No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, you are fortunate to have found a great doctor to deal with such tough problems. It is encouraging to start to get some answers and a plan rather than just being in a painful limbo. I hope things are turning around for you! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
      Yes, you are fortunate to have found a great doctor to deal with such tough problems. It is encouraging to start to get some answers and a plan rather than just being in a painful limbo. I hope things are turning around for you! Janet
      I feel better just knowing I have a plan to follow. I do feel that things are turning around for me
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa,

What does Dr. B say about your spinal fusion? Can he tell if you're fused? You're still less than a year post-op from a major revision surgery. I continue to hold out hope that time will help reduce some of your pain!!!!

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          Melissa,

What does Dr. B say about your spinal fusion? Can he tell if you're fused? You're still less than a year post-op from a major revision surgery. I continue to hold out hope that time will help reduce some of your pain!!!!

Best,
          Evelyn
          Dr Bederman looked at my latest Xray and he feels that my fusion is strong enough that he prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug. I do believe that having my shoulder surgery will help. I think that I will need to have my right hip replaced. Dr Bederman feels that I should have it done sooner rather than waiting so I can be active again. Life is not bad right now. I do better having a plan

Thanks for the good wishes
          Melissa

Comment

• "Life is not bad right now. "

That's so good to read. I hope life keeps moving in the right direction for you.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              "Life is not bad right now. "

That's so good to read. I hope life keeps moving in the right direction for you.
              Thanks Jennifer
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa, I don't remember fully but aren't you fused to the sacrum?
                In terms of having a hip replacement, I read on another forum that that has to happen before your spine are fused to the sacrum. Here is what was written; "I know well from all my years on flatback related mailing lists and forums that if a patient needing revision and fusion to the sacrum - which my next surgery will inevitably be - also needs hip replacement in the forseeable future, they *have* to get the hip replaced first. This is because it inevitably changes the length of the leg, and if you are fused to the sacrum there is no way to compensate for this change in balance."

I don't know much about it but thought I should let you know as it could be a bad situation to be in if it fails. I would def. ask your doctor about it or even get a second opinion from someone else.
                2001:Compression fracture L1- leads to kyphosis in the area, sagittal balance problems

2005:Artificial disc protheses (L5/S1, L5/L4) Failes and creates a hyperlordosis in the lumbar, sagittal balance problem worsens.

2010:Revision surgery of ADR L4/L5 to fusion- too much of the lordosis is reduced, fused in a kyphosis. Hyperlordosis at L5S1 increases

Currently in severe pain and bedridden. Need a revision surgery of hyperlordosis at L5S1 and correction of sagittal balance, kyposis prob.

Comment

• Originally posted by lollyopop View Post
                  Melissa, I don't remember fully but aren't you fused to the sacrum?
                  In terms of having a hip replacement, I read on another forum that that has to happen before your spine are fused to the sacrum. Here is what was written; "I know well from all my years on flatback related mailing lists and forums that if a patient needing revision and fusion to the sacrum - which my next surgery will inevitably be - also needs hip replacement in the forseeable future, they *have* to get the hip replaced first. This is because it inevitably changes the length of the leg, and if you are fused to the sacrum there is no way to compensate for this change in balance."

I don't know much about it but thought I should let you know as it could be a bad situation to be in if it fails. I would def. ask your doctor about it or even get a second opinion from someone else.
                  I will ask my surgeon but he is the one pushing me to do it
                  Melissa

Comment

• melissa, if your surgeon doesn't do hip replacement, suggest consulting with a couple of
                    surgeon who do the procedure...
                    i knew someone at work who had hip replacement done, both sides, and she said it
                    changed the length of her legs...and she had to learn to walk again...

webmd has a section on back pain with a forum of sorts....with a lot of comments
                    from people with back pain....some with hip problems as well...

jess
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      melissa, if your surgeon doesn't do hip replacement, suggest consulting with a couple of
                      surgeon who do the procedure...
                      i knew someone at work who had hip replacement done, both sides, and she said it
                      changed the length of her legs...and she had to learn to walk again...

webmd has a section on back pain with a forum of sorts....with a lot of comments
                      from people with back pain....some with hip problems as well...

jess
                      My surgeon does not do hip replacements but at the hospital there is a surgeon that does do them.

I will look at webmd.Thanks
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        My surgeon does not do hip replacements but at the hospital there is a surgeon that does do them.

I will look at webmd.Thanks
                        I spoke with Dr Bederman and he said that he has never heard that
                        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by lollyopop View Post
                          Melissa, I don't remember fully but aren't you fused to the sacrum?

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. If a hip replacement changes the length of the leg, us old people would be hobbling all over the place. Knee surgeries used to make your leg longer, but hip and knee surgeries are much improved in this day and age.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                            That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. If a hip replacement changes the length of the leg, us old people would be hobbling all over the place. Knee surgeries used to make your leg longer, but hip and knee surgeries are much improved in this day and age.
                            Sally
                            That is what I thought. I had figured that Dr Bederman was not going to tell me to do something that would harm me
                            Melissa

Comment

• I've known quite a few people who have had fusion to the sacrum prior to hip replacement. Since the hip replacement doesn't actually change pelvic obliquity, I can't envision why it would matter whether it was done before or after fusion to the sacrum.

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                                I've known quite a few people who have had fusion to the sacrum prior to hip replacement. Since the hip replacement doesn't actually change pelvic obliquity, I can't envision why it would matter whether it was done before or after fusion to the sacrum.

--Linda
                                Thanks Linda. Besides Dr Bederman telling me to do it , I could not find anything that said it could not be done
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X