. I also do lots of weight training & really focus on core & abs to keep my torso & back strong. BeginnerTri.com is a good website for first time triathletes. Go for it & Good Luck.

Comment

I have done 6 sprint distance triathlons, completed my first olympic distance on Memorial day, and am training for a marathon and a half iron man for next year. I have loved every minute of it, and have really no complications from my rods that make much of a difference. I am also into moutain biking, snow boarding and roller blading. Sometimes I have to do some things different because of my rods, but I have always been able to find a way to adapt.
        (ie I have to tilt my bike seat a little down so I can become more aero-dynamic without straining my unfused vertebraes). I also struggle with core strength, and am not sure if this is something due to genes or rods, cuz I was like that when I was little too. But I do struggle with doing crunches.
        I love to talk about this, so let me know if you have any questions!
        Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
        Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
        X