No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful news Melissa! We have three delightful little granddaughters, and they're the light of our lives.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Congratulations on having a granddaughter, born yet or not! Is your daughter at home with you or close by? That would be really nice for you both if she is.

HUGS!

She left her abusive boyfriend in NC and is now living with us here in CA.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Broken Rod

I was at Dr Bederman yesterday for my follow up from my June surgery . We were looking at my Xrays and he said it looks as if you have a broken rod. Yes I do.

I am still having my right hip replaced next Thursday and Dr Bederman's partner is going to try to fix the broken rod with doing something with my SI joint. He feels that my not allowing my SI joint to move then the bone around the rod will fuse. I really do not understand , but I trust Dr Bederman. He feels that with this procedure there is a 75% chance that I will not have to have the rod replaced.

Life is so much fun for me

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts
        Melissa

Comment

• hi Melissa
          i hope the hip surgery goes smoothly and that it is the last you will need...

i sent you a private message...

take care...
          jess...and Sparky

Comment

• I'm so sorry Melissa! It must seem like two steps forward, one back. Is this SI joint procedure going to be done during your hip surgery? Or separately?

Comment

• So sorry, Melissa. And I'm wondering the same thing Jennifer is... Am praying it all works out so this will take care of it all.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                hi Melissa
                i hope the hip surgery goes smoothly and that it is the last you will need...

i sent you a private message...

take care...
                jess...and Sparky
                Thanks Jess and Sparky

I will need my left hip as well. If this rod is not fixed by this SI surgery, I will have to have more back surgery.
                Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  I'm so sorry Melissa! It must seem like two steps forward, one back. Is this SI joint procedure going to be done during your hip surgery? Or separately?
                  One of the procedures will be done first and then I will be moved to another operating room to have the other one done.

The total operating time will be about 3 hours then instead of 90 minutes for my hip surgery

If this works then I will have avoided another invasive surgery

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• Oh I hope so! Have you been getting pain in the area of the broken rod? I guess you must have been. Did you suspect a broken rod?

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                      Oh I hope so! Have you been getting pain in the area of the broken rod? I guess you must have been. Did you suspect a broken rod?
                      No I really did not suspect a broken rod. I am always in pain
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        I was at Dr Bederman yesterday for my follow up from my June surgery . We were looking at my Xrays and he said it looks as if you have a broken rod. Yes I do.

I am still having my right hip replaced next Thursday and Dr Bederman's partner is going to try to fix the broken rod with doing something with my SI joint. He feels that my not allowing my SI joint to move then the bone around the rod will fuse. I really do not understand , but I trust Dr Bederman. He feels that with this procedure there is a 75% chance that I will not have to have the rod replaced.

Life is so much fun for me

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts
                        Poor, Melissa!
                        Wow, you've had enough surgery for 10 people! I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. I hope the dual surgery doesn't make it more difficult to recover from the hip replacement. But, if I had the option, I'd probably opt to get it all done at once, too, just so I didn't have to go back into the hospital AGAIN.

Your life WILL be FUN when that granddaughter of yours arrives! There's nothing sweeter than holding your grandchild! It will take your mind off of all this, at least temporarily. Helping your daughter through a pregnancy and delivery is SO SWEET! I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to "share" in it with my daughter. I hope she lets you in the delivery room. It's amazing when you're not on the pain end of it (sad to see your daughter in pain - but it's like a rite of passage). Try to enjoy THIS time in your life the best you can despite your surgeries. It will help you through!

((((HUGS))))
                        Be happy!
                        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                          Poor, Melissa!
                          Wow, you've had enough surgery for 10 people! I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. I hope the dual surgery doesn't make it more difficult to recover from the hip replacement. But, if I had the option, I'd probably opt to get it all done at once, too, just so I didn't have to go back into the hospital AGAIN.

Your life WILL be FUN when that granddaughter of yours arrives! There's nothing sweeter than holding your grandchild! It will take your mind off of all this, at least temporarily. Helping your daughter through a pregnancy and delivery is SO SWEET! I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to "share" in it with my daughter. I hope she lets you in the delivery room. It's amazing when you're not on the pain end of it (sad to see your daughter in pain - but it's like a rite of passage). Try to enjoy THIS time in your life the best you can despite your surgeries. It will help you through!

((((HUGS))))
                          Oh I will be in the delivery room. I am her birth partner. There is no one else that she would allow in the delivery room. I am going to be with her from the beginning to the end. It is so exciting.

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                            What else can go wrong. I certainly hope and pray that both surgeries will go well with one incision and one recovery. Keep up the faith.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Thank you everyone for all of your good wishes and prayers

Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• I am off to have my 2 surgeries tomorrow. Please pray for me. I am not in a good place right now. First, my friend who is the best witness in the case of my brother suing me will not be able to come to the trial. She has made non-refundable vacation plans and secondly, my son starts school tomorrow with a schedule that is all messed up and the school states that until September 3rd they will not fix it

Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X