Infection forcing consideration of rod removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infection forcing consideration of rod removal

About two years ago I had corrective surgery as an adult (then aged 66) during which rods were placed from T4-S1 with pelvic fixation. A hardware associated infection was identified one year later and during the course of treatment a small portion of one rod was removed. For the 9 years that followed, all seemed to be going well.

A month ago a recurrent hardware associated infection became obvious (unresolved implant biofilm associated, presumably). My original Surgeon has retired and is not available for consultation. Consultation with a new-to-me, well respected spine surgeon has recommended removal of all hardware. His stated belief is that, noting that a CT shows (apparently) solid bone growth, replacement is not indicated and that I should anticipate spine changes (scoliosis relapse) or increased risk of catastrophic spine fracture during normal activities. Does this sound like a "reasonable" expectation?

Yes, that sounds reasonable, though you might want to get a second opinion just to put your mind at ease. Where do you live?
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Portland, Oregon.

Comment

Working...
      X