No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=rohrer01;135165]Melissa, I feel really bad for you right now.

Is there any way you can ask to get on a cancellation list for the fibromyalgia doctor?
    I am on the cancellation list for the fibro doctor.That is how I got from May until April

What ever happened with your shoulder, is that still bothersome, too?
    My shoulder still hurts. I am seeing the shoulder surgeon next Thursday

I'm assuming that you aren't getting the proper pain meds to manage your pain because you are still hurting so badly.
    I am not on any meds because they are doing nothing for me. Dr Bederman will not prescribe anything stronger than what I have because he is afraid that I will become addicted. He is sending me to a Pain Management Doctor
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• seems to be typical of surgeons that they are not comfortable
      prescribing pain medication beyond the very short term...
      i hope you get a good pain doctor...if you do, that would be the best
      thing Bederman could do in this situation...
      i hope you see someone really good!

jess

Comment

• Melissa,
        I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you can get into your pain doctor very soon. I couldn't imagine living in that much pain with no relief. Have you established a primary care physician, yet? I don't know what to say except I hope you can get in somewhere SOON.

Sincerely,
        Rohrer01
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          seems to be typical of surgeons that they are not comfortable
          prescribing pain medication beyond the very short term...
          i hope you get a good pain doctor...if you do, that would be the best
          thing Bederman could do in this situation...
          i hope you see someone really good!

jess
          I certainly hope so. I cannot go on this way
          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            Melissa,
            I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you can get into your pain doctor very soon. I couldn't imagine living in that much pain with no relief. Have you established a primary care physician, yet? I don't know what to say except I hope you can get in somewhere SOON.

Sincerely,
            Rohrer01
            I have a primary care doctor but he is so scared about prescribing anything. I am going to a new PCP on Friday
            Last edited by mabeckoff; 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM.
            Melissa

Comment

• Well, my daughter and David are gone . I cannot say that I miss them. She is not herself and I just can't stand to see her this way. He is just a horrible person
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
                I can't imagine going through all of this at the same time you have so many medical issues. I know it's nearly impossible but now that they are gone put all energy into you--resting & healing as much as possible. One of these days she will probably need you in good shape to get her through some inevitable problems. It may take a lot of time on both sides. A little story--An extended family member is making a horrible "girl" choice. His family and friends have all talked to him. As others have suggested, he only dug in his heels harder. They finally realized that and have all backed off the last few weeks. The hope is he will see the problem on his own. Who knows? The key is we can't make somebody change; we can only change our reaction to it. I know--words, words, words. Easy to say. Sorry--it's all I got! Hope you can at least get some good rest the next few days. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I have a appt with pain management doctor on 2/27. What drugs should I be talking with them about?
                  Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                    Melissa--
                    I can't imagine going through all of this at the same time you have so many medical issues. I know it's nearly impossible but now that they are gone put all energy into you--resting & healing as much as possible. One of these days she will probably need you in good shape to get her through some inevitable problems. It may take a lot of time on both sides. A little story--An extended family member is making a horrible "girl" choice. His family and friends have all talked to him. As others have suggested, he only dug in his heels harder. They finally realized that and have all backed off the last few weeks. The hope is he will see the problem on his own. Who knows? The key is we can't make somebody change; we can only change our reaction to it. I know--words, words, words. Easy to say. Sorry--it's all I got! Hope you can at least get some good rest the next few days. Janet
                    Thanks Janet. It is just that she is living with him and when she gets pregnant , then she will be tied to him forever.I just keep praying that she wakes up and comes home
                    Melissa

Comment

• I hope she comes to her senses! Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        I have a appt with pain management doctor on 2/27. What drugs should I be talking with them about?
                        Hi Melissa...

I'm really sorry that you've gone through all this and yet still are so miserable.

Be careful about going in to see a pain management doctor with a lot of preconceived notions. I would assume that these docs see a lot of addicts, and knowing too much going in might lead the doctor to an incorrect opinion. I've never been to a pain management doctor, but I'm guessing they know a lot about what sorts of options are available to you. They'll probably want to spend a lot of time getting a very complete history from you, so bring along records that could be helpful. Definitely bring a list of the medications that you've been taking. From what I've heard from others, it usually takes some trial and error to get things right, so don't expect miracles. You've been on a lot of different drugs for quite awhile. The perfect solution may not exist, but hopefully they can get you to a level that you can tolerate.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          Hi Melissa...

I'm really sorry that you've gone through all this and yet still are so miserable.

Be careful about going in to see a pain management doctor with a lot of preconceived notions. I would assume that these docs see a lot of addicts, and knowing too much going in might lead the doctor to an incorrect opinion. I've never been to a pain management doctor, but I'm guessing they know a lot about what sorts of options are available to you. They'll probably want to spend a lot of time getting a very complete history from you, so bring along records that could be helpful. Definitely bring a list of the medications that you've been taking. From what I've heard from others, it usually takes some trial and error to get things right, so don't expect miracles. You've been on a lot of different drugs for quite awhile. The perfect solution may not exist, but hopefully they can get you to a level that you can tolerate.

--Linda
                          Linda, I am seeing a pain management doctor at the UC at Irvine so they will have all my records so that will make it easier. Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,

I sure hope the pain management doctor can help. In the meantime, I really hope you will also see a new PCP or psychiatrist about antidepression medication. Anyone in your shoes having gone through what you've gone through medically would be depressed. They can help you deal with it. There is more than just Cymbalta. Better depression medication may help your pain somewhat, and conversely, if the pain management doctor can get you some pain relief, that may help you feel less depressed. Some of your comments make me really worried about you, and I want you to know that there are a lot of us out here routing for you!! If it all gets too overwhelming at any point, please, call a help line or just go to a hospital. You just need to manage through this really rough period, and then I'm sure things will start to look brighter!!! Sending cyber hugs your way.

Best,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              Thanks Janet. It is just that she is living with him and when she gets pregnant , then she will be tied to him forever.I just keep praying that she wakes up and comes home
                              There's worse things in the world than pregnancy. It may come to something that drastic to help her see that this isn't what she wants for her or her child. My daughter was in an abusive relationship and got pregnant. It was the trigger that got her out of that relationship. Because the father was abusive, he has no rights to the child, has never seen him in person, and is NOT involved in his life at all. I have a beautiful grandson to boot. Like I said, there could be worse things. Try not to fret. I know it's easier said than done. Many of us have been there with the family issues. I just hope you can focus on yourself a little bit right now and get your pain under control so you can get your life back. Yes, I will agree that pain can certainly trigger depression.

(((HUGS)))
                              Rohrer01
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                                There's worse things in the world than pregnancy. It may come to something that drastic to help her see that this isn't what she wants for her or her child. My daughter was in an abusive relationship and got pregnant. It was the trigger that got her out of that relationship. Because the father was abusive, he has no rights to the child, has never seen him in person, and is NOT involved in his life at all. I have a beautiful grandson to boot. Like I said, there could be worse things. Try not to fret. I know it's easier said than done. Many of us have been there with the family issues. I just hope you can focus on yourself a little bit right now and get your pain under control so you can get your life back. Yes, I will agree that pain can certainly trigger depression.

(((HUGS)))
                                Rohrer01
                                I realize that babies are not the worst that can happen. I just feel that she will not leave him if they have a child together
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X