September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa,
    I am hoping and wishing and praying that you will start feeling better very soon.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• hi Melissa
      i can understand reluctance and the desire of the doc for you to see an expert to prescribe more meds...
      Cymbalta is used to treat depression and generatlized anxiety disorder (GAD), as well as body aches...
      the doctor is probably worried about interaction wtih that and with the Lyrica, which i guess they have given you for the fibromyalgia...
      drug interactions can be dangerous, so the more the doc knows about these meds, like a psychiatrist, the
      better...
      the holidays are a top depression cause for those who didnt have surgery, so i am sure it is worse
      for anyone who did have surgery...combine that with how many surgeries you've been trhu, the family issues.
      the shortened days of winter, the problems with your arm, plus being in a new place, and it would surprise me
      if all of that didn't cause more derpression in you...
      but understanding why it is happening doesn't help it get better, so i hope they can refer you to a
      doctor who is good at prescribing meds really soon...
      chemical reactions, once they get started in the brain, are hard to stop, and meds are a blessing for that....

i hope you get some relief soon....i would expect that the OT has long term good effects but short term
      that it cause more pain...

i am so sorry you ahve been thru so much suffering!
      best wishes for better days....

jess

Comment

• Thanks Jess and Sally. Just hearing from friends here on the forum makes me feel better. When I log on and see that I have a response or two, I feel better
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Well, I really over did it yesterday. Way too much walking and I am paying for it today. We went out to see Christmas lights and just kept walking.

Also, the last several week or so I have been waking up with a severe headache and neck pain. Some days the pain is so bad that I cannot lift my head up. My
          surgeon does not feel that it is related to my surgery.Any ideas?

Thanks

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

• It's hard to know. Have you tried changing your pillow? Is your GP keeping an eye on your blood pressure? Does the headache ease as the day goes by?

It's good that you're able to walk so far even if you overdid it. From my own experience, I can't think of anything better than walking, to get you back to feeling normal, and to promote healing. Shame it's a two steps forward, one backwards progression!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I am seeing my GP tomorrow. My pillow is the same one that I have been using for quite some time. Dr Bederman said that he feels that the pain is due to lack of muscular strength. He feels that it should go away when my neck muscles get stronger. It seems like it is always something with me. Nothing goes easy for me.
              Melissa

Comment

• pillow?

so sorry to hear about your continued pain, I am watching a lot of TV a I recover, and I am thinking about that SObakawa pillow-it supports your head? doesn't crush the eggs.... but then why does every product look good at 2AM? Oh well, hoping you will get restorative rest soon. sending prayers, Jamie in Texas
                57 years old.
                thoracic curve 68 degrees
                lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
                  so sorry to hear about your continued pain, I am watching a lot of TV a I recover, and I am thinking about that SObakawa pillow-it supports your head? doesn't crush the eggs.... but then why does every product look good at 2AM? Oh well, hoping you will get restorative rest soon. sending prayers, Jamie in Texas
                  Thanks Jamie for the prayers
                  Melissa

Comment

• I am off this morning to have my MRI done. Hopefully,it will show why my right shoulder hurts.
                    Melissa

Comment

• Any results yet Melissa?

Comment

• Nothing yet. Hopefully, I should hear by tomorrow or maybe tonight
                        Melissa

Comment

• Hopefully it's something simple Melissa. I can't remember if I told you--after my surgery I had horrible right shoulder pain that got progressively worse. I ended up going to a shoulder ortho and found that I had a frozen shoulder. PT took care if it within a few months. They also told me that frozen shoulders are common among people who have recently had upper back or chest surgeries. I think it must be from having you positioned the same way for hours.

Let us know what the MRI shows.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Mri

Well, the MRI shows that I have a partly torn rototor cuff and lots of degenerative changes, similar to what was going on with my spine. Dr Bederman is sending on to the surgeon in his office who deals with these conditions

Thanks everyone for caring
                            Melissa

Comment

• No wonder it hurt. I hope this can be repaired. Is it the same side as your problem arm? Are you getting any improvements with your arm?

Any improvements with general well-being? Are you able to walk each day?

Comment

• Well, it is supposed to be a simple surgery but the recovery is not easy. But I cannot live with the pain that I have.

Thanks for asking
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X