No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you trust the new PCP, I think you could go ahead and start taking the Abilify. But I would also proceed with seeing the psychiatrist. They are trained to manage all of the various meds and get you on the right antidepressant. They might even be able to reduce your total number of meds while simultaneously making you feel better.

Best,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your help. I just want to feel better. My right shoulder tear is causing me more pain and limiting my range of motion so I hope that the shoulder doctor that I will see next Thursday will help me
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I went walking yesterday with my husband and I overdid it. I wish I knew how to judge how much to walk
        Melissa

Comment

• In the next 4-6 weeks, I am seeing the shoulder surgeon, the fibro doctor ,pain management doctor ,the pain management doctor in Dr Bederman's office and of course, Dr Bederman. He and I finally agreed that my pain is fibro pain as I am too far out for it to be surgical pain. Hope I start to feel better.

PS> We have found a house and we are closing on March 8th. We will be in by the end of the March. Hooray!.
          Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa...

Glad to hear about the house. Hope that helps with the depression.

In terms of walking, you should start out slow, and build up gradually. Even really healthy people cannot go from doing nothing to overdoing it, so you shouldn't expect that with all of your issues.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Melissa--
              It sounds like you have a series of appts. that could be very helpful for you. And a big congratulations on the house! That's great. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• great news Melissa....
                congratulations....
                wish you happiness in new house!

jess

Comment

• Great news about the house. After the move, I hope being in you own home will help in more ways than one.

All those appts. are draining and stressful, but I feel improvements will come from them and the appts, plus being finally out of limbo and into your own home, will see things getting better for you Melissa.

Positive thoughts.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I do see a brighter future with these doctors and I still have Dr Bederman on board for my cheering section.
                    I will feel better in my own home with my own things .
                    Melissa

Comment

• Congrats on your new home - so happy for you! What w all the different doctors please be sure to use just one pharmacy so they know everything you're on, and get your pharmacist's ideas for relief as well. My mom impressed on me years ago that dr's are never going to be as knowledgeable re your meds as the pharmacists are, along w ensuring no reaction Btwn the meds.
                      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        I went walking yesterday with my husband and I overdid it. I wish I knew how to judge how much to walk
                        Hi Melissa,

Pick up a pedometer, start out slow (maybe 1/2 mile every day for a week), then increase to 1 mile/day the next week, etc. That's what I've been doing and am now walking over 2 miles a day. I eager to see Dr. Lenke this week and ask him when I can walk on hilly sidewalks. His nurse told me to stay off inclines for now so my 2 mile daily trek is quite boring in my house, but at least I'm getting it done.

I'm thrilled to hear you not only have a plan for your pain issues, but you have found a home! Continued prayers for you and your family, Melissa.

Warmly,
                        Doreen
                        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
                          Congrats on your new home - so happy for you! What w all the different doctors please be sure to use just one pharmacy so they know everything you're on, and get your pharmacist's ideas for relief as well. My mom impressed on me years ago that dr's are never going to be as knowledgeable re your meds as the pharmacists are, along w ensuring no reaction Btwn the meds.
                          I tend to agree. My friend has a pharmacist son and a doctor daughter and the doctor often asks for information from her brother and will concede to him in an argument about pharmaceuticals.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Yes, congrats on the home. Interest rates are SMOKIN low right now......that should help with the pain. (smiley face)
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Yes, congrats on the home. Interest rates are SMOKIN low right now......that should help with the pain. (smiley face)
                              Ed

Thanks Ed. Yes interest rates are low.This is our fourth home that we have purchased since 1989 and interest rates have never been this low.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
                                Congrats on your new home - so happy for you! What w all the different doctors please be sure to use just one pharmacy so they know everything you're on, and get your pharmacist's ideas for relief as well. My mom impressed on me years ago that dr's are never going to be as knowledgeable re your meds as the pharmacists are, along w ensuring no reaction Btwn the meds.
                                Yes I agree with always going to one pharmacy. It makes sense and is safer
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X