No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa, I am so sorry you have to have another surgery. It sounds very much like what I had to have done a year and a half ago. I was home in four days and recovered very quickly. I hope the same for you and that you will finally be pain free.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• ;-)

Prayers for you Melissa...I've been lurking on your thread for awhile but wanted to pop in to let you know how
      brave and inspirational I think you are. I truly hope this next surgery will offer the answers you seek and that
      you will finally be on the road to recovery.
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• Prayers for you my dear~~!

So this will be your sixth surgery? Is that what you were trying to tell us? Because I thought for a minute you meant you had to start all over again. But in reality, the surgeon is going to try to free the nerves from the bone spurs? Right? Which hopefully won't be too invasive.
        I am sending you Best wishes for a good turn out. And I pray that you will get through this easy, with a great outcome! You are receiving a "Soft Gentle Hug" from me~~~ (pain wears out our spirit) darn! Keep us informed on how you are doing. boomer
        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
        This started adult onset scoliosis
        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision
        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
          So this will be your sixth surgery? Is that what you were trying to tell us? Because I thought for a minute you meant you had to start all over again. But in reality, the surgeon is going to try to free the nerves from the bone spurs? Right? Which hopefully won't be too invasive.
          I am sending you Best wishes for a good turn out. And I pray that you will get through this easy, with a great outcome! You are receiving a "Soft Gentle Hug" from me~~~ (pain wears out our spirit) darn! Keep us informed on how you are doing. boomer
          Yes this will be my sixth surgery. Dr Bederman is going to try to free the nerves from the bone spurs. I will be having a mylegram before the surgery to give him
          more information

I am so tired of being in pain but I really feel that this surgery will help me
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by Elisa View Post
            Oh no! That is an awful lot of surgeries Melissa and I feel for you. What exactly is the plan this time and what do you mean the problem last time was that you didn't go to rehab... how does that relate to bone spurs?

I am sorry that I did not explain this fully. I meant that by not going to rehab in September, I came home and was a lump.If I had gone to rehab, I would not have been allowed to become a lump. Then I would not be in so much pain now .The only thing that the September surgery did was , most likely, either irritate the
            nerve or move the nerve closer to the bone spur
            Melissa

Comment

• hi melissa
              i am so sorry that you need more surgery...yet again!!
              but i was really SHOCKED that you did not go to rehab last time when
              you had the chance!! i think it i so vitally important to have people
              around who will practically force you to get out of bed when required
              despite objections from the patient!! it feels good to be home, but that
              won't get you up and moving!
              if it were me, i would need those rehab staff to drag me out of bed to
              get moving...after surgery, i just want to lay in bed and rest...forever!
              so i think going to rehab can be really essential to the patient's recovery!

best of luck
              jess

Comment

• Hi Melissa. I am pleased in one respect: Dr. Bederman can clearly see on the ct scan that the nerve is too close to the bone spurs. This sounds fairly straight forward. He's not going in blind, he knows what to look for, and fix. I have great hope that this will be your last surgery and very soon you really WILL be on the road to recovery. Heaven knows you deserve it. Good luck!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  hi melissa
                  i am so sorry that you need more surgery...yet again!!
                  but i was really SHOCKED that you did not go to rehab last time when
                  you had the chance!! i think it i so vitally important to have people
                  around who will practically force you to get out of bed when required
                  despite objections from the patient!! it feels good to be home, but that
                  won't get you up and moving!
                  if it were me, i would need those rehab staff to drag me out of bed to
                  get moving...after surgery, i just want to lay in bed and rest...forever!
                  so i think going to rehab can be really essential to the patient's recovery!

best of luck
                  jess
                  I know that now. After my September surgery, I was in so much pain that I just went home and did nothing. I should have gone to rehab and that is what I am doing this time
                  Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    Hi Melissa. I am pleased in one respect: Dr. Bederman can clearly see on the ct scan that the nerve is too close to the bone spurs. This sounds fairly straight forward. He's not going in blind, he knows what to look for, and fix. I have great hope that this will be your last surgery and very soon you really WILL be on the road to recovery. Heaven knows you deserve it. Good luck!
                    Yesterday when we looked at the CTScan, even I could see the bone spur touching the nerve and with the mylegram, it will show Dr Bederman in more detail what is going on
                    Melissa

Comment

• I had to look up 'bone spurs' b/c I had no idea what they were. Perhaps a dumb question: Can't surgeons see bone spurs when they have you opened up, and can they not file/snip or whatever they do with them at that time, so they don't interfere with nerves?
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                        I had to look up 'bone spurs' b/c I had no idea what they were. Perhaps a dumb question: Can't surgeons see bone spurs when they have you opened up, and can they not file/snip or whatever they do with them at that time, so they don't interfere with nerves?
                        I have many bone spurs that do not interfere with anything so they do not need to have anything done to them. The one on the left side most likely was pushed
                        closer to the bone spur during my September 9th surgery when Dr Bederman went in thru my front
                        Melissa

Comment

• dear Melissa
                          so sorry you have yet another surgery to go thru...hope it is relatively minor compared to what you have already endured...
                          please go to rehab and let the people there push you out of bed when it is required and let them take care
                          of you...that is what they are paid to do!

PLEASE...take your time after the myleogram...the only reason i never got the dreaded headache after
                          i had a myleo was because i was so scared of the headache, i stayed laying down beyond even
                          the time they ordered me to do so....
                          please be really careful...you do not need to suffer one of those awful headaches on top of your other pain!!

thoughts and prayers to you...
                          jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            dear Melissa
                            so sorry you have yet another surgery to go thru...hope it is relatively minor compared to what you have already endured...
                            please go to rehab and let the people there push you out of bed when it is required and let them take care
                            of you...that is what they are paid to do!

PLEASE...take your time after the myleogram...the only reason i never got the dreaded headache after
                            i had a myleo was because i was so scared of the headache, i stayed laying down beyond even
                            the time they ordered me to do so....
                            please be really careful...you do not need to suffer one of those awful headaches on top of your other pain!!

thoughts and prayers to you...
                            jess
                            Thanks for the advice and your caring and concern for me
                            Melissa

Comment

• Melissa

You poor thing. I cant believe it....

Will this be from the back or the front? Will this be a quick surgery?

I guess I cant blame you, I would do the same thing. Be sure to let us know when this will happen.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                                Melissa

You poor thing. I cant believe it....

Will this be from the back or the front? Will this be a quick surgery?

I guess I cant blame you, I would do the same thing. Be sure to let us know when this will happen.

Ed
                                This will be from the back.Just a couple of hours in surgery. I will be in the hospital a few days but then I am going to rehab for about 10 days. I am having my
                                surgery November 8th. I feel that I really do not have any choice. I can see the bone spur pressing on my nerve and just wishing it away is not going to do
                                anything.

Everyone thanks for the good wishes
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X