September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa,
    You've had so many difficult surgeries with your back, this should be a walk in the park in comparison. I'm not saying hip surgery is easy. But for those that have it that have not experienced the surgical pain that you have, I'm sure it's much tougher. For you, because of what you've already been through, it'll be much easier.

I certainly hope the surgery goes well. It was a real life saver for my one friend as far as pain reduction. Keep chipping away at what hurts and you'll eventually feel good. Are you scheduled for the 3rd?

Didn't Sally just have her hip done? You two can compare notes and support each other.

Hugs!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Melissa,
      You've had so many difficult surgeries with your back, this should be a walk in the park in comparison. I'm not saying hip surgery is easy. But for those that have it that have not experienced the surgical pain that you have, I'm sure it's much tougher. For you, because of what you've already been through, it'll be much easier.

I certainly hope the surgery goes well. It was a real life saver for my one friend as far as pain reduction. Keep chipping away at what hurts and you'll eventually feel good. Are you scheduled for the 3rd?

Didn't Sally just have her hip done? You two can compare notes and support each other.

Hugs!
      His surgical nurse will call me to set up a date. He operates Tuesdays and Fridays. I do not want surgery on a friday.

I hope that Sally is ok

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• How are you doing Melissa? Do take care of yourself--these surgeries are so close to one another--please take care
        Jackie
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

• I went to UCI yesterday.I had an endoscopy which showed that my ulcer is healed. That is good news except I still have stomach pain. He gave me a acid reducer . He said to try it for 2 months and then see . I then went to see Dr Bederman. I found out why I was so sick after my last surgery. They gave me
          ketamine. He said that it reduces pain after surgery, which lowers the amount of narcotics needed.He said that I should say that I am allergic to ketamine in the future when having surgery. He , also, wants me to wait to have more surgery until the end of August instead of the beginning of the month. He, also, told me to stop wearing my brace. I figured that he would do that . We agreed that I will stop wearing it at home but I can still wear it out of the house. I have 4 weeks to wean it off totally.

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa-- those all sound like pretty good reports except for still having the stomach pain. Hopefully the acid reducer will help. It's good to know the cause of feeling so ill after your last surgery. My surgeon also had me take a month to wean off my brace. We reduced the amount of wearing it each day (4 hours on, 2 off, sort of) on a weekly basis till I was down to nothing on the 5th week. It's funny how tired my back was at first, but then it was ok. (smile) Sending hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Hi! I caught up with what you are doing in reading your recent posts. It does take a while for the acid reducers to work. Some people with acid problems have gastritis and that just takes time.

I think of you often and feel that you are finally on the upturn in life....probably not as fast as you want to, but you are on your way.

You are a very strong woman and I know that things will improve.

Hugs, Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your good wishes. It does feel great to be on the upswing after such a long while of being the other way
                Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa--how is your neck feeling now. Did the surgery help the issues? Is it much better now? I really hope so for all of your pain.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

• hi Melissa
                    i hope your stomach issues resolve soon...
                    sorry you are not feeling so great...

wow...ketamine...didn't realize they are still using that stuff medically...
                    it is the same stuff that the street drug "Special K" comes from.....very potent, dangerous stuff...
                    hope it did not contribute to your not feeling good...

feel better soon...
                    jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                      Hi Melissa--how is your neck feeling now. Did the surgery help the issues? Is it much better now? I really hope so for all of your pain.
                      My neck is doing great. I have so much more mobility than I did before. Now that I am weaning myself of the brace, my back is bothering me somewhat

Thanks for asking

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        hi Melissa
                        i hope your stomach issues resolve soon...
                        sorry you are not feeling so great...

wow...ketamine...didn't realize they are still using that stuff medically...
                        it is the same stuff that the street drug "Special K" comes from.....very potent, dangerous stuff...
                        hope it did not contribute to your not feeling good...

feel better soon...
                        jess...and Sparky
                        Dr Bederman said that UCI orthopedic department is using ketamine during surgery in order to cut down on post op pain. He said that they felt it was worth it so that less narcotics were needed.

I will never use it again. I lost a whole week of my life.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• so sorry that happened to you....
                          best to do what he said about telling them you are allergic....
                          even if not, doctors often do not like to listen to patients if they
                          say there is a medication they do not like, because of the effect
                          or after effect...
                          but allergies doctors have respect for!

feel better...
                          jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Ketamine is being investigated as a cure, yes cure, for PTSD as far as I know. It looks extremely promising.

Also, ketamine explains the hallucinations that the neurosurgeon had who wrote a book claiming he went to heaven. So even neurosurgeons can be fooled if they have no experience with the drug.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 07-19-2013, 06:03 AM.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• interesting...i started to look that up on internet...

it said ketamine can lift symptoms of depression for 7-10 days...
                              but no mention of PERMANENT relief...

i saw it is in clinical trials for tx of PTSD...as of 2012

but if it didn't relieve the PTSD permanently, then it would be a tx, not
                              a cure....
                              ????????????????
                              it did say it worked rapidly...and it reconnects nerves to form new pathways...
                              it also said it gets rid of fearful memories...

i would think the doctor who wrote and talked about his experience
                              with heaven...i saw him on TV...would know about ketamine and would
                              have ruled out the drug as what caused his experience to happen...

jess
                              Last edited by jrnyc; 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• I booked my hip surgery for August 15. I will be in the hospital 2-3 days. Quite a change for me. I am then going home as my insurance will not pay for any decent rehab.
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X