• Show
Clear All

• Can a rod break since July? My pain is getting worse
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa
      I wore my sling for a day. Since my arm was not working for 8 months, I was used to tucking it tight against my body for protection. As long as you don’t get it caught on something, I guess your ok. I knew I wouldn’t let that happen since I was staying home laying low most of the time worried about fusing. I wanted to make sure I was fused first in case I had to do a revision on my spine. My mind was on my back, not my arm at that time.

Since my Dr wanted me in PT right away to keep my arm from freezing up, I kept moving it often.

I know how you feel with constantly being 6 weeks out....and the surgeries grow old. I felt that way myself. As far as moving goes, you shouldn’t be lifting anything. You need some young people to help out. Lifting and cleaning are not really part of scoliosis recovery. (smiley face)

I napped for 2 years. Yes, 2 years. And sure miss those days! Napping often is perfectly fine, its your body saying, “I need a break” mainly from healing which takes a lot of energy. Nutrition is important, so is walking.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
        So you are saying that you feel sleep needs increase or decrease at different times?
        I am no expert but I strongly feel that sleep is the best way your body can replenish, rest and heal. As for needing more or less sleep at different times, I think that's possible, for example when you're in a lot of pain, it may be hard to sleep, but I think your body likely needs sleep more at that time to heal. A good case for sleeping tablets to help get that needed sleep.

Get as much sleep as you can Melissa. It will also help with your anxiety and coping skills. I know in my case, everything's worse/more difficult when I don't get enough sleep. So if your body's demanding sleep, close the bedroom door, tuck yourself in and grab some zzzzs. As many as you can.

It's 6.15pm Christmas Eve here, so I want to wish everyone a relaxed and peaceful day tomorrow, especially you Melissa and others who are struggling so badly (Leanne, Kristy e.g.) and I hope 2012 brings you the healing that you so badly need. Happy Christmas all!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Melissa
          I wore my sling for a day. Since my arm was not working for 8 months, I was used to tucking it tight against my body for protection.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Ed
          Ed, My husband wore a sling for six weeks that kept his arm away from his body by about 2 or 3 inches, not tight against his body. I don't know the reasoning for that type of sling, but I have seen other people using that type. I don't know if it makes a difference.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            I am no expert but I strongly feel that sleep is the best way your body can replenish, rest and heal. As for needing more or less sleep at different times, I think that's possible, for example when you're in a lot of pain, it may be hard to sleep, but I think your body likely needs sleep more at that time to heal. A good case for sleeping tablets to help get that needed sleep.

Get as much sleep as you can Melissa. It will also help with your anxiety and coping skills. I know in my case, everything's worse/more difficult when I don't get enough sleep. So if your body's demanding sleep, close the bedroom door, tuck yourself in and grab some zzzzs. As many as you can.

It's 6.15pm Christmas Eve here, so I want to wish everyone a relaxed and peaceful day tomorrow, especially you Melissa and others who are struggling so badly (Leanne, Kristy e.g.) and I hope 2012 brings you the healing that you so badly need. Happy Christmas all!
            Thanks for the advice about sleeping. I need to take it and I will when I need it.

I want to wish you as well a wonderful Merry Christmas. I also want to wish Leanne and Kristy and everyone else who is having serious problems a day of hope
            tomorrow and that 2012 is a year of healing for anyone who needs it. My husband wanted to go to his niece's house tomorrow about 90 minutes away and I told him no. I cannot sit in the car that long
            Melissa

Comment

• Ed, How soon after your shoulder surgery were you able to use your arm/hand?
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa
                I was moving it pretty much on the second day with limited motion. At that point, I could lift my arm up on the desk to reach the mouse. They will repair it, and you will notice that it will now work, but it will be a little sore and takes PT to get the stretching and range of motion. No weights at all for about 6 weeks, then started with 1# and worked up.

Raising the arm above your head will take some time. You will practice “walking the wall” using your fingers walking up higher and higher. The arm is tight when you elevate it, and you will slowly have to stretch this out. That takes months.

Having my shoulder repaired really made me feel better. The PT involved at 8 months made me feel better, AND was highly beneficial for my spine. I could feel it. The arms and the legs really do connect to the back! The arm bike was great. You can feel the paraspinal’s building up again.

They make about 4 or 5 slits in your shoulder, those cuts don’t hurt at all. After scoli surgery, it’s a walk in the park.

Sally
                I don’t know why they have those slings, but since freezing up is a factor, the slings are used for protection, so the arm doesn’t get caught on something. They were rotating and stretching my arm on the 3rd day.

Recovery after so many surgeries takes time. You set realistic goals, move slowly, and accept the little improvements as they come. Patience is taught the hard way, being depressed can be a battle but always remember that you are going to improve. I was depressed with my skiing since my standards were too high. It was over a year before all those skiing soft tissues built up again.

Merry Christmas
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• [QUOTE=titaniumed;131792]Melissa

They make about 4 or 5 slits in your shoulder, those cuts don’t hurt at all. After scoli surgery, it’s a walk in the park.

I am not concerned about the shoulder surgery itself. It is the recovery time that I am thinking about

Recovery after so many surgeries takes time. You set realistic goals, move slowly, and accept the little improvements as they come. Patience is taught the hard way, being depressed can be a battle but always remember that you are going to improve. I was depressed with my skiing since my standards were too high. It was over a year before all those skiing soft tissues built up again.

Well, I guess , I will have to learn patience whether I want to or not. I will learn that things are going to happen slowly
                  Melissa

Comment

• Merry Christmas to all who celebrate

I woke up this morning with a neck that i so sore that I cannot move it at all

I wonder what that is all about
                    Melissa

Comment

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate

I woke up this morning with a neck that i so sore that I cannot move it at all

I wonder what that is all about
                      Melissa,
                      I've been praying for you and now you have a stiff neck. So far, my praying hasn't been effective. My guess is the stress of all your pain and the fact that it is Christmas, your muscles in your neck have tightened up. That happened to me last spring when we flew up North for my appointment with Dr. Rand. I iced it and slowly it started to get better. I even had numbness and tingling up the back of my head for several days. I hope it resolves itself very soon and you can start to feel better. Merry Christmas to you.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• I am started getting these intense muscle spasms. My entire back is involved.

Anybody else get these?
                        Melissa

Comment

I am started getting these intense muscle spasms. My entire back is involved.

Anybody else get these?
                          Oh yes, I've had lots, especially in the beginning. Heat helped somewhat, and when it got really bad I'd have to take muscle relaxants.

Is it feeling any better this morning?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My husband wanted to go to his niece's house tomorrow about 90 minutes away and I told him no. I cannot sit in the car that long
                            About how long does it take before riding in a car is no longer painful? We ventured out to look at Christmas lights and about 30 min into the ride I was in a lot of pain despite having a lot of pillows around me.

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                              About how long does it take before riding in a car is no longer painful? We ventured out to look at Christmas lights and about 30 min into the ride I was in a lot of pain despite having a lot of pillows around me.

Warmly,
                              Doreen
                              Hi Doreen....

Riding in the car without a lot of discomfort, was the last thing I got back. I think I was probably about 6 or 7 months postop when I finally discovered one day, that it was no longer a problem.

Regards,
                              Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Sounds like you're getting the dreaded muscle spasms, Melissa. Debbei is the expert on those. I hope you have some Valium or similar at home.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X