Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi Melissa
    i am so sorry that you are still feeling miserable, and not getting sleep
    is just making everything worse i am sure....
    i hope the relief from epidural kicks in...sometimes it can take a week...
    but i know you need some kind of relief now....something to get your
    spirits up and lessen the constant pain!
    i am hoping you do not need any more surgery...i think your poor body needs to
    rest...it is like you have been beaten up....surgically...

thoughts and prayers head your way for healing to happen soon

jess

Comment

• Do you have a recliner you can try to sleep in Melissa? I'm sorry you're not getting any sleep because that makes everything worse, I believe, the pain as well as how you're feeling generally.

As for another surgery, at least this time, you know it's a known problem that can be fixed. With the pain you're in, I would imagine the thought of releasing that nerve, will push you onwards. It sounds like a fairly small surgery. But 6 surgeries in 18 months...it really has been a nightmare for you. I am confident that you will get there though, and one day in the not too distant future, you'll say it was worth it to be "fixed!"
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Thanks everyone for their good wishes. Today has passed in a blur of pain and fatigue. I hope that I can sleep tonight
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Well, I did sleep for a couple of hours last night. Now, I feel so sore all over like I had been in a car accident.
          Melissa

Comment

• I remember that feeling. In hospital they'd ask where it was hurting. I'd say, "Everywhere." It was. From my head to my feet. I think pain spreads from the original offending spot, especially when stressed, tired or like you, have been in pain for a long time. Hang in there Melissa. Dr. Bederman will see you through this.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              I remember that feeling. In hospital they'd ask where it was hurting. I'd say, "Everywhere." It was. From my head to my feet. I think pain spreads from the original offending spot, especially when stressed, tired or like you, have been in pain for a long time. Hang in there Melissa. Dr. Bederman will see you through this.
              I am going to try to make my first water therapy tomorrow Friday morning. I hope it doesn't make me feel worse. I am seeing Dr Bederman on Wednesday.
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa

Are you sleeping on some thick foam? It was a big improvement for me.

The water therapy should be in warm water, a relaxing thing..... not a workout. Just a little bit of walking, stay on the side of the pool and hang on the side. Just standing in one spot is ok, try to relax, give the nerves a break.

I still like hot 106 degree water for pain. With all the posters here, I think Debbe was the only one besides myself that used her hot tub in her recovery. I used my tub in my home, it is deep and wide, and used no circulation. I also have a full sized hot tub, but didn’t use it as I was afraid of falling.

Keep a towel close so you don’t get chilled when you get out.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Melissa

The water therapy should be in warm water, a relaxing thing..... not a workout. Just a little bit of walking, stay on the side of the pool and hang on the side. Just standing in one spot is ok, try to relax, give the nerves a break.

I still like hot 106 degree water for pain. With all the posters here, I think Debbe was the only one besides myself that used her hot tub in her recovery. I used my tub in my home, it is deep and wide, and used no circulation. I also have a full sized hot tub, but didn’t use it as I was afraid of falling.

Ed
                  I 100% agree with the recommendation for memory foam on the bed. If I go to a hotel now, or stay overnight at someone else's house, I (or rather my back) really REALLY misses my foam!

The hottub was (and still is) heaven on my back. Ed, I could put my jets on the 'low' setting, but not the high. For me, getting in a cold or even cool pool does more harm than good (even now). It sends me into spasms.

I hope you're feeling a little better Melissa.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Well, I am off to water therapy . Hope it helps and not hurts
                    Melissa

Comment

• The water therapy was very nice. I just hope that I did not over do it . I will see tomorrow

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
                        I 100% agree with the recommendation for memory foam on the bed. If I go to a hotel now, or stay overnight at someone else's house, I (or rather my back) really REALLY misses my foam!

The hottub was (and still is) heaven on my back. Ed, I could put my jets on the 'low' setting, but not the high. For me, getting in a cold or even cool pool does more harm than good (even now). It sends me into spasms.

I hope you're feeling a little better Melissa.
                        I had a 4 inch memory foam on my bed but could not sleep on it when I came home from the hospital the last time. I now have a hospital bed which really helps
                        my neck get at the correct angle but my back hurts on the bed alot. I really do not know what to do. I am just tired of being in pain
                        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          Melissa

Ed
                          The pool was great . The warm water felt really nice on my back.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Well, I made it thru the day but I am in some much pain that I can hardly stand it. I wish I knew what was wrong
                            Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              Well, I made it thru the day but I am in some much pain that I can hardly stand it. I wish I knew what was wrong
                              Are you still sore all over as opposed to just your spine/back?

I would be asking the surgeon about any/all cases that are as similar to yours as possible to find out the limits here. Can they rule out regional pain syndrome or whatever that is? There is a young woman on the UK site who I think was diagnosed with that. She is looking at her third surgery and has gone through several diagnoses as to what is causing her pain including this regional thing.

Hang in there, Melissa. :-)
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                                Are you still sore all over as opposed to just your spine/back?

I would be asking the surgeon about any/all cases that are as similar to yours as possible to find out the limits here. Can they rule out regional pain syndrome or whatever that is? There is a young woman on the UK site who I think was diagnosed with that. She is looking at her third surgery and has gone through several diagnoses as to what is causing her pain including this regional thing.

Hang in there, Melissa. :-)
                                I feel sore all over again. This morning I felt so good when I left the pool but by mid afternoon I felt terrible
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X