September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Melissa,

It’s normal to be nervous especially when you’ve been through so much. I remember the advice you gave to Kara when she was nervous about her throat surgery (not sure which surgery it was) – stay busy. I remember thinking – what a good advice… Are there things to keep you occupied – may be doing something around the house or getting nails done, anything to take your mind away? Do you like to cook? May be make some fancy dinner if it’s physically possible? Best of luck to you on Monday. I will be thinking about you.

Irina.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
      Hi Melissa,

It’s normal to be nervous especially when you’ve been through so much. I remember the advice you gave to Kara when she was nervous about her throat surgery (not sure which surgery it was) – stay busy. I remember thinking – what a good advice… Are there things to keep you occupied – may be doing something around the house or getting nails done, anything to take your mind away? Do you like to cook? May be make some fancy dinner if it’s physically possible? Best of luck to you on Monday. I will be thinking about you.

Irina.
      Thanks for the advice. It is true.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa

Its going to be a piece of cake....I was there you know. You can do this.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Melissa--
          Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking positive thoughts and sending prayers your way. This will be one more thing to have behind you. Thank goodness. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Thanks all. I had emailed Dr Bederman that for some reason I am nervous. He just emailed me back that I am in the best of hands and it will be so easy compared to what I have been thru. I told him the while my mind understands those facts, my heart doesn't.

You guys here are the best. You keep on encouraging me to keep on going
            Melissa

Comment

• Thinking of you this Monday night. Stay strong, you will get through this and it will be so good to have your shoulder fixed.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• hey Melissa...hope all is going well and you are on the road to healing...

jess....& Sparky

Comment

• Pick your priorities and stick with it?! That makes it "sound" like pick yourself or your son. I will tell you that nothing is farther from the truth! By taking care of yourself you ARE taking care of your son! You can't take care of him if you aren't doing things to make yourself better. I hope your surgery went well today. I'm anxious to hear that both you and your son are okay. ((((HUGS))))
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• I hope you are resting comfortably now Melissa. We're all thinking of you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Hope your surgery was a complete success and as Debbei says, you're resting comfortably now. Thinking of you.

Comment

• Well, I made it thru yesterday. For some reason, this was the hardest recovery that I had. My blood pressure was very low all afternoon and no one could come up with a reason.I finally got into a room about 5pm. It was not a real room. It was an observation room and not very comfortable.It was very small and there was no place for Marc to spend the night. Well, guess who shows up ...Dr Bederman after he was done with surgery. He knows me and he could tell that I was not happy. He asked me what was wrong and I told him about the room and the fact that my shoulder surgeon had not been up to see me.He sorta indicated that this was his typical behavior. After we finished visiting , about 30 minutes, he left and by 8pm I was in a better room. I am still on IV meds because oral meds are doing nothing for me.I am in much pain, both my right shoulder , arm and hand as well as my left hip. So now my goal is to learn to walk holding the cane in my left hand and to get out of bed by myself
                        Thanks for everyone's good wishes
                        Melissa

Comment

• What a sweet guy your Dr. B is! How nice of him to check on you. I hope you're feeling better in no time.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Melissa,
                            I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I've heard from a couple of friends of mine who've had that surgery that it is very painful. I didn't want to scare you away from it, especially since I have NO idea how it compares painwise with scoliosis surgery. The fact of the matter is it's done now. Now you can heal and hopefully feel better. PT isn't going to be easy, but it's necessary that you follow through with it. They'll probably keep you on some stronger pain meds through your PT, at least they did my friends. I hope you feel better soon and are able to get some rest. Are they keeping you longer in the hospital since you are having trouble with pain management? It was so nice of Dr. B to "expedite" things for you and get you into a better room.

Take care,
                            Rohrer01
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa, so glad you are now on to the healing and rehab phase, that you
                              made it thru the surgery OK.,..
                              i hope the pain is short lived and that you heal well, and as quickly as is
                              possible...
                              i do not know doctors who would take the time to see a patient
                              they had not operated on, even in the same hospital...it is just
                              unusal for any medical personnel....what a special human being...

keeping you in thoughts and prayers for recovery and much needed relief from pain....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Dr. Bederman is my hero! For so many reasons. I'm almost tearful that he visited you after what must have been a long day, and helped put things right for you. What a man!

I know that surgery is very painful, and I hope they can get that pain under control quickly but it's over and you're on your way to a better life. Think about a future without that awful pain you were in, it will help get you through this. Things WILL get better.

Thinking of you and wishing you well, as always.

Comment

Working...
                                X