No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes he is my hero.Yes this surgery is painful but , at least. it is started .I will find out tomorrow if I can get to go to rehab . Wednesday at 9am ,my husband will be taking Jarret to the neurologist to get the results of the MRI. I will have Marc call me and put it on speaker phone so I can hear what the Dr says
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa,
      How sweet of Dr. B. to visit you! He obviously thinks a lot of you. I am sorry you are in pain, but hope that they can get the pain under control and you can start your recovery. We are all behind you and hoping that you improve quickly.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Melissa--
        I'm so glad you are done with the surgery. Mr. B. Is something else! Oh, I hope your pain is minimized and you will recover as quickly as is possible. Take care and rest! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Fingers crossed the MRI results are ok, and you can put your energy towards yourself and not worry.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Ditto what Jennifer said. Thinking of you!
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Well, we will finally find out tomorrow what the MRI shows. My husband is going either alone or with Jarret. Marc will put his phone on speakerphone so I can hear. Tomorrow, I will find out when I am going. Either home or rehab
              Melissa

Comment

• Well, my husband went this morning to meet up with Jarret's doctor. She told Marc that Jarret was fine. He did not have the brain tumor or encephalitis.She now wants Jarret to have a spine tap to see if he has spinal cord lesions. I told Marc that I was not going to subject Jarret to such a painful test.
                Melissa

Comment

• Thank goodness the MRI results were good. I wonder if she has any idea how unhelpful she was not giving you that news on the phone before your surgery.

How are you feeling Melissa?
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I'm sooo glad that the test results came back good news for your son! I can understand why you wouldn't want to subject him to the spinal tap procedure if he was that nervous for an MRI. However, if they really suspect something is going on, then they need to do the appropriate tests to find out what it is. Are they considering a Myelogram/CT? If so, can they sedate him for that? I don't see any reason why they couldn't sedate him other than him not being able to tell him if they are touching a nerve during the spinal tap portion of the procedure. Even if they did, I don't think it would leave any permanent damage, as this can be done under fluoroscopy now. It's up to you. You are his mom and I don't know how bad his symptoms are OR if what they are looking for next is even fixable. That's a hard call. I hope you are feeling better today and your pain is under control. Take care!
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa,

So glad the MRI came back normal. When you say they are wanting to check for lesions, are we talking MS lesions? If so, that can also be diagnosed with a full spinal MRI, which, while long and tedious, would not be painful.

Did you find out if you're going to PT?

Keep us posted. (BTW, I'm impressed that you have been posting so well already!)

Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Melissa--
                        Thank goodness it was OK! I guess you probably need a lot more info on spinal taps--I know I would. Hope you can breathe a sign of relief for now and concentrate on healing before you make any other decisions. Take care. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• So I will be going home today even though I cannot get out of bed by myself nor have the piece of equipment that the PT here in the hospital says that I need. So I will be going home tonight and staying home because I do not have the strength to get out of bed nor can I walk correctly.
                          BCBS does not care about my needs
                          Melissa

Comment

• well, unfortunately, it is nothing new that insurance companies do not care about their customers....

i am guessing you are home already....??
                            if not...
                            have you spoken to the hospital social worker to ask if she can do something to try
                            to intervene....?
                            is there a patient advocate at the hospital who might be able to help you....????

i am sorry you are being treated so poorly by insurance...but i am not surprised...
                            there still might be something someone could do to help get you what you need, even
                            if you were sent home already....
                            patient advocate might still be able to help you....

i hope you feel better
                            jess

Comment

• Has any one else have a problem starting with an old scar and itching? I have not had any problem but this week my scar has started to itch very much.
                              Has this happened to any one else?
                              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                                well, unfortunately, it is nothing new that insurance companies do not care about their customers....

i am guessing you are home already....??
                                if not...
                                have you spoken to the hospital social worker to ask if she can do something to try
                                to intervene....?
                                is there a patient advocate at the hospital who might be able to help you....????

i am sorry you are being treated so poorly by insurance...but i am not surprised...
                                there still might be something someone could do to help get you what you need, even
                                if you were sent home already....
                                patient advocate might still be able to help you....

i hope you feel better
                                jess
                                I am not home but BCBS will not let me go to rehab. I am going home tonight even though I do not feel comfortable doing that. I am supposed to use my repaired shoulder. I have found out why my shoulder was not fixed . They cleaned out bone spurs and debrided my shoulder.
                                Last edited by mabeckoff; 07-13-2012, 11:52 PM.
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X