No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news! I'm so glad you can relax now, as your surgery date nears. We're with you all the way.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I only have this week to get through without my pain killer. At least, I can still take my robaxin.

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Except for the fact that I am not ready to go to the hospital, I wish It was next week.I am in so much pain

Melissa
        Melissa

Comment

• Now, i do not know what is going to happen. As of today, my insurance company has not yet approved the surgery. My surgeon sent it in May 16 and twice already Health Net has requested more information. The girl in Dr Bederman's office has been doing the approvals for many years, almost 10 years and she knows how to send in the appropriate information.

Also, it does not look like Health net will approve Acute Rehab at UCI or anywhere. They only thing they offer you is a nursing home. I refuse to go there. If I have the surgery, it looks like I will be going home from the hospital and just rotting in bed
          Melissa

Comment

• These insurance companies are unbelievable. They seem to be a law unto themselves and messing up schedules of hospitals and surgeons doesn't seem to bother them! This just causes more work and more stress (as if there isn't enough.) They have far too much power, in my opinion (as someone whose only knowledge comes from reading these forums, of course!) I'll be watching this thread for news. Good luck Melissa. I hope some degree of reasonableness is found.

Is there some sort of agency which oversees problematic insurance companies?

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              These insurance companies are unbelievable. They seem to be a law unto themselves and messing up schedules of hospitals and surgeons doesn't seem to bother them! This just causes more work and more stress (as if there isn't enough.) They have far too much power, in my opinion (as someone whose only knowledge comes from reading these forums, of course!) I'll be watching this thread for news. Good luck Melissa. I hope some degree of reasonableness is found.

Is there some sort of agency which oversees problematic insurance companies?
              This is a CA agency that oversees insurance company. I am just waiting until Friday to see their decision.

Thanks

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

• I hope you don't have to use them. I would just like to see a smooth ride into this surgery, and have it be a complete success. Goodness knows you deserve it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  I hope you don't have to use them. I would just like to see a smooth ride into this surgery, and have it be a complete success. Goodness knows you deserve it.
                  Thanks Jennifer. I will keep everyone informed

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• I called Health Net and they will be making a decision no later than 9:43am Friday morning

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• I finally got good news from this insurance company. My surgery has been approved

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• I'm so glad for you Melissa. What a shame they couldn't have done it sooner, to save you so much grief. Now, I really do hope you can relax and just ease down to June 3rd, and that all goes exceptionally well!

Comment

• great news Melissa. Boy they really put you though a lot of worrying on this!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Wonderful news! May the surgery proceed! And this time may it all go smoothly-- NO BUMPS! I'll be praying for you, Melissa! Here's to a relatively quick recovery too, and good care in the hospital and rehab. Hugs, Susie
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Please pray for me. For some reason,I am very nervous about this surgery. I do not know why but I have very bad anxiety .

Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                                Please pray for me. For some reason,I am very nervous about this surgery. I do not know why but I have very bad anxiety .

Melissa
                                Melissa,
                                Anxiety comes with the territory. You have had some very extreme surgeries. I remember the first time I had surgery for something I swore that I would NEVER let anyone cut into me again for any reason. Well, I had a problem come up and a doctor wanted to set me up with a surgeon to have a minor surgery. I said that I would call and set the appointment up with the surgeon, which I intentionally never did.

The next time I had surgery, I was so paranoid because during my previous surgery they gave me the paralytic but not the anesthesia, so I felt everything. The only way I could be reassured was to have brain wave activity monitored during my surgery. I still request it.

The point is, you know how difficult and painful surgery is. It's not abnormal to have anxiety. Having surgery is NOT something that is natural OR something we just "get used to".

Is there any way that your doctor can call in a Rx for some anxiety meds to get you through the weekend?
                                You trust your doctor, right? That is a big thing there. I'm pretty sure he's not going to let you die. Think of how much better you will feel being able to have your head up! Try looking past the surgery at the end result. That's what I always have to do.

Do you have anyone who can post your progress for you?

Hugs!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X