Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
    Thanks Jennifer and Roher for your good wishes

I just want to feel better. I am so tired of being in pain. I know that I will never be painfree but I would like to get as close as possible

Melissa
    We all want you to feel better, too. Is your memory improving? What pain meds are you on? I know that if I'm taking strong doses of narcotic when I haven't had them for awhile, my memory gets pretty foggy, too. Even now I think I'm going crazy sometimes. Oh, wait... I think I've already gone.... zoom!....There went my mind!

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the type of general anesthesia they used. Sometimes it takes a month to get it all out of your system. Compound that with the pain meds and you think you are losing it. I assure you, you aren't. You talk quite coherently on the forum.

I collapsed one time after general anesthesia...TWO WEEKS later!!! I wasn't even on any pain meds. I didn't need them for what I had done.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• I might have some good news soon. My daughter is seeing a lawyer tomorrow about her boyfriend's parental rights. She wants to come home here. She finally has told me what the problem is with him. She told me that he is so controlling over every aspect of her life. She does not want to see what he does with the baby.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I must have missed something really big, Melissa.
        I thought your daughter miscarried and moved home with you? Has she returned to him and had a child or become pregnant to term? I'm glad she's coming back home. It's going to be hard. But I'm glad for you and her and your grandchild.
        As far as I know a pregnant woman doesn't have to name the father on the child's birth certificate if they aren't legally married, UNLESS he pursues and proves paternity with DNA testing after the child is born. But then ALL of the expense is on HIM and likely, living that far away (if the child isn't born) all he will get is an order for child support payments if she can prove to Human Services that he is a threat to the child.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• I've been down that road one too many times. It isn't hard to prove the father is a threat, either. You don't have to have physical proof, just valid reasons like being some sort of self-proclaimed prophet...Remember Waco, Tx? That kind of scary stuff.
          Last edited by rohrer01; 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• I am glad that there's something happening in your life that's making you happy.

How's your neck, Melissa? Do you feel the surgery was successful?
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              I am glad that there's something happening in your life that's making you happy.

How's your neck, Melissa? Do you feel the surgery was successful?
              Thanks Jennifer. I just hope that it works out for her.

This surgery has been wonderful.It is definitly successful.

Watching movies is much more comfortable for me. I can see much more to the sides of my head. I can finish a bottle of water. Talking to people is so much easier now. Dr Bederman is wonderful. I am just sad that this is my last surgery with him
              Melissa

Comment

• I have a problem. I am losing my hair. I have a big bald spot in the back that is getting bigger. Is that from surgery?

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
                  I am so glad this surgery has been successful for you and you are already feeling the good effects. As far as hair--I definitely lost hair!--and I only had the one big surgery. I'm amazed you haven't before. I was told by someone--can't remember--to take Biotin. I took just one capsule at first and the GNC lady said she'd lost most of hers from surgery and really upped the doseage. I did and started seeing results after about 3 weeks. I still just take one a day--it's for hair, skin and nails. I'm afraid I can't remember the doseage right now.
                  Hang in there! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• After my surgery, my hairdresser told me to not be surprised if I lost a lot of hair as it's fairly normal after surgery -- a side effect of the anesthesia. So don't worry about this. Still praying for you about the court fiasco. Hugs, Susie
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                      After my surgery, my hairdresser told me to not be surprised if I lost a lot of hair as it's fairly normal after surgery -- a side effect of the anesthesia. So don't worry about this. Still praying for you about the court fiasco. Hugs, Susie
                      Thanks for the prayers.

I seem to be able to always use them
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                        Melissa--
                        I am so glad this surgery has been successful for you and you are already feeling the good effects. As far as hair--I definitely lost hair!--and I only had the one big surgery. I'm amazed you haven't before. I was told by someone--can't remember--to take Biotin. I took just one capsule at first and the GNC lady said she'd lost most of hers from surgery and really upped the doseage. I did and started seeing results after about 3 weeks. I still just take one a day--it's for hair, skin and nails. I'm afraid I can't remember the doseage right now.
                        Hang in there! Janet
                        Thanks Janet. i will look for Biotin. Yes with all of the surgeries that I have had this is the first one that I am losing hair. It is , also, the one that I had the worst recovery from as well. However, I am so happy with the results of this surgery.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                          Melissa--
                          Hang in there! Janet
                          Janet,

What was the dose of the Biotin ? Did you increase the dose after starting it or have you just stayed at the same amount? Are there any side effects that you found?

Thanks

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• So good to hear that you are happy with the surgery!
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                            Osteotomy

Comment

• Yaaay! I'm so glad to hear your surgery results have been so pleasing. Dr. Bederman, we applaud you! <big grin>

As for the hair. At first I didn't notice my hair getting thinner but at one year out I did notice my hair was thinner around my face. The hair at the back was still thick. I could see my scalp through my hair at the front if I didn't brush it right. I'm now 4.5 years out from surgery (and have had one further surgery since - gall bladder) and I have masses of short, new hair growing around my face.

I thought at first it might have been to do with getting older, but it's coming back, so obviously not.

I hope the Biotin helps you, as it did Janet.

Still grinning about your good news. You really were due for something good in your life. I hope there's plenty more.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Melissa,
                                My dermatologist recommended Appearex. It is Biotin in a more absorbable form and it especially helped my nails. You don't need a prescription for it but you might have to ask the pharmacist for it. It is cheaper in Target. It takes longer to help with hair, at least it did with me. I am also using Monaxadil of men and that is really helping with the hair. It is so embarrassing to have thin hair. Good luck.
                                Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X